Breastfeeding

Ameda vs. Medela

I'm currently 3 months pregnant with baby #2. I BFed DD for 13 months, using a manual pump for occasional bottles (I'm a SAHM, so figured that would be good enough). It worked out ok, but I recently found out that my insurance will cover the cost of a double electric pump, which would work even better while caring for a newborn and toddler. The supplier I can buy from has both Ameda and Medela brands. For those who are familiar with electric pumps, what do you like/dislike about each brand? It's probably between the Ameda Purely Yours or the Medela Pump In Style.
imageimage
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Ameda vs. Medela

• I had the same choice with my insurance. I got Ameda. I haven't used it yet I EBF for now. But I chose this one because it came with extra stuff that they weren't offering with the Medela the Medela was on back order.
    I suggest if you haven't already ask your insurance what the differences are.
    XOXO,
    JM

• It seems to me that most people here are happy with their Ameda, but I was not. It seemed cheaply made. It did not even have good enough suction to double pump. I heard that they have good customer service, but I didn't think that replacement parts or even a replacement pump would have made me any happier with it. My insurance provided it for free... No option... And I ended up purchasing a PISA on my own. The Ameda bag isn't even very nice, and accessories generally aren't that ex
    imageimage
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• It seems to me that most people here are happy with their Ameda, but I was not. It seemed cheaply made. It did not even have good enough suction to double pump. I heard that they have good customer service, but I didn't think that replacement parts or even a replacement pump would have made me any happier with it. My insurance provided it for free... No option... And I ended up purchasing a PISA on my own. The Ameda bag isn't even very nice, and accessories generally aren't that expensive. I'd go with the Medela.
    imageimage

• I have a Medela PISA from baby #1 that I plan to use again.  Note that if you're getting it through your insurance carrier, it's likely not the Medela PISA, but the Medela Advanced.  From what I gather they're very similar (same motor), but the Medela Advanced has slightly less functionality (no let down button) and doesn't come with the nice black carrying bag/tote.
    photo b7603f18-5e8c-441f-a34e-bc0a1d2a02f8_zpsf639870a.jpg
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • AmyRIAmyRI
    Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Love Its Name Dropper

The Medela PIS has a dual-speed letdown function that has a very fast repetition rate in the beginning to trigger a let down and then a slower pace to extract milk more efficiently. However, it is an open system (milk and milk vapor have the potential to get into the tubes, behind the faceplate, and onto the motor cover which cannot be disinfected). It is not safe for a second person to use, so you can't sell it when you're done with it.

The Ameda does not go as fast as the Medela, so anyone used to the fast phase will not like the Purely Yours. However, since you got by with a manual pump, I bet you'd be plenty happy with the Ameda. The biggest pro to it is that it's safe for another person to use (after replacing the parts that touch milk - the flanges/connectors, bottles, valves, and diaphrams).

• I have 2 PISA and love them. Awesome customer service. Have never had an ameda. 

"They can never have yesterday"
  • Thank you everyone for your responses! Sounds like it could go either way at this point. :)
    imageimage
  • image mrshall10210:
    It seems to me that most people here are happy with their Ameda, but I was not. It seemed cheaply made. It did not even have good enough suction to double pump. I heard that they have good customer service, but I didn't think that replacement parts or even a replacement pump would have made me any happier with it. My insurance provided it for free...

This. I was happy with it at first but i feel like it loses its sucking power. I started using it as a single bc it had slightly more power but even then it would weaken. Turning up the suction did nothing. Medela is better.
    Ive been using the single [swing] if and when i pump now. A double would be better but i already had the single and was counting on the ameda. O well.
  • I'd go with the medela. I have the medela freestyle and ameda that I got through my insurance. I've used the freestyle for DS and now exclusively for DD. I got the ameda as a backup. I tried it the first night and could tell the suction wasn't very strong. I pumped until all the milk stopped and it was less than I normally get so I pumped immediately after with my medela and got another ounce. I had been using the ameda at full suction strength and use the medela at only half strength.
  • image shelbyl:
    I had been using the ameda at full suction strength and use the medela at only half strength.

Yes, this!

I would have the Ameda cranked up as high as it would go, and felt like it wasn't really doing much. I wanted to turn it up higher!
    imageimage

• Ok. I have both. I have a Pisa on loan to me and an Ameda. I have to admit I like the Pisa better, however I use my Ameda flanges/tubing etc. with it instead. I was using the Medela parts it came with but milk kept getting in the tubing gross! and it was so difficult to get out. So maybe get both and you'll have the perfect pump. Lol.
  • image Sarelnad:
    Ok. I have both. I have a Pisa on loan to me and an Ameda. I have to admit I like the Pisa better, however I use my Ameda flanges/tubing etc. with it instead. I was using the Medela parts it came with but milk kept getting in the tubing gross! and it was so difficult to get out. So maybe get both and you'll have the perfect pump. Lol.

Haha, thanks for the advice! :)

imageimage
  • I was using an Ameda in the hospital, and a Medea at home, an I find the Medela to be much more effective. i get an extra ounce with it vs the Ameda. I also think the flanges are more comfortable. That said, I'm comparing their two hospital grade versions, so I can't speak yet to the "normal" ones.
  • I have the Ameda PY and like it (I have nothing else to compare it to though).  I have been using it since I went back to work at 6 weeks postpartum.  I have not had any issues with the suction so far.  I like that it is small land a closed system.
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I had an Ameda Purely Yours and was happy with it.

I would actually guess that those that weren't happy had user errors. The valves are very easy to damage, and they age quickly. If you don't maintain them, you slowly lose suction. If you damage one, you lose it altogether. 

I wasn't going to spend $$$ on an open system Medela. It annoys me that they could easily make their design better and safer and they choose not to.