February 2013 Moms

Sale of Crib Bumpers Banned

It is now illegal to sell crib bumpers in stores in Maryland.

Discuss. 

http://dhmh.maryland.gov/pdf/Crib%20Bumpers%20Q%20and%20A.pdf 

Missed m/c discovered 3/15/12 at 8w2d: "Henry."

imageView Full Size Image
Jack 04/29/10 dairy peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder, Autism
Rhys 01/25/13 Peanut and tree nut allergy, MSPI
Lilypie - (cF7R) Lilypie - (Phka)

"We are in Buckingham Palace, the very heart of the British nation.  Sherlock Holmes, put your trousers ON!"

Re: Sale of Crib Bumpers Banned

• I am so sick of the nanny state that this country has turned into, in general.  Are there ANY stats out there about death or injury by bumper?  And I mean real ones.  Not "MAY be linked to SIDS". 

I personally don't use one, but that's b/c baby isn't really mobile yet.  But I think every parent has the right to weigh risk and benefit, and make a choice. 

I may be a big ol B sometimes… but...
  • So I never understood bumpers. They are there I'm guessing so baby doesn't bump his or her head on the crib bars, or get feet caught between them? But they are a suffocation risk?
    People will decide for themselves ultimately if the need for them outweighs the risk. Plenty if moms go against AAP recommendations.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • "Baby bumper pads pose a risk of suffocation, strangulation, and death"

And so do blankets, stuffed animals, clothing, etc.  Do we ban everything?  

• image jersey1402:
    image Justinlove:
    "Baby bumper pads pose a risk of suffocation, strangulation, and death"And so do blankets, stuffed animals, clothing, etc. nbsp;Do we ban everything? nbsp;
    This, I think we should all have a choice in doing what we think is best for our family. We use a mesh one and ds has also grown an attachment to on of his blankets. We let him have it. But it gets tucked in at the bottom of the crib so he can't pull it over his face. My question is what are they going to ban next? Cars cause to many people die in car accidents each year. Where do we draw the line.

i mean,, next they are going to ban big sodas b/c of all the sugar...oh, wait..... 

• I just read this as I listened to a story on NPR about how tanning in Ohio might be banned for teenagers, even if they have parental permission. It's ridiculous. Parents should get to make whatever bad decision they want, as long as immidiate harm isn't coming to the child. Bumpers and tanning fit into possible harm, but not immidiate, so I say let it be. That said I think tanning is really stupid, but that's another topic.

Also, can I not order a bumper on amazon in Maryland? It's a stupid unenforceable law.
    BFP #1: 12.30.11, MC 1.6.12 at 5w; BFP #2: 5.25.12, DS born 2.1.13; BFP #3: 9.4.14, MMC 10.13.14 at 9w
  • I live in Maryland.  I already thought you couldn't buy them, lol.

as for amazon and such websites, I believe there is usually a disclaimer saying you can't purchase in Maryland, and they may not ship them here, I am not sure.

I personally don't see e benefit to one.  Dd had one for a while.  She still could bump her head and get her limbs caught.  It simply got on my nerves. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c Harrison 2/6/12 @ 14weeks
  • image holly321:

I live in Maryland.  I already thought you couldn't buy them, lol.

as for amazon and such websites, I believe there is usually a disclaimer saying you can't purchase in Maryland, and they may not ship them here, I am not sure.

I personally don't see e benefit to one.  Dd had one for a while.  She still could bump her head and get her limbs caught.  It simply got on my nerves. 

and you get to make that decision!  And if enough people agree, they will stop buying, the companies will stop make me, and we won't need the government to use their time to ban them!  Isn't capitalism fascinating!? 

• Eh. I say who cares? It's not really worth getting worked up over. Yes, it speaks a bit to just how much government is going to get involved in our lives and make certain decisions for us, but I think as long as it doesn't hurt anybody, it doesn't really matter. I feel the same way about the large soda ban; I don't buy large sodas so it doesn't really affect me. I see your point, PeanutR1, that I get the freedom to make that choice for myself, and I agree with that, but I also don't think it will hurt anyone to have to choose between only a small or medium soda, so I don't really care.

• image jkuhmann:
    Eh. I say who cares? It's not really worth getting worked up over. Yes, it speaks a bit to just how much government is going to get involved in our lives and make certain decisions for us, but I think as long as it doesn't hurt anybody, it doesn't really matter. I feel the same way about the large soda ban; I don't buy large sodas so it doesn't really affect me. I see your point, PeanutR1, that I get the freedom to make that choice for myself, and I agree with that, but I also don't think it will hurt anyone to have to choose between only a small or medium soda, so I don't really care.

