Baby Names

Caroline

I think this name is so pretty. But I would hate if people called her Cari or Carol...

do any of you have kids that are called by their full names exclusively, dispite it having a common NN?

also I still need a first name with middle name Collin if you have any ideas.

(DSS is Haydon)  

Re: Caroline

• It's really pretty, and it's one of those names that I would not automatically shorten-- I don't think it has a natural NN.

I think Collin pairs well with a lot of names.

James Collin

Matthew Collin

Samuel Collin

Vincent Collin

Gregory Collin

TImothy Collin

Married 11/23/07 BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

• I like Caroline and honestly when I think of nn's for it I don't think Cari or Carol...

My friend Caroline went by Lina, and I have always thought the nn Caro is cute.

Theres lots of people who go by only their full name. I think the only thing about that to keep in mind is you have no control over it once they are 11 or 12 and THEY themselves or their friends think Cari or whatever nn is cooler then their full name.

• Love Caroline! (MN for future DD) and I dont think it has any nicknames that would come naturally to others.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

• I grew up with several friends named Caroline and they never had nn's.  I also know some kids now with this name and again no nn's.  I don't think it naturally has a nn and I wouldn't even think Cari or even Carol.

Andrew Collin

Noah Collin

Davis Collin

Henry Collin

Bryce Collin

Lucas Collin

Reid Collin

BFP 1/8/10, MC 1/15/10 | BFP 3/20/10, MC 6/24/10 | BFP 12/13/10...EDD 8/22/11...DD born 6/7/11 @ 29 weeks 1 day Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a friend named Caroline who has always gone by Caroline. She's never really had an issue that I know of.

Our son, Gabriel, only goes by his full name until he decides he likes "Gabe" or whatever. I don't care for the NN and usually there's no problem when we tell people his name is Gabriel. 99 times out of a hundred they either call him by his full name or ask if he goes by a NN.

PM me for blog
  • I know several Carolines and no one has ever attempted to call them anything but Caroline.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I love that name my cousin named her daughter that and I had a little girl in my class with that name and she was the sweetest thing! I don't think people will automatically shorten it unless you did.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Caroline is beautiful and I don't think people would automatically nn it. If you introduce her as Caroline then that's what people will call her.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm naming my LO, who is due in August, Caroline. Love it. No one so far has mentioned Cari or Carole. If anyone ever did, I would quickly correct them.

DD1 is Natalie. No one ever calls her Nat or anything. She has referred to herself as Nat though lol. But that's it.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • My name is Caroline and I love it! I've never gone by a nickname and its never been an issue. I rarely meet other Caroline's. The biggest issue for me is lots of people calling me Carolyn, which is weird but happens constantly. I've learned just to let it go! 
  • Thank you ladies. Maybe it's just personal experience, I know a girl named Caroline and people call her Cari. She hates it, but she said one day it just stuck and now she can't get rid of it. Lol 
  • We have a 2 1/2 year old named Jericho...we were a tad worried about him getting called "Jerry" so far that hasn't happened, but we are ready to do battle if anyone should start that.

I think Caroline is one of those that is a real stretch to use a nn...unless it was Caroline herself who wanted to be called by a nn.

photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • image Mama2be12345:
    My name is Caroline and I love it! I've never gone by a nickname and its never been an issue. I rarely meet other Caroline's. The biggest issue for me is lots of people calling me Carolyn, which is weird but happens constantly. I've learned just to let it go!nbsp;

I get that when I tell people LO2 will be Caroline! People want to say its the same as Carolyn. No, its not. Lol.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I don't think people automatically shorten a name. If you call them by a full name, I think others will as well.

imageimageimage

Trying to get knocked up since June 2012 ~ Dx: PCOS

BFP 7.24.13 ~ EDD 4.2.14 ~ m/c  9.16.13 @ 11w4d

TTGP 2013 Best Blog ~ Keep On, Charting On

• image Mama2be12345:
    My name is Caroline and I love it! I've never gone by a nickname and its never been an issue. I rarely meet other Caroline's. The biggest issue for me is lots of people calling me Carolyn, which is weird but happens constantly. I've learned just to let it go!nbsp;

I am also a Caroline who is always called Carolyn! People think they are the same name. OP, just call your daughter what you want and people should follow your lead. My parents wanted me to have a nn so I have always gone by Carrie.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • Both if my kids go strictly by their full names and I will insist their teachers use full names as well.  I am not a nn person, I detest them.

• My Mom hates all nicknames from my name (Kry.sty.na) so she refused to let anyone call me one. My Dad, siblings, friends, and BF all call me Krys but not in front of her. If they do, she will say "That's not her name." 

So yes, like PPs said, you can't force other people to not do it, but you can try. :) it may not be a big deal unless you want to be a hundred percent certain it doesn't happen.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My daughter's name is Elizabeth and she does NOT have a nickname. She is only 2.5 years old, but so far it has not been an issue.
  • My LO is Caroline and I wouldn't say she has a nn. When typing, I sometimes refer to her as C. And my husband and I will tease her as whiney liney when she's being a diva haha. I'm not a nn fan, especially for Caroline.
    imageimage

• I know two Carolines who both go exclusively by their full names, and I've never heard them shortened. I don't know that it's a name that lends itself naturally to a nickname.
    Celebrating 2 beautiful girlies under 2!!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • mmb248mmb248
    2500 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary

Caroline is in my top 5!  I know several Carolines and none of them have had a problem with nicknames.  Only one has a nn, Caro, because her grandmother always said that she was sweet as Karo syrup.  She loves the nn because of the origin, and introduces herself as Caro.  I think nn only stick when people answer to them.

My name lends itself to lots of nicknames, but I don't answer to them so they don't stick.

I like Miles Collin.

imageimage
    Me: 33     DH: 38
    TTC since August 2011
    DX:  PCOS and subseptate uterus
    August 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI TI = BFN
    September 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    October 2013:  Clomid + Trigger + IUI canceled
    November 2013:  NTNP
    April 2013:  Femara + Trigger + IUI = ???