Baby Names

City names on accident

We named our DS Camden and I had no clue it was a city until after he was named. We are pretty far away from NJ so it didn't bug me. We are having another boy and my husband told me he wants to use the name Branson. I like it, but just realized its a city too. Honestly, would any of you personally think anything of it? They aren't super common city names...

Re: City names on accident

• Yes I would think city because I have been to Branson, Missouri.
    BFP#1 10/18/12 M/C 10/25/12 BFP#2 12/24/12 EDD 9/2/13 DS born 8/31/13 

imageimage
  • nope..I've never heard of either as a city, so I'd be clueless! lol

• I'm far from both of them, neither been to either, but I know they're both city names. I'd like to think most people in the US would be aware that they're cities!

image  image

• image coopsbaby:
    I'm far from both of them, neither been to either, but I know they're both city names. I'd like to think most people in the US would be aware that they're cities!
    This.
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • image coopsbaby:
    I'm far from both of them, neither been to either, but I know they're both city names. I'd like to think most people in the US would be aware that they're cities!

This. Never been to either but I know they're both cities.  

• Many names are also names of cities. don't stress. 

Mother of  Sable Rene' & Clifton Michael
    Blog    Names
  • image Keri Marie:
    Many names are also names of cities. don't stress.nbsp;

Yea, this. There's probably a city for every name out there. I wouldn't worry about it at all!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • majwv8majwv8
    250 Answers 2500 Comments Fifth Anniversary 500 Love Its
    Since I've never heard of Branson for a name I would definitely think city first. Camden on the other hand, I have seen before do I onto immediately think city. Probably depends on where you live though. [I live in the Midwest.]

For a sibset, I don't think I like that they both end in the same sound.
    imageimageimage
    *OMG*06.23.2013*
  • Camden is a hippy place in London, England!

photo 68267a67-3f26-46c7-99d0-402bfbfb6b87_zps2561b658.jpg
  • ObLaDiObLaDi
    2500 Comments Sixth Anniversary 100 Love Its First Answer
    I've never heard of Branson as a name, only as a city. I'm from New England.
  • Seriously?

The Queen Mother of Camdens is the poster child for what is wrong with American cities and on every "Worst Ten" list for quality of life in the U.S.

But even if you never availed yourself of the mainstream media, Camden is a pretty popular place name. There are Camdens in Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Michigan,Mississippi, Missouri, NJ, New York, NC, SC, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas, Washington and WV.  

• mmb248mmb248
    2500 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary
    I associate both names with city names, but if I loved the name, it wouldn't stop me from using it.
    imageimage
    Me: 33     DH: 38
    TTC since August 2011
    DX:  PCOS and subseptate uterus
    August 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI TI = BFN
    September 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    October 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI canceled
    November 2013:  NTNP
    April 2013:  Femara + Trigger + IUI = ???
  • image coopsbaby:

yeah, this. Sorry 

also, if you have ever watched my name is earl... 

imageimage
  • image mmb248:
    I associate both names with city names, but if I loved the name, it wouldn't stop me from using it.

This. However, I don't think Branson is a name at all.
    image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image g8trkim:
    image mmb248:

Most sources say it is English, but at least one source I found connects it to Germanic roots. 

imageimage

^ 7 weeks 6 days, measured at 8 weeks 2 days

BabyFetus Ticker

VOTE on my Name List

Second name list:

http://www.behindthename.com/pnl/142602

• Branson isn't a city around here so I wouldn't get the reference.

Camden is a lot of other things besides a city in NJ!  It's also a gorgeous coastal and resort town in Maine!!  And, it's a section of London as well as part of the name of Camden Yards where the Orioles play.

EDIT: Branson, MO?  I'm so sorry, midwesterners.  I've never heard of this city.  Embarrassed  I feel kinda ashamed.

~ twelve cycles ~ March 2014: Chemical Pregnancy ~
    image   image

Independence Hall, Philadelphia PA - the heart of our country in my hometown city; Atlantic Ocean island wedding, 2011.

"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up.  The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time." - Thomas Edison

(Don't make me regret it, new posters)

• image NerdyLucy:

image g8trkim:
    image mmb248:

Most sources say it is English, but at least one source I found connects it to Germanic roots. 

It is if you watch Downton Abbey! Although it is actually a last name.  I'm surprise no one mentioned that as that's what it makes me think of.

OP, I agree the combo is too much - both cities and both last names.

Celebrating 2 beautiful girlies under 2!!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It wouldn't bother me
    Our little Irish rose came to us on March 5, 2010
    Don't drink the water.
    Disclaimer: I am not an MD. Please don't PM me with pregnancy-related questions. Ask your doctor.
  • I wouldn't know Branson. I live in Philly so I definitely know Camden though, lol. 
  • image Joy2611:
    Branson isn't a city around here so I wouldn't get the reference.Camden is a lot of other things besides a city in NJ!nbsp; It's also a gorgeous coastal and resort town in Maine!!nbsp; And, it's a section of London as well as part of the name of Camden Yards where the Orioles play.nbsp;EDIT: Branson, MO?nbsp; I'm so sorry, midwesterners.nbsp; I've never heard of this city. nbsp;[:]nbsp; I feel kinda ashamed.

Camden Yards is the only Camden near me too! I don't know of any Branson's near us. The names don't seem that alarming to me.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I have heard of those cities but honestly would not have made the connection because they are not unusual names, it would be weird if you did Boston or New York ; )

I think pretty much any name is going to have a connotation for someone for something, do what you want!

Twin girls Isla and Fiona born on 1/11/2014 @ 25w. Isla passed away 5 days later, she will forever be in my heart, missing her always. Fiona is kicking ass and my hero!
  • I live in Missouri, so everyone here knows about Branson, so I wouldn't name my child that. However, if you do not live anywhere near the city with the same name as your child I wouldn't worry about it. 

I agree with pp that there are a large number of names that are also cities too. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker
  • image -auntie-:

Seriously?

The Queen Mother of Camdens is the poster child for what is wrong with American cities and on every "Worst Ten" list for quality of life in the U.S.

But even if you never availed yourself of the mainstream media, Camden is a pretty popular place name. There are Camdens in Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Maine, Michigan,Mississippi, Missouri, NJ, New York, NC, SC, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas, Washington and WV.  

This.  It has one of the highest homicide rates, especially for a city of its side. And I live in the Midwest.

I would immediately think of them being two cities.  Branson MO is known for its music attractions.

• I would pick up on it, but that's about it.  I wouldn't "think" much about it.

OaD September siggy challenge- fav fall food

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

• One city name, probably just a coincidence. But two? That seems like you're doing it on purpose, and if you're not, then don't do it, IMO.
  • I don't immediately think of "city" when I hear Camden, probably because I know some little boys named Camden. However, I am also from Missouri so I am very familiar with Branson. I don't like it as a name for a person.

What about Bronson? http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning/1/Bronson 

--------
    "Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light."
    - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 
  • I'm ok with using cities as names, but I just don't like Branson as a name. 
    Married 12/31/09

• I would avoid it.

I don't like Camden because I went to college in Philly and have a very negative associations with that name.  It just feels negative and violent to me.

Branson isn't a bad city, but it is a tacky place.  I had never been there until a few months ago (we are living in Kansas for 12 months and met some family for a few days there).  It is just a tourist trap, tacky, folksy, strange place in the Ozarks.

Both of those city names have some strong associations. 

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• I think you like "last names as first names" and that is going to overlap with cities.

Branson is named after Robert S. Branson. My guess is Camden was probably a last name at some point too.

That being said - The names do go together, I don't think I would think twice about little brothers Camden and Branson.  

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I had forgotten Camden is a city but yes I think city when you say Branson. Actually going there on vacation this summer.