February 2013 Moms

She's hungry, vent

Sorry if this is long. I am so sick of my BIL always telling me I need to feed my DD solid foods. Every time I see him he asks me is she eating real food yet. I always say no, just milk. He always makes comments like She looks hungry, or Why aren't you feeding her? What's with the obsession with what my child eats? He is 26 years old, unmarried, no kids, not exactly the baby loving type, so why the unsolicited feeding advice? Other people comment too when I say my LO is 5 months the first thing they ask is if she is sleeping well, and then is she eating solids yet. How many times do I have to say NO! We are waiting at LEAST until the recommended 6 months, if not later, especially since she was a preemie. She is a chunk, so she is eating just fine with only breast milk. But now my DH is starting to ask When should we start solids, i think all the comments are getting to him. He also has been asking how much longer I plan on BF. It's like everyone is so anxious for her to grow up. My original goal was to BF to 6 months, but now I am almost there and would like to continue longer but I feel like everyone is against me on it. I just hate having to explain or justify how I choose to feed my baby, especially to people who have no clue what the current recommendations are. Sorry for the long paragraph mobile rant!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1: 1/20/12; missed m/c 2/17/12; d&c 3/2/12
BFP #2: 6/1/12; EDD 2/12/13, DD born 1/5/13 at 34w 5d! 
BFP #3: 8/27/14; EDD 5/4/15
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: She's hungry, vent

• I don't get the comments on solids too much, but everyone wants me to give her formula. Every time I talk to my mom she brings it up. She has reflux and she's only 10th percentile for weight and apparently both of these problems stem from my inferior BM, according to her.
  • People just don't know what they're talking about! :P

DS just started cereal as recommended by the pediatrician because he sucks down 40 ounces a day. So basically he gets his 40 then 1 or 2 bowls of cereal a day of only a tablespoon each. The comments I get from everyone are "Oh so is he sleeping better!" or "He'll sleep good for you now!" And I smile politely when really I want to scream and say that cereal has no influence on his sleep!

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• I have told my parents to flat out quit asking me when we're going to give her juice, water, or solids. Apparently, my waiting to introduce these things is a condemnation of their parenting. I have told them it's not and to get over it.
    Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • I have found that people who aren't currently parents have no idea about the current recommendations.  Just wait until you don't turn her car seat forward facing the second she turns a year old, people will act like it's child abuse to make her ride backward.  "She has to bend her kneeeees!!!"  It's absurd.
    Missed m/c discovered 3/15/12 at 8w2d: "Henry."

imageView Full Size Image
    Jack 04/29/10 dairy peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder, Autism
    Rhys 01/25/13 Peanut and tree nut allergy, MSPI
    Lilypie - (cF7R) Lilypie - (Phka)

"We are in Buckingham Palace, the very heart of the British nation.  Sherlock Holmes, put your trousers ON!"

• OMG I have a family member who insists my baby is hungry any time she cries even if it is right after she has eaten.  My kid is in the 95th percentile for weight so it is not like she is starving.  She literally tells me over and over to feed her.  As if it is her child and her decision.  So annoying.  She also asks me every time we see her when we are starting solids.  I have probably explained why we are waiting till 6 months about 5 times now.  People are so annoying when it comes to babies.  I just want to scream back off!
  • image DC2London:
    I have found that people who aren't currently parents have no idea about the current recommendations.  Just wait until you don't turn her car seat forward facing the second she turns a year old, people will act like it's child abuse to make her ride backward.  "She has to bend her kneeeees!!!"  It's absurd.

Yes  I got all these comments with DS1.  People leave me alone now about DS2.  Either they accepted it or I started to get a little snarky with them. ;)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I do not understand why anyway thinks they get any say at all in how you feed your baby. I swear to God it should be legal to punch everyone who gives unsolicited advice right square in the mouth. Nope I'm not super frustrated about this at all.
  • I think people really just have no clue about babies, especially if they don't have one themselves. I was at Target yesterday, and the cashier asked me, "Can I give her a sticker, or will she eat it?" I really didn't know what to say.

• I feel for you. At least once a day I get a "you're still breastfeeding!?!?!?!?" comment. So annoying. It takes every ounce of my being not to be a total b-word.

Not to mention my ILs who are obsessed with rice cereal and formula. It's really going to blow their mind when they find out were skipping cereal altogether! Or, even better, I plan to BF until DS self weans. Seriously, if my MIL sees me BFing a toddler she might $hit her pants. 

Personally, I get a little bit of sick satisfaction out of knowing that I'm doing what's best for DS despite the lack of support so the comments actually don't bother me.  I'm a disturbed individual. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Our Sweet Boy "LJ"