Working Moms

BFing support?

I'm curious what kind of support is available to working BFing moms in your area? Do you wish there was more ?

There's virtually nothing for working moms in mine. only one LLL group in our tri county area has an evening meeting, I went once when DD was a bsby and I was the only working mom. The others just chose evening so DH could watch the older kids. I got a lot of fake pity, which I can't stand, about how sorry they were I had to work. Needless to say I haven't gone back.

I've searched but not found anything else. A friend started a support group at her DC and got really good response. But I know I'm the only BFing mom at ours currently.

Re: BFing support?

• There was quite a bit around us--I live near Boulder, Colorado. Our hospital ran a free breastfeeding support group, but it was during the day. I went during maternity leave, but wouldn't otherwise have been able to go, although it was at lunchtime. The hospital I delivered at offered free lactation consultants that you could make appointments with. I used that several times with DS. When he was little, I was the only one bf'ing at daycare, but when DD was in the infant room, there was a number of us.

Do you feel like you'd want something else? I used it mainly for support when DS was very little, and for problemsolving, but I never really wanted a group to meet up with after that.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • There's one at our hospital, but I never went. And I've never looked into LLL/any others because, well, I don't really have the time or interest. FWIW, I've heard a lot of LLL groups tend to be a bit judgmental of WMs.  Which really sucks, because WMs need the support too! And not just the "oh, poor dear has to work and leave her babies!!!" Because that's not support. 

But I had lots of support from family/friends and a wonderful boss. 

I would guess there's at least a few LLL groups, just because I live in a large metro-area. But I've not felt the need to seek out BFing groups specifically.

imageimageimage"Lilypie">image"Lilypie">
  • image azuremama:
    /pDo you feel like you'd want something else? I used it mainly for support when DS was very little, and for problemsolving, but I never really wanted a group to meet up with after that.

Sometimes I think it would be helpful even as LO gets bigger. Like when DC tries to push for more milk. Or when I just want to vent about how much I hate pumping
  • I used the bump for that. :) I used to post on the bf'ing board a lot, although I haven't been over there in a long time.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I don't know of many groups around here either. There is one at the hospital that I delivered at, but it is during the work day, so I can't go. I meant to try going when I was on maternity leave, but just never got around to it. My main support is my son's pedi. She is a lactation consultant, and basically the breast feeding guru of the hospital I delivered at (a VERY pro BF hospital). If I have any questions or concerns I give her a call. She is great about taking my calls and never makes me feel like I am "bothering" her. I obviously don't go to her to vent about not liking pumping, so I guess that is the part I use the bump for Smile. But anything I am unsure about I just ask her. I honestly think I never would have made it this far without her. We are about to hit 8 months, and making it to a year seems easy-peasy at this point. Now that the hard stuff is behind us.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• image azuremama:

There was quite a bit around us--I live near Boulder, Colorado. Our hospital ran a free breastfeeding support group, but it was during the day. I went during maternity leave, but wouldn't otherwise have been able to go, although it was at lunchtime. The hospital I delivered at offered free lactation consultants that you could make appointments with. I used that several times with DS. When he was little, I was the only one bf'ing at daycare, but when DD was in the infant room, there was a number of us.

Do you feel like you'd want something else? I used it mainly for support when DS was very little, and for problemsolving, but I never really wanted a group to meet up with after that.

I'm in the same area-ish (between Boulder & Denver) and I can say it's pretty BF friendly.  There's also a store that is mainly about BFing called Bosom Buddies in Westminster.  I went there for most of my supplies and I think they have workshops too but I've never been to those.  And there is a studio in Cherry Creek called Belly Bliss where they have a lot of support options plus massage, yoga, ect.  

image   image

• I went to the group at my pedi, but that was during the day. It worked for me though, because I really just needed it for problem solving in the beginning. My hospital also had one, but I never went.

There is a local breast feeding resource center that has night time groups a few times a month, but with both kids I never really found it necessary by the time I was back to work.

I never checked out LLL, mainly because I had too many friends with too many bad experiences. Even SAHMs who weren't antileaving their baby for a date night or overnight got the side eye.

I just found the group at my pedi fit my needs women commited to BFing who weren't opposed to occasionally being away from their kid, for whatever reason.
    Baby Numbers 11.8.10 The Sequel on or around 10.13.12
  • image Booger+Bear:

There's one at our hospital, but I never went. And I've never looked into LLL/any others because, well, I don't really have the time or interest. FWIW, I've heard a lot of LLL groups tend to be a bit judgmental of WMs.  Which really sucks, because WMs need the support too! And not just the "oh, poor dear has to work and leave her babies!!!" Because that's not support. 

I would guess there's at least a few LLL groups, just because I live in a large metro-area. But I've not felt the need to seek out BFing groups specifically.

