Cloth Diapering

Bummis BeautifulBASIC - Day 4 Review

I just thought I'd share my journey, as I slowly dip my toes into the pool of cloth diapering.  DS is 4 months, but only weighs 12lbs 9oz, he's a big time mover and is on the skinny side.  

Last week I bought the Bummis BeautifulBASIC Infant Boy package which came with 3 prefolds and 1 cover for 8-15lbs.  I liked the idea of a sized diaper in hopes that it wouldn't be too big, but dislike the fact that in a couple months we'll likely have to size up.

My first impression of the diaper being big and bulky still stands true.  I just don't like that DS doesn't seem able to be as mobile in the CD.  But I do like that we have saved the world from 8 disposable diapers to this point.  

MY other initial fear was a "poppsplosion" as disposable diapers seem to have a tough time containing my BF baby's poop.  Today DS put the diaper to the test and took an enormous poop.  The cover kept it in, but got quite poop covered.  We were able to wash and rinse the prefolds and cover, and can only see a slight yellow stain on the edging of the cover where the elastic gathers.  It is outside in the sun right now to see if that helps.  All in all I put that in the win column for CD.

I'm anxious to hear a friends attempt at CD last week as she tried BG 4.0 - we're swapping stories tomorrow.  I'm very curious to hear if anyone on here can recommend a nice trim fit CD.  I know gdiapers look trim, but they get mixed reviews and are pricey.  Suggestions ladies?  I plan to try at least 1 - 2 more brands as I build my mini stash of CD.  (DH refuses to go exclusively CD, so I'm also looking to try Flips since I can use disposable inserts). 

*** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
imageimage

Re: Bummis BeautifulBASIC - Day 4 Review

• My trimmest diaper is fuzzibunz elite one size. My LO is similar shape to yours, at 6 months she is 14 lbs 11 oz. They are very adjustable, so it might take a couple tries to find the perfect setting. Because they are so narrow between the legs they don't hold enough for my LO for nighttime. But they're my fave daytime diaper. For naps I use a bamboo booster (from my SBish fitteds) with one of the included inserts, and its plenty for my heavy wetter. For regular day wear the included inserts are enough.

For disposable inserts, they can be used in any cover. I prefer a grovia biosoaker in a bummis or flip cover. The grovia ones have sticky spots on the back (like a pad) to keep it from moving around like flip does. They also have gussets to keep poop in. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image ForeverEverAfter:

My trimmest diaper is fuzzibunz elite one size. My LO is similar shape to yours, at 6 months she is 14 lbs 11 oz. They are very adjustable, so it might take a couple tries to find the perfect setting. Because they are so narrow between the legs they don't hold enough for my LO for nighttime. But they're my fave daytime diaper. For naps I use a bamboo booster (from my SBish fitteds) with one of the included inserts, and its plenty for my heavy wetter. For regular day wear the included inserts are enough.

For disposable inserts, they can be used in any cover. I prefer a grovia biosoaker in a bummis or flip cover. The grovia ones have sticky spots on the back (like a pad) to keep it from moving around like flip does. They also have gussets to keep poop in. 

Very thorough, thank you for all the help.  I'll see if I can find fuzzibunz, my local store doesn't carry them.  Thanks again! 

*** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
    imageimage
  • We just started too and I have the same complaint.  I don't like the "fluffy butt". :) My kid is gigantic as it is.  I decided to use covers and prefolds and they are just a little more fluffy than a disposable, so I like that better.  I also like the wipe and reuse idea over having to wash the whole diaper with every pee.  It's certainly more cost effective.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Trimmest diapers for us are Bottombumpers sized, Blueberry prev Swaddlebees simplex 2.0 sized, Peachy Green, BGE or the Best Bottoms system with the hemp/cotton insert.
  • Try using the bikini twist with your Bummis dipes. Works wonders for keeping that newborn poop off the cover and is also much trimmer allowing your baby more freedom of movement. There is no snappi required to hold it in place so long as you do the cover up tightly. We have honestly tried a gazillion options and the prefolds are the more reliable thing we've found yet. One of my fave things about them is that you can fold them so many different ways to suit the needs of your baby as they grow. Here's a link to show you a few simple folds. Bikini twist included. Good luck and feel free to message me with any other questions. Love my Bummis!

http://www.bummis.com/media/prefold-foldingcp1.pdf?0001-4630dd4e-4c21028b-f08f-585ba977