February 2013 Moms

4 Mo Check Up- Ped's Reccs

So E had her 4 month appointment today. I told the doctor we wanted to do a delayed schedule and she was cool with that. However, when I mentioned baby led weening (at 6 months+ of course) she thought I meant getting her completely off breastmilk/formula. When I told her I meant larger pieces of food as opposed to purees, she said that babies can't handle that until 8-9 months (due to not being able to hold it and get it into their mouths correctly?) and she recommends purees first. She also mentioned giving rice cereal at 5 1/2 months, but I really wanted to skip it all together. Any thoughts on this? I guess we just do what we think is best for our baby and take what the doctor says with a grain of salt.

Its frustrating because I haven't found a doctor I really click with yet and we're on our third. I feel like I'm too hippy dippy for the pediatrician, but not enough so for the naturopath. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
Eleanor Louise is going to be a big sister!
 BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: 4 Mo Check Up- Ped's Reccs

• Most pediatricians follow the guidelines set forth by the American Association of Pediatricians, so you probably aren't going to get many pediatricians that are going to go too far off of what they recommend.

I believe the purees are mostly because they aren't adept at chewing their food all that well (and most babies don't have that many, if any, teeth at 6 months) when first introduced to foods and it presents a larger safety/choking risk.

• Doctor's are just like regular people (just with a lot more schooling), their advice is going to be partially due to the research they have read or are up-to-date on and partially due to their own personal beliefs.  This is why some doctors will say that you have to do purees and others (like mine) will say it is perfectly safe to skip them altogether.  My doctor is fine with my decision to avoid solids completely until closer to a year.

I have learned that I can't count on a doctor to be on the same page as me for 100% of my choices.  I trust my doctor for medical advice.  If my kids are sick, I trust that she knows how to make them better.  I do not trust her parenting advice completely.  She has tried to get me to let my kids CIO and turn them FF in a carseat prematurely.  Thankfully, I don't go to her to teach me how to get my kids to sleep or eat food.  I go there to have her heal my children and/or assess their development.

If you want to do BLW, know that there is a right and wrong way to do it.  Your doc obviously isn't up-to-date on all of the research about BLW, so her opinion is going to be biased.  Listen to her advice, do your own research, and most importantly, trust your gut.  If you feel your child is ready, go for it.  If you don't, hold off.

DS1 - 8/07           DD2 - 2/13           DD1 - 3/11          DS2 - 1/09 

• image +adamwife+:

I trust my doctor for medical advice.  If my kids are sick, I trust that she knows how to make them better.  I do not trust her parenting advice completely.  She has tried to get me to let my kids CIO and turn them FF in a carseat prematurely.  Thankfully, I don't go to her to teach me how to get my kids to sleep or eat food.  I go there to have her heal my children and/or assess their development.

This is great advice! I need to think of it this way instead! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
    Eleanor Louise is going to be a big sister!
     BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Like you said, do what you think is best for your baby, and take what the doctor says with a grain of salt.
    Missed m/c discovered 3/15/12 at 8w2d: "Henry."

imageView Full Size Image
    Jack 04/29/10 dairy peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder, Autism
    Rhys 01/25/13 Peanut and tree nut allergy, MSPI
    Lilypie - (cF7R) Lilypie - (Phka)

"We are in Buckingham Palace, the very heart of the British nation.  Sherlock Holmes, put your trousers ON!"

• I totally agree with your ped and that's my plan for intoducing solids. I want to do both Baby led and purees, but begin with cereal at 5 mos, mainly to give practice with the spoon and eating in a different way than with swallowing milk.

I think some foods are better in whole form and want to give my LO that fine motor support. I also want to provide opportunities to develop the ability to eat from utensils and eventually use them and thus give purees.

My ped said that really, my LO can eat eh-nee-thing that we're eating. As long as they get a boost of iron, whatever we want to eat, he can eat too, in whatever form.

That really helped me know that as long as I'm feeding my baby and meeting his nutritional needs (and getting iron in there), I'm doing a great job as his mommy.

I think you'll know what works for your lifestyle and his preferences.