July 2012 Moms

Diaper raffle - WWJ12D? (update in OP)

I'm going to a baby shower today and I was "invited" to bring size 4 diapers for a raffle. Normally I hate that kind of thing and just bring my regular present (I spend enough money on diapers, thank you). But at this girl's bridal shower, they did a "bring a piece of cookware for a raffle" and I was the only person who didn't. The hostess made a big deal out of "Oh, sorry, you can't play this game."

Should I buck up and bring the diapers?

Update: I brought the dumb diapers. And I didn't win the raffle. Boo. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Diaper raffle - WWJ12D? (update in OP)

• This is ridiculous. If you want to participate but a small thing if generic diapers. No box of pampers. I also hate these raffles. Sooo I have to buy you a gift [which I usually spend 50100 on] then I have to buy a box of diapers? Hard pass.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Personal choice...I am the type of person that spends a certain amount on baby showers. If I wanted to participate in the raffle, then that would be a part of my budget. If you don't care about the raffle, then skip it and don't play their game.

July 2012 Mom to "Zeke," who has been smiling non-stop
    since arriving 10 days late on August 7, 2012.

April 2014 Mom to "Eli" who arrived via scheduled C-section
    on March 31, 2014.
  • image wheelerc:
    This is ridiculous. If you want to participate but a small thing if generic diapers. No box of pampers. I also hate these raffles. Sooo I have to buy you a gift [which I usually spend 50100 on] then I have to buy a box of diapers? Hard pass.

IKR? I just have to see what's stronger, peer pressure or my principles, lol. What kills me is that "size 4" was written into the invitation, so they staggered out the sizes. That's too much thought for a diaper raffle.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Eh I don't think it's a big deal. I usually bring the stuff, even though I think it's rude. I also take that into consideration when buying the gift though. 

• Well, since you've already been pegged as "the woman who can't participate in the raffle", I'd just roll with it and not participate. I think its very rude to demand a "gift" above and beyond what you're already giving. Perhaps its equally rude not to participate, I don't know, but I know that if I did choose to partake, I'd take it out of my budget for the gift as well.
    Here a big box of Pampers is 49.95 [if you don't buy it on sale].....I would not call that pocket change.

ETA: from what I know of you/your online personality, you come across as a very generous person and give where you can, when you can, so I don't take this post as a "stingy" thing, just so you know...which also probably influenced my answer of saying to stick with your principles.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • image apollonia10:

image wheelerc:
    This is ridiculous. If you want to participate but a small thing if generic diapers. No box of pampers. I also hate these raffles. Sooo I have to buy you a gift [which I usually spend 50100 on] then I have to buy a box of diapers? Hard pass.

IKR? I just have to see what's stronger, peer pressure or my principles, lol. What kills me is that "size 4" was written into the invitation, so they staggered out the sizes. That's too much thought for a diaper raffle.

This is ridiculous. It's doubly annoying that she did it for her bridal shower.

• No. Don't do it. Then maybe the host will get the hint of how tacky it is. If she makes a big deal out of it you can always say you thought it was optional and decided to spend the extra money on the actual gift. Or just say nothing and know that you aren't a tacky person.
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image jerseygirl6411:
    Eh I don't think it's a big deal. I usually bring the stuff, even though I think it's rude. I also take that into consideration when buying the gift though.nbsp;

Same. If I "have" to spend money on a book or diapers, then I spend less on the actual gift. In your situation, I'd probably get a box of diapers and call that my entire gift. Ain't nobody got cash for that.
    This miracle God gave to me,
    Gives me strength when I am weak.
    I find reason to believe, in my daughter's eyes.
  • Am I the only one who doesn't think this is a big deal either way? By a small pack of target brand diapers and call it a day. I always budget this kind of thing into the baby shower total. Furthermore I usually give diapers as part of my gift. 
    Married 5.14.2011 Surprise BFP 11.2.2011 Emily Carolina 7.13.12 BFP#2 6.1.2013 Confirmed MC 7.3.2013. D and E 7.18.2013 BFP #3 1.15.14 EDD 9.25.14
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    DD: Hip click noted at birth. Ultrasound at 6w Dx severe hip dysplasia. Placed in Pavlik Harness at 7w. Ultrasound at 9.5w showed no improvement, surgery scheduled for spring 2013. 3-13-13 Open reduction of left hip with spica cast placement. 4-2-13 Open reduction of right hip with spica cast change. 5-14-13 Spica cast change. 6-17-13 Cast removed and placed in a hip brace. 7-11-13 Cleared to wear hip brace only at night. 7-26-2013 Brace free!!! 9-14-13 We have a CRAWLER!!! 10-14-13 Standing!!! 12-15-13 FIRST STEPS!!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Under normal circumstances, this would not bother me. In light of past experience and the wording, I would either not attend or buy store brand.
    "Parenting is a constant struggle between making your kid's live better and ruining your own." Willie Robertson, 'Duck Dynasty'
    Anniversary IMAG1763 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image Ladyofshallott86:
    Am I the only one who doesn't think this is a big deal either way? By a small pack of target brand diapers and call it a day. I always budget this kind of thing into the baby shower total. Furthermore I usually give diapers as part of my gift.nbsp;

