May 2013 Moms

Feeding Frequency?

My LO is a month old and wants to eat a bazillion times a day still. He wants to eat every 45 to 90 minutes. He'll eat for like 30 minutes on average.
At the Pedi today he screamed because he wanted to be fed even though it was only an hr since he last ate. I asked and the pedi said to stretch feedings to 3 or 3 1/2 hrs. I asked for advice on how and he said invest in earplugs!
I'm not really worried except today while stretching feedings he is just sleeping more. I'm afraid this means he won't sleep as well at night.
Any other advice on stretching feedings?
image imageimage

Re: Feeding Frequency?

• That's how often my LO eats. She's hungry, so I feed her. My only advice is to get a new pedi.
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic          

image  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was wanting to know this too. Now my Lo does eat every 3 hours but every one and then i get an afternoon that he wants to eat every hour and i didn't know how to not feed him till the 3 hour mark
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • KashyKashy
    Ninth Anniversary 250 Answers 500 Love Its 500 Comments
    image scormier123:
    That's how often my LO eats. She's hungry, so I feed her. My only advice is to get a new pedi.

Yeah this.

If LO is hungry I feed him. I will not with hold food from him when he is hungry. They are just little so they will eat often.
    Augustus David - Born 5/08/13

my read shelf:
    April's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • image scormier123:
    That's how often my LO eats. She's hungry, so I feed her. My only advice is to get a new pedi.

I hope your Pedi was joking about the earplugs. Otherwise Id also be looking for a new one!
  • image scormier123:

I hope your Pedi was joking about the earplugs. Otherwise Id also be looking for a new one!
  • image scormier123:

Ha yeah he was kidding with the earplugs remark. He said soothe and use the pacifier as needed and stretch in increments if needed. I just hope he continues to sleep 6 hrs at night!

Eta I really agree with my pediatrician because LO is starting daycare in less than a month and he won't be fed on demand then so he needs to be used to longer stretches. That's why I asked him in the first place about his eating habits because I was afraid he wouldnt be ready for daycare.
    image imageimage

• HZ2012HZ2012
    500 Comments 100 Love Its Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    This is probably a growth spurt. I was at the pedi today and this came up. He said if he's hungry to feed him. Just make sure you burp him really well because the more they eat the gassier they get.

• image scormier123:

This. Why on Earth would a pediatrician tell you not to feed your newborn for 3 hours? Mine told me to feed LO when she's hungry. Time for a new doc.

imageimageimageimage

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I am going to bet at the 60 minute mark your kid is screaming because he/she is is tired not hungry but feeding pacifies him/her. I agree that you need to feed on demand but I also think it is easy to mix hungry cues with tired cues and diaper cues at this age. That is how DS got diaper rash, so I am speaking from the trenches not as a superior I know everything mom. Babies this age in general need to eat every 23 hours and feeding more frequently can mean snacks and not good full feedings. Fewer feedings but good full feedings could mean more calories because more hindmilk. It is certainly not true for all babies or all days, but I think this is the reasoning behind what your pedi is saying. Also in most babies better sleep during the day means better sleep at night and a happier baby when awake.

Edited because I didn't answer the question. At around the hour mark from the start of the last feeding before he starts fussing or crying if possible, I swaddle him or put him in the KTan and walk around with him. It usually takes 5 minutes for him to fall asleep. With DD I would put her in the swing on high and it would put her to sleep. If there is fussing/crying after 5 minutes I reassess the situation. There hardly ever is. Once I got in a good routines with DS I could put her down drowsy but that was at about 8 weeks, so I am not worried about bad habits. I would take any fussiness prior to 2 hours only as hunger after all other possibilities have been eliminated. Sometimes it is hunger, but I only offer the boob after I know he isn't wet or tired or uncomfortable or in need of a snuggle.

• delinodelino
    5000 Comments 100 Love Its Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    Why won't daycare feed the baby on demand?
    3 ectopic pregnancies (EDD's 1/30/12-tube removed, 6/2/12-methotrexate and 10/2/12-methotrexate)
    IVF and Natural FET resulted in BFN's and a hole in our wallets
    Natural BFP #4 on 9/7/12 gave us our miracle on 5/18/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image MermaidNM:
    I am going to bet at the 60 minute mark your kid is screaming because he/she is is tired not hungry but feeding pacifies him/her. I agree that you need to feed on demand but I also think it is easy to mix hungry cues with tired cues and diaper cues at this age. That is how DS got diaper rash, so I am speaking from the trenches not as a superior I know everything mom. Babies this age in general need to eat every 23 hours and feeding more frequently can mean snacks and not good full feedings. Fewer feedings but good full feedings could mean more calories because more hindmilk. It is certainly not true for all babies or all days, but I think this is the reasoning behind what your pedi is saying. Also in most babies better sleep during the day means better sleep at night and a happier baby when awake.

I agree with this. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would see a LC. I would make certain your baby is feeding for the full 30 minutes first before I attempted stretching feedings.  I'm assuming weight gain and number of nappies is as required?
    imageimage
  • image KateRN08:

image MermaidNM:
    I am going to bet at the 60 minute mark your kid is screaming because he/she is is tired not hungry but feeding pacifies him/her. I agree that you need to feed on demand but I also think it is easy to mix hungry cues with tired cues and diaper cues at this age. That is how DS got diaper rash, so I am speaking from the trenches not as a superior I know everything mom. Babies this age in general need to eat every 23 hours and feeding more frequently can mean snacks and not good full feedings. Fewer feedings but good full feedings could mean more calories because more hindmilk. It is certainly not true for all babies or all days, but I think this is the reasoning behind what your pedi is saying. Also in most babies better sleep during the day means better sleep at night and a happier baby when awake.

I agree with this. 

Agreed. My LO was "eating" frequently til I introduced the pacifier. I did so because someone on one of these boards mentioned that when their LO got fussy while eating they were trying to soothe and were frustrated that milk was coming out. Since doing that he has stretched out feedings and is not fussy while eating.
    Of course today we are hitting a growth spurt so he'll spit out the paci because he wants to eat. I would try soothing and see if he's really hungry or if he's sleepy and needs to soothe.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image MermaidNM:
    I am going to bet at the 60 minute mark your kid is screaming because he/she is is tired not hungry but feeding pacifies him/her. I agree that you need to feed on demand but I also think it is easy to mix hungry cues with tired cues and diaper cues at this age. That is how DS got diaper rash, so I am speaking from the trenches not as a superior I know everything mom. Babies this age in general need to eat every 23 hours and feeding more frequently can mean snacks and not good full feedings. Fewer feedings but good full feedings could mean more calories because more hindmilk. It is certainly not true for all babies or all days, but I think this is the reasoning behind what your pedi is saying. Also in most babies better sleep during the day means better sleep at night and a happier baby when awake. Edited because I didn't answer the question. At around the hour mark from the start of the last feeding before he starts fussing or crying if possible, I swaddle him or put him in the KTan and walk around with him. It usually takes 5 minutes for him to fall asleep. With DD I would put her in the swing on high and it would put her to sleep. If there is fussing/crying after 5 minutes I reassess the situation. There hardly ever is. Once I got in a good routines with DS I could put her down drowsy but that was at about 8 weeks, so I am not worried about bad habits. I would take any fussiness prior to 2 hours only as hunger after all other possibilities have been eliminated. Sometimes it is hunger, but I only offer the boob after I know he isn't wet or tired or uncomfortable or in need of a snuggle.

Agree! And I just wanted to add that sleep begets MORE sleep. So the better they nap during the day, the more they sleep at night. A baby that is up too much during the day can become overtired and not go down well at all for night time.

Keep up the good work mamas! I also had a hard time telling the difference between wet cries, hungry cries, and sleepy cries. Like, really hard! I am on week 3.5 and finally THINK I have it figured out....maybe? :-) 

• Interesting. My LO still eats every two hours, except for the occasional three hour stretch if she's sleeping (usually once during the day and once at night). This last week or so she's had a couple of times where she's been hungry after only an hour or so. We are pumping so I know how much she is taking in. I think she's been going through a growth spurt with the occasional more frequent feedings, but there is no soothing her when she wants food. I have a hard time holding her off the amount of time it takes me to heat up a bottle, there is no way I could hold her off an hour if she was hungry! 
  • image allydncr:
    I have a hard time holding her off the amount of time it takes me to heat up a bottle, there is no way I could hold her off an hour if she was hungry!nbsp;

This applies for my LO, too. Sometimes I try to buy myself a few minutes by using the pacifier, but it rarely works.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    Oct '14 October Signature Challenge: Halloween Fails
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image Lolalipsy:
    I would see a LC. I would make certain your baby is feeding for the full 30 minutes first before I attempted stretching feedings. nbsp;I'm assuming weight gain and number of nappies is as required?

Yep he's gaining weight wonderfully. He gained over an oz a day. I do want to do a weighted feeding though and that may help.
    image imageimage

• image delino:
    Why won't daycare feed the baby on demand?

To be honest I havent asked. I go on Wednesday to fill out paperwork and discuss details but I assumed no daycare will feed every hour if they only have 2 staff. How would they do anything else? I know I cant accomplish anything during the day at all the way LO is eating.
    image imageimage

• image MermaidNM:

Edited because I didn't answer the question. At around the hour mark from the start of the last feeding before he starts fussing or crying if possible, I swaddle him or put him in the KTan and walk around with him. It usually takes 5 minutes for him to fall asleep. With DD I would put her in the swing on high and it would put her to sleep. If there is fussing/crying after 5 minutes I reassess the situation. There hardly ever is. Once I got in a good routines with DS I could put her down drowsy but that was at about 8 weeks, so I am not worried about bad habits. I would take any fussiness prior to 2 hours only as hunger after all other possibilities have been eliminated. Sometimes it is hunger, but I only offer the boob after I know he isn't wet or tired or uncomfortable or in need of a snuggle.

Thank you. I do believe this and also think its where the doctor is coming from.
    image imageimage

• image kathleenkuebler:
    i totally agree about getting a new pedi! thats ridiculous "advice". when i breastfed my first, i would feed her on demand...eventually she got into a really good routine, and stopped feeding constantly. it just takes time.

Yeah but I really think 9 or 10 bottles a day for daycare is excessive when everything I've read says they should be eating 8 to 10 times a day total.
    image imageimage

• I definitely agree with several PPs that it very well could be a reason other than hunger that your LO is fussing.

My DH is kind of a know it all and he pretty much assumes that every time our DD fusses she is hungry. He believes this even after I have given her a 4oz bottle of breastmilk. Sometimes she just wants a pacifier, occasionally she fusses when she needs a clean diaper but that's rare. I have also learned what her tired cry sounds like.

It's hard to know for sure but I would definitely try multiple things before always assuming its hunger, GL!