Breastfeeding
Options

BM vs Formula

I have been BF and occasionally pumping since LO was born until her recent 4 mos appt. She hasn't had the weight gain the doctor would like to see and is thinking it is supply related. I have her now taking formula and she is almost refusing to BF. I can understand this if it is much less work for her to drink from a bottle. But now she is trying to refuse BM from a bottle. I am pumping like a mad woman to increase my supply and it is getting better. Call me crazy, but I thought BM in comparison to formula was a much better flavor. Why would she be refusing? Should I continue to EP and give her that?
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: BM vs Formula

• Options

There could be any number of things going on. First, you should always use the slowest flow nipple with a BF baby. Especially that young. Assuming you are doing that, it could be she's gotten used to formula. Supplementing is often recommended by doctors, but often is the worst advice, because it further messes with supply (the better advice would be to nurse more frequently). If she's refusing BM from a bottle, I don't know that EPing makes a ton of sense. Personally, I'd way UP the frequency of BF as much as possible, try to cut back and get rid of formula. Without know exactly what her weight gain has been, it's hard to say whether the Dr overreacted or not--but I do know a lot of ladies who BF had to stand firm with their DRs, who are apt to recommend formula if baby is even just small. DD was at 5-10% for almost a year, but that's STILL on the normal chart, and she was just small. She still stays about 25%. Fortunately at DD's lowest weight gain, the NP was fine to let me try to nurse more frequently before making an issue about formula. we were able to get her weight back up (she'd almost fallen off the chart at that point).

I'd check out KellyMom for more BF advice. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    Possible lipase issue? I know very little about it but it might be keeping baby from drinking BM bottles
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Have you tried a nipple shield? Mine had issues with weight gain as well. I was induced and then had a UTI so I just couldn't nurse so we had to use formula. She had issues getting back on, but I introduced a nipple shield for a couple of days and now I don't have issues at all.

I will say that she doesn't see a difference with BM in a bottle. She gobbles it up quicker than formula.

PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options
    Her weight gain was at 2% and she didn't have any problems latching at all. She was a champ from go. I had supply issues since she was 1 month. I was trying to add extra pumping sessions, oatmeal, fenugreek and all sorts of other attempts to increase my supply. I was having to supplement with my freezer stash to help her to gain weight. I am currently using the slowest nipple flow possible as well.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagestarting all over again:
    I have been BF and occasionally pumping since LO was born until her recent 4 mos appt. She hasn't had the weight gain the doctor would like to see and is thinking it is supply related. I have her now taking formula and she is almost refusing to BF. I can understand this if it is much less work for her to drink from a bottle. But now she is trying to refuse BM from a bottle. I am pumping like a mad woman to increase my supply and it is getting better. Call me crazy, but I thought BM in comparison to formula was a much better flavor. Why would she be refusing? Should I continue to EP and give her that?

I'll never understand why pediatricians rush to supplement when babies are slow to gain weight. Every baby grows differently. Only about 2% of the population truly don't make enough for their babies/can't breastfeed. PLEASE go see a lactation consultant to TRULY find out if you have a low supply. They'll do a weighted feeding for you.

Supplementing is only going to make your supply worse because pumping doesn't empty the breasts as well as BFing. Want to get her to stop preferring the bottle....stop offering her the bottle. Only BF when you are around her (meaning no bottles when Mommy is around). Babies are smart...she'll catch on to the fact that a bottle isn't an option. Do a "nursing vacation" (Google it for further info)...I've read many many times about that working the best for building supply. Don't give up on BFing....odds are that you ARE actually making enough. Unless she isn't developing properly and isn't having enough wet diapers then don't be worried. Again, just go see a LC and find a Pro BF pedi!! Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"