Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

about cow's milk

LO is nearly a year old, and we're trying to figure out all things related to cow's milk. I was wondering:

1. After LO starts drinking it, how long do you leave it out if it doesn't get chugged down at once?

2. What are your on the go solutions for cow's milk? I am thinking of an ice pack, but LO drinks her milk at room temperature, and I don't know how we can get ice cold milk to room temperature without also bringing along a thermos of hot water for it to sit in ... just seems complicated, and I'm wondering if there are other solutions.

3. Do you use any other supplements, such as vitamin D or iron?

Thanks!

Re: about cow's milk

• imagePleione:

2. What are your on the go solutions for cow's milk? I am thinking of an ice pack, but LO drinks her milk at room temperature, and I don't know how we can get ice cold milk to room temperature without also bringing along a thermos of hot water for it to sit in ... just seems complicated, and I'm wondering if there are other solutions.

TetraPaks of milk (no idea how this is on price):

https://www.amazon.com/Horizon-Organic-8-Ounce-Aseptic-Cartons/dp/B001HTR4WA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1372134534&sr=8-4&keywords=horizon+organic+milk+18+pack

IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• 1. After LO starts drinking it, how long do you leave it out if it doesn't get chugged down at once?  I don't know what the official limit is but we give it about 2 hours.

2. What are your on the go solutions for cow's milk? I am thinking of an ice pack, but LO drinks her milk at room temperature, and I don't know how we can get ice cold milk to room temperature without also bringing along a thermos of hot water for it to sit in ... just seems complicated, and I'm wondering if there are other solutions. We don't do milk on the go. I don't bother with coolers and such unless we are going to be gone all day. Even then, if we are home in the morning and home in the evening we will just do milk then and skip it during the day. If we go to a restaurant I order him milk there.

3. Do you use any other supplements, such as vitamin D or iron? Store bought whole milk has vitamin D added to it. We don't supplement vitamin D unless he is exposed to an illness and we feel like he needs an extra boost to help with immunity (we have drops). We don't do an iron supplement but DS gets a pretty well-rounded diet so I'm not too concerned.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • J234J234 member

1. About an hour depending on how warm it is where the milk was left.  Less if it's hot.  

2.  Our first step is no milk, just a water bottle.  However, LO LOVES milk, so we use the Horizon Organic milk boxes.  

3. No supplements so far.  I put spinach in her smoothies-does that count?  Actually, SHE puts it in her smoothies.   

• 1. I don't have any hard and fast rules about how long I leave it out. If we are home, I always throw the sippy cup back in the fridge once he goes down for a nap, so probably no more than two hours at room temp. If I think it's been longer or it's a particularly warm day I will taste and smell it myself.

2. For shorter outings I stick with water or if it will be over a meal time, I throw a sippy of milk in the insulated pocket of the diaper bag. For longer outings I use my Medela breastmilk cooler and ice pack.

3. DS is on a multi-vitamin, no additional supplements. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes, I'm probably over thinking this - I tend to do that! :) But in this case, it's because kiddo is a terrible eater. She was only doing 15 oz of formula a day, and eating a total of half to one cup of food total a day. We thought switching her to cow's milk might help free up tummy space for food, but no, she's still only doing 15 oz of cow's milk and the same amount of food. So I just don't want to short change her on the milk if we're out and about, as she eats so little anyway.
  • imagePleione:

LO is nearly a year old, and we're trying to figure out all things related to cow's milk. I was wondering:

1. After LO starts drinking it, how long do you leave it out if it doesn't get chugged down at once?

I don't leave it out. I put the leftovers back in the fridge. She drinks it cold and I highly recommend switching your LO to that. 

i bought a sippy thermos ar BRU for about $15. It keeps milk cold for about 10 hrs. So said the flyer at least. We're never out long enough to test that anyway. 

3. Do you use any other supplements, such as vitamin D or iron? 

No. 

Thanks!

• imageTiffanyBerry:
    imagePleione:

TetraPaks of milk (no idea how this is on price):

https://www.amazon.com/Horizon-Organic-8-Ounce-Aseptic-Cartons/dp/B001HTR4WA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1372134534&sr=8-4&keywords=horizon+organic+milk+18+pack

Thanks, that's helpful. I just need to find the whole milk version of this now.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"