This, I had a great LC, but when I went to a group mtg and told her he is latching less since I went to work, she basically said well try a hospital grade pump but there really is nothing you can do if you have to work, other than stop working.  I also heavily rely on TB and there is a poster on the Breastfeeding board name AmyG who is awesome.  Might try to PM her or post on BF board.  GL, its hard and I never recovered my supply, but lots of other women do.

• The hospital I delivered at has a new moms support group on Wednesday mornings. The lactation consultant at the hospital runs the group and the topics discussed are geared towards breast feeding for the most part, but they also discuss other newborn topics. It is for all new moms, but it is definitely geared towards Bf moms.

I went once after I had DS1. It was okay.

ETA I really relied on the bump a lot. There were [and still are] some great WM's on this board when i was nursing DS1 who were all experts at BF that would help a lot. I am talking about you Dallashorn if you are still around! ;]
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Our hospital has a group, and a free LC line that you can call anytime they are open.  I never went to the group, but I did call the LC line at the hospital a couple of times in the early days/weeks of BF.  Honestly, the best resource I had was thebump and the kellymom website.
  • There was another mom at work who had pumped for all three of her babies and her youngest was about 6 months older than my oldest.  She gave me a lot of advice and comiserated with me. 

I also used the bump and a spin off board that I'm on.

Miss Tuna: Born 03/23/2009

The Goose: Born 11/30/2011

*********m/c: 5/9/08********
  • They offer one thru the hospital I delivered at, I always wanted to go but they only offer it on Tuesdays starting at 4 pm - I don't get off until 5 and didn't want to ask to leave early because of it. I can tell some of the ladies, well one in particular are already annoyed with my ONE pumping session while at work - she doesn't have kids, so it's not surprising.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• There are a few BF boutiques here staffed by LCs.  I went there when I needed support.  My ped used to staff an LC for unlimited calls, etc as well, but no longer does (luckily, this was my third, so I feel like I need it less).  I also had the ability to call the hospital and talk to an LC. I felt weird doing that more than a few weeks PP though.  It was find of like I would say "I am 6 weeks PP" and there would be this sort of surprised "6 weeks?"  Like we should only call early on - despite them encouraging you to call at any time you are BF.
  • Out Doula was an awesome BFing resource and support. She is working towards her LC certification and she BF both her two kids. I would often text her questions/issues I was tackling. And she was sooo supportive and encouraging. She wasn't even a full time working Mom when her kids were breastfeeding, but she understood my struggle and absolutely hatred of pumping....She would often just randomly text me encouraging messages like "You are amazing, and you are doing the best thing for baby M" or  

I have a couple friends/co-workers with older children that I went to with BFing/pumping issues. They all offered great suggestions/advice and support the first few months back to work.

I used the Bump BFing board too. Mostly lurking, but it offered good support to know I wasn't the only working mom out there struggling with pumping and supply issues, and care providers overfeeding and just the stress that can come from BFing and always being the one responsible for feeding your child.

• There's a local LLL but I never went.  Mainly met with the LLL leader after DD was born and she gave me the worst advice in the world.  It's a really long story but DD wasn't gaining weight and she was so against using any kind of formula as a supplement.  She kept telling me I had to nurse then pump and then only give DD the milk that I pumped to supplement. Problem was, I wasn't pumping crap so I had to give DD formula in order for her to gain weight and not go hungry.  When I kept going back to her for help and support, she basically acted like I wasn't trying hard enough.

Anyway, I totally went against her advice and everything was fine.  My supply came back up and I am still nursing DD 15 months later although I have always had to use some formula because I just couldn't produce that much while pumping at work.  I don't know.  After that bad experience with her I never really felt comfortable going to a LLL.

My biggest support have been the other women that I work with.  I'm a teacher at an elementary school so I work with A LOT of women and we are all around the same age.  Last year there were 4 women who had babies and this year there were 3.  They all breastfeed and pump and it is awesome just to have someone to vent to about how much we hate pumping, how much we miss our LO's, etc, 

• Check your local hospitals, that is where I would go to mine when I was breastfeeding.

• image Booger+Bear:

There's one at our hospital, but I never went. And I've never looked into LLL/any others because, well, I don't really have the time or interest. FWIW, I've heard a lot of LLL groups tend to be a bit judgmental of WMs.  Which really sucks, because WMs need the support too! And not just the "oh, poor dear has to work and leave her babies!!!" Because that's not support. 

I don't have anything to add, just wanted to point out that this isn't the case with every LLL meeting.  The one I have attended is probably 1/2 WMs and even the SAHMs are very supportive of WMs, while still recognizing that our struggles are somewhat different.  I just wanted to state this so that other WM bumpies don't automatically discount LLL without checking them out first.  I've found it to be a great group!

BFP#1:  3 year old DS, born 3/5/11

BFP#2:  EDD 2/11/14, MMC confirmed 7/15/13 (growth stopped at 6 weeks), D&C @ 12 weeks 7/25/13

BFP#3: EDD 6/11/14 - We're having a girl!

image  image