August 2011 Moms

the fleas

I am so tired. I just want to cry. I have vacuumed every.single.day for hours at a time, I have washed everything in super duper hot water, my dog smells like a frucking sink of dishwater, I sevin dusted the whole yard after mowing, weeding, and pooper scooping , AND THE DAMN FLEAS INVADED STELLAS PLAYROOM OF ALL FLUCKING PLACES THEY SHOULD NOT BE!!!

dammit.

image photo wereallmad_zps579d81c0.jpg
  Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers

Re: the fleas

• Take a deep breath. Have a glass of vine. I know it is frustrating, but you will get rid of them.

Did you reapply the flea stuff on the dog? And change brands? You can apply it every two weeks instead of monthly. It'll zap fleas more quickly. I switched from Frontline to advantax
    I found that rotating brands really helped kill them.

Where are they in her room? Salt the sh!t out of her room. Make sure to focus on the edges. Take any stuffed animals out and wash them. You can vacuum the salt up a few hours after applying. The fleas and their eggs can't live with salt, it'll suck the moisture right out of them and kill them right there.

Good luck, you can do this. I know it sucks, but you can and will get rid of them.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We stayed at a cabin in Maine a few years back and our dogs brought home fleas. It really was he!l, I feel ya.

If you have carpet in the playroom, they make a carpet powder that you put down before vacuuming that we found works really well. Also, I found I was so uptight about it that I needed to do something hands on. I spent hours on the bathroom floor with my dogs and a flea comb. Not fun, but it helped me feel better and I think it helped take care of the situation quicker.

Deep breaths and good luck!
    imageimage
  • S-TunaS-Tuna
    Fourth Anniversary

image kikalynne:
    We stayed at a cabin in Maine a few years back and our dogs brought home fleas. It really was he!l, I feel ya. If you have carpet in the playroom, they make a carpet powder that you put down before vacuuming that we found works really well. Also, I found I was so uptight about it that I needed to do something hands on. I spent hours on the bathroom floor with my dogs and a flea comb. Not fun, but it helped me feel better and I think it helped take care of the situation quicker. Deep breaths and good luck!

We had a flea problem once, and I spent a lot of time combing the animals (2 cats and a dog) with a flea comb. I would put the fleas in a ziplock bag before disposing of them. 

• image S-Tuna:

image kikalynne:
    We stayed at a cabin in Maine a few years back and our dogs brought home fleas. It really was he!l, I feel ya.

If you have carpet in the playroom, they make a carpet powder that you put down before vacuuming that we found works really well. Also, I found I was so uptight about it that I needed to do something hands on. I spent hours on the bathroom floor with my dogs and a flea comb. Not fun, but it helped me feel better and I think it helped take care of the situation quicker.

Deep breaths and good luck!

We had a flea problem once, and I spent a lot of time combing the animals (2 cats and a dog) with a flea comb. I would put the fleas in a ziplock bag before disposing of them. 

I found it easiest to sit on the bathroom floor and just dip the comb in the toilet whenever I got one, which served the dual purpose of taking care of the little buggers and cleaning the brush. Drowning fleas is an activity I would prefer not to ever repeat.
    imageimage
  • She takes an oral medication flea preventative, and the vet gave us a spray for daily use. We've been on it. I salted and I'm letting it sit overnight. We have wood floors, but a few rugs, and I treated them all with the salt. Thankfully it is just the toy room, not her bedroom.

I'm seriously contemplating throwing out every bit of fabric furniture in the house except her crib and my sheets.

I am so, so tired of doing this daily.

• image StellaMakes3:
    She takes an oral medication flea preventative, and the vet gave us a spray for daily use. We've been on it. I salted and I'm letting it sit overnight. We have wood floors, but a few rugs, and I treated them all with the salt. Thankfully it is just the toy room, not her bedroom.

I'm seriously contemplating throwing out every bit of fabric furniture in the house except her crib and my sheets.

I am so, so tired of doing this daily.

You'll get through this. I'm sorry it's sucked so bad. I don't know anything about the oral flea medicine. Unless your furniture is complete crap, I would keep it.

I remember feeling that way last summer. It's SO hard. Just hang in there, keep doing what you're doing. You probably are close to the end of dealing with them.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • It is kind of crappy furniture, that we would be okay without... Which is why I am considering it. It seems really drastic, and I would be more than a little upset if the fleas came back then.. so it is probably irrational.

The spray really helps. The oral med has done fine until now I can only assume that the reason the fleas are so bad is because of previous tenants having approx 50 pets seriously. They were animal hoarders, so.. maybe the fleas just magically came to life in summer? I don't know how they work, but I am determined to kill them all.

Thanks, it is terrible and annoying but it is definitely not the end of the world.

• image StellaMakes3:
    It is kind of crappy furniture, that we would be okay without... Which is why I am considering it. It seems really drastic, and I would be more than a little upset if the fleas came back then.. so it is probably irrational.

The spray really helps. The oral med has done fine until now I can only assume that the reason the fleas are so bad is because of previous tenants having approx 50 pets seriously. They were animal hoarders, so.. maybe the fleas just magically came to life in summer? I don't know how they work, but I am determined to kill them all.

Thanks, it is terrible and annoying but it is definitely not the end of the world.

Yeah, don't throw out the furniture. It would be better to move than do that. 50 pets? That's sad and disgusting.

Did you take your dog to the vet? Another yucky thing that could be happening are worms. If your dog has swollowed a flea anytime in the last 12 to 24 months, she could have worms. They're easy to kill, it's 3 days of tiny pills. But, she could be spreading the fleas. If you look at her poo you can see little white dots in it, those are worms. One of our dogs had them 18 months after we got rid of the fleas. Thank goodness it's an easy fix.

You're doing everything right to get rid of the little effers.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ugh. That sounds like all kinds of not fun. Sorry you have to deal with it.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic