Parenting

Grand Canyon walk

So, there is a guy, I guess very famous for his tightrope walks over crazy locations, who is planning to walk across the Grand Canyon this weekend with no "safety wire."

This profession apparently runs in his family, since his dad and I think grandad also did these things. One of them died from a fall, which was being recorded live. I had the today's show on in the background and didn't catch all the details. But I did catch this weekends walk is the length of 4 football fields and a Grand Canyon fall down on a two inch rope. No safety wire.

I don't think I can watch it live. Seriously, they played a second of the family member's fall and I had to duck my head and teared up. He knew he was falling and tried to hold on. It was horrible.

I don't get this level of risk taking. It just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Re: Grand Canyon walk

• Why do they show sh*t like that?  It's ridiculous.  I was furious a few years ago when the luger died in the Olympics (during practice) and his accident was videotaped and was all over the news.
    Lilypie - (vjFY)image

• image bearsbearsbears:
    Why do they show sht like that?nbsp; It's ridiculous.nbsp; I was furious a few years ago when the luger died in the Olympics during practice and his accident was videotaped and was all over the news.

All of this
  • I live in Niagara Falls, where this man walked last year. They made him wear a safety harness. I don't understand why they aren't doing the same for this walk. It was still amazing and breathtaking to watch him walk across the falls even with the harness, so why not?

• image emriley84:
    I live in Niagara Falls, where this man walked last year. They made him wear a safety harness. I don't understand why they aren't doing the same for this walk. It was still amazing and breathtaking to watch him walk across the falls even with the harness, so why not?

I watched that on Tv and was like wow, crazy.  At least he wore a safety harness but I am with the OP I don't get this level of risk taking, not worth it to me. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I don't get it either. I mean, it is not more of an accomplishment if he does it without safety equipment. It only makes the whole thing dumb. And dangerous.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers