Parenting

Convertible vs Booster car seats

Which are safer for a kid that fits into either of them? over 30 lb and over 3 ft tall.

I need to get my DD a car seat and am not sure if I should give her DS' convertible and get him a booster or buy her a new convertible.

I don't mind spending the $$ whichever way we go, I just want him in the safest possible seat.

ETA: I'm talking about the typical convertible vs the "Combination Harness to Booster" type.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Convertible vs Booster car seats

• If it's a 5 point harness convertible (like a Nautilus) then it's fine. However, if your talking about a belt positioning booster than your child is not old enough nor big enough.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersPitaPata Dog tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • image Nana_Osaki06:
    If it's a 5 point harness convertible (like a Nautilus) then it's fine. However, if your talking about a belt positioning booster than your child is not old enough nor big enough.
    I'm talking about the "combination harness to booster" ones.

• image SpringMomv2:
    image Nana_Osaki06:
    If it's a 5 point harness convertible (like a Nautilus) then it's fine. However, if your talking about a belt positioning booster than your child is not old enough nor big enough.

Then thats fine. He should be in the 5 point harness for a few more years. Since it's 4 years, 40lbs, AND maturity before going into a seat belt one. I know very few 4 year olds that are truly mature enough. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersPitaPata Dog tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • SpookoSpooko
    10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Combo Breaker
    FF in a convertible and in the combo booster is the same.

• image Nana_Osaki06:

image SpringMomv2:
    image Nana_Osaki06:

Then thats fine. He should be in the 5 point harness for a few more years. Since it's 4 years, 40lbs, AND maturity before going into a seat belt one. I know very few 4 year olds that are truly mature enough. 

yeah, i am not looking to put him into the typical booster.

• image Spooko:
    ok thanks. bc i know you can technically put a tiny 5 lb baby into a convertible car seat RF but the infant bucket seat is safer. so it worries me that even though they seem the same one is safer or something.

• image SpringMomv2:
    image Spooko:
    ok thanks. bc i know you can technically put a tiny 5 lb baby into a convertible car seat RF but the infant bucket seat is safer. so it worries me that even though they seem the same one is safer or something.

Technically this is untrue. The baby bucket is not any safer than a convertible to is rated for 5lbs. The baby bucket is just more convenient. Also, not all convertibles are rated for 5lbs. The one my son uses is rated for 15lbs-50lbs. However, it is true that FF in a harnessed booster is the same as FF in a convertible.

• http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0011URFRE/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

The link leads to the car seat we currently have for DD in my car. It's a nice seat, fits easily into our car and will become both a backed and backless belt position booster as she grows. It'll work for her till she's 100 lbs and doesn't have a height limit when used as a backlash belt positioning booster. We're planning on getting another one of these for DH's truck as she's quickly getting too heavy for the seat that's currently in his truck.
  • If you aren't rf your 3 year old, then you don't need a convertible. Combo seats have higher height limits.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Logan 4.97~ Teagan 2.02 ~ Eirian 3.06 ~ Keira 2.08 ~ Seren 10.10
  • Put DD in the convertible and get a harness hbb for DS. I just got my DD the Britax frontier and we love it. I didn't want to waste on another convertible when my DS transitioned from his infant seat, so we're set for awhile.
    ?Pour yourself a drink, put on some lipstick, and pull yourself together.? Little Chick 5/10 Little Dude 10/12