This. I wouldn't judge a mom to be for this at all, and if she's someone I'm close to I would gladly buy her diapers knowing it would really help her out. Whichever you choose, hopefully she will just be grateful that you attended ::insert mobile smiley face::

TTC #2 May 2013

BFP #1 - June 4th - Natural M/C June 17. 6 weeks.
    BFP #2 - July 20 - Natural M/C July 29. 5 weeks.
    BFP #3 - September 18. Natural M/C September 30. 6 weeks.
    Break for testing.  No explanation for losses. Cleared to TTC again!
    BFP#4 - November 25. u/s 12/19 - SCH,  hb. u/s - 12/30 - No hb @ 8 weeks 2 days.  D&C 1/2.
    RE consult and testing - unexplained losses.

BFP#5 - March 8. EDD 11/19/2014. ~* Hoping and praying to meet this little one*~
    Beta 10DPO: 28 - 12 DPO: 93 - 14DPO: 331 - 17 DPO: 1438  -24dpo - 15,500!!!!
    Heartbeat 8weeks 3 days -183

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'd buy the diapers. I always feel bad because its not the MTB's fault, it's the hostess.

• image LaBe44a:
    Personal choice...I am the type of person that spends a certain amount on baby showers. If I wanted to participate in the raffle, then that would be a part of my budget. If you don't care about the raffle, then skip it and don't play their game.

Same here. I'd play, but then have less to spend on a gift. Oh well.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • target.com says you can get a pack of 31 size 4 up and up diapers for $6.49. So I would do that if I felt compelled to participate. 

• Just buy some generic diapers and play the game. It'll be fun!

• Moneys tight right now so I definitely get where your coming from! If money was no object tho I would play along and bring the diapers and be happy.

I guess you kind of just have to suck it up and buy a small pack.

At my wedding shower, and most in my family, they did a wishing well. Is that considered tacky too? People were asked to bring small kitchen type gadget to fill the wishing well. I thought it was cute but now after being on the bump I'm thinking maybe it was tacky too!
  • image jfresh:
    I'd buy the diapers. I always feel bad because its not the MTB's fault, it's the hostess.

This. So often the MTB has no say or no idea what the hostesses have planned. Like pp said, just include it in your overall planned budget. But if you really feel strongly about it, don't let the hostess's previous behavior guilt you into it. Either way, hope the shower turns out to be somewhat tolerable.

• I might bring the teeniest, tiniest bag of diapers I could find.  10 diapers?  OK!
  • I would just bring a small pack. We had a diaper raffle at my baby shower and it was so nice to have all of those diapers for the first few months. I would just include that into my total price of the gift. NBD in my opinion.
    Matthew Calvin. 6.1.12
  • K8saysK8says
    250 Answers 500 Comments Second Anniversary Combo Breaker

Am I the only person in the world who doesn't know what this is? A raffle sounds like someone at the shower could win the diapers?  

:? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image K8says:

Am I the only person in the world who doesn't know what this is? A raffle sounds like someone at the shower could win the diapers?  

:? 

I wish! You bring a pack of diapers and get entered into a raffle, where you could win a gift card or pack of bath soaps or some other shower prize. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I see your edit and give you props. I would not have and just said oh shoot I forget them.....at the store.

• This may be an UO but...what's the big deal with buything the MTB a pack of diapers?  Ideally, this is someone you consider a friend and care about, so why is it so offensive to buy them something that will be completely necessary, useful and helpful?  If it isn't a friend or someone you care about all that much, then why are you going to the shower?  If it IS someone you care about, then why does it offend you to buy them a pack of diapers?  Spend $10 less on the gift you otherwise would have purchased.  I just don't get all the anst over it.