Stay at Home Moms

Bitty baby versus American girl doll

I'm thinking about getting either a bitty baby or American girl doll for my DD when she is 5. Anyone have experience with either of these and 5YO?
View Full Size Image
Lilypie - (kxiS)
Lilypie - (BG2d)

Re: Bitty baby versus American girl doll

• I had both growing up! :) I think bitty baby would be better for a 5yo, but an American Girl would last her longer. At this age the big issue would probably be the hair getting yucky, and maybe she wouldn't be ready for all the accessories yet; but the dolls themselves are pretty durable. I'm sure she would love either!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image image
  • Bitty baby at that age.

I also played with my bitty baby and a.girls both for years and years.
  • My vote is for Bitty baby ten you can always step up to an American girl doll after, I don't think you could go backwards though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would recommend a bitty baby. I just had an American Girl and my mom made me wait until I was 7 (I think thats the bottom of their age limit in the catalog) to get it. I think younger then that I wouldn't have been ready. The hair does get pretty ratty easily. But if your DD already takes great, gentle care of her dolls you could go for the American Girl. And you can always send the doll to the "hospital" for a new head, if the hair gets too bad when she gets older.
  • our daughter got "itty" bitty baby at 1.5! still, at 7, she adores her and falls asleep with her in her arms every night :) she got her first doll at 5...she now has 4 of them. my daughter says a bitty baby would be good, but so would a bitty twin or a big doll with short hair -- like kit kittredge!!
  • My daughter got Bitty Baby when was was 1. It was a gift. As of now, she prefers her other dolls. She did recently get a set of the twins; which she LOVES! She carries them both everywhere--and if one is missing she goes "where is two dollies?"

The bitty twins might be another option for younger kids--since they do have hair to play with. 

• Thanks ladies, that's helpful. I'm figuring it would be a good idea to wait until DD2 is older, like 3 or 4 to get one for her.
    View Full Size Image
    Lilypie - (kxiS)
    Lilypie - (BG2d)
  • DD got bitty twins at age 5, and she has really loved them.  They are super sturdy, and the hair still looks perfect.  That being said, she is already begging for an American Girl at age 6, so it may have been better to just go to the AG doll, but I wanted to make certain she was responsible enough before we got into the bigger dolls.

imageimage
  • We found a bitty baby for DD at the Goodwill for $1. She has a few little scratches on her head, but I was sooo excited! We won't do an AG until DD is 6/7 I'd think.
    DD1: Maya 05/10
    DD2: Lucia (Lucy) 07/13
  • Ok, up until now I didn't care about gender at all, but this thread has made me start hoping that at least one of these twins is a girl. :) 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image image