Then you must be pro-life?  If you don't really care if people can make choices about their own health (or lack of it). (My guess is that you aren't, but I'm trying to make a point)

For me it's a "tip of the iceberg" thing that sets precedent.  If its ok to ban one small thing, then the next is fine, then the next.  Whatever happened to "live and let live"?

• image PeanutR1:

image jersey1402:
    image Justinlove:
    "Baby bumper pads pose a risk of suffocation, strangulation, and death"And so do blankets, stuffed animals, clothing, etc. nbsp;Do we ban everything? nbsp;
    This, I think we should all have a choice in doing what we think is best for our family. We use a mesh one and ds has also grown an attachment to on of his blankets. We let him have it. But it gets tucked in at the bottom of the crib so he can't pull it over his face. My question is what are they going to ban next? Cars cause to many people die in car accidents each year. Where do we draw the line.

i mean,, next they are going to ban big sodas b/c of all the sugar...oh, wait..... 

lol @ NY

Seriously, I'm annoyed. I don't even own a crib, but I'm annoyed. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • image PeanutR1:

image jkuhmann:
    Eh. I say who cares? It's not really worth getting worked up over. Yes, it speaks a bit to just how much government is going to get involved in our lives and make certain decisions for us, but I think as long as it doesn't hurt anybody, it doesn't really matter. I feel the same way about the large soda ban; I don't buy large sodas so it doesn't really affect me. I see your point, PeanutR1, that I get the freedom to make that choice for myself, and I agree with that, but I also don't think it will hurt anyone to have to choose between only a small or medium soda, so I don't really care.

Then you must be pro-life?  If you don't really care if people can make choices about their own health (or lack of it). (My guess is that you aren't, but I'm trying to make a point)

For me it's a "tip of the iceberg" thing that sets precedent.  If its ok to ban one small thing, then the next is fine, then the next.  Whatever happened to "live and let live"?

Actually, I am (with a few exceptions). Smile I'm a lot of other things that would probably piss a lot of people off, but I'm okay with that. And I don't care to debate any of those things and I'm not going to enumerate them here. What we do all get - that no one can take away - is the freedom to have an opinion. I respect your opinion about the bans, and I see your point. I happen to have a different opinion, and I think that's okay too. Seriously, if it were up to me (and if I get flamed for this, that's fine), I'd ban smoking. It really pisses me off when I have to worry about my child inhaling second-hand smoke when we are out and about and trying to enjoy our day. I don't really care about anyone's right to choose at the point that it endangers my baby.

• image jkuhmann:
    image PeanutR1:

image jkuhmann:

Actually, I am (with a few exceptions). Smile I'm a lot of other things that would probably piss a lot of people off, but I'm okay with that. And I don't care to debate any of those things and I'm not going to enumerate them here. What we do all get - that no one can take away - is the freedom to have an opinion. I respect your opinion about the bans, and I see your point. I happen to have a different opinion, and I think that's okay too.

Seriously, if it were up to me (and if I get flamed for this, that's fine), I'd ban smoking. It rThis. I am y pisses me off when I have to worry about my child inhaling second-hand smoke when we are out and about and trying to enjoy our day. I don't really care about anyone's right to choose at the point that it endangers my baby.

I think smoking should be banned too.

Also wanted to add that I too am mostly pro life and love have people aren't allowed to have their own feelings on the subject.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c Harrison 2/6/12 @ 14weeks
  • My issue is what happens when something I want and choose to do is banned. Caffeine is a drug, should we ban that for pregnant or new mothers? Should we ban Advil because the effect on babies isn't known? Or what about Venezuela considering banning formula so more mothers breastfeed? There is no end and it becomes dictatorial and dangerous in a hurry. It's great if it's things we agree with, but what happens when it's not? I do not understand how anyone can assume your best interests are always being protected by anyone other than yourself. Call me cyclical, but I think it's realistic.
    BFP #1: 12.30.11, MC 1.6.12 at 5w; BFP #2: 5.25.12, DS born 2.1.13; BFP #3: 9.4.14, MMC 10.13.14 at 9w
  • That's silly and overreaching, IMO.  People can still buy them online or make them themselves, so what is the point of this. 

But I'm not a fan of big government in general, so there's that...

FWIW, I don't use bumpers with my babies because I worry about their safety, but I do sometimes use them when my kids get a little older (like 6-8 months) when they go through phases where they bang their heads on the crib slats at night with movement.  Then I take the bumpers out again once they start pulling to standing because I'm scared they will use it to help get out of the crib.

I think there are safe uses for bumpers.

• image jkuhmann:
    image PeanutR1:

image jkuhmann:

Actually, I am (with a few exceptions). Smile I'm a lot of other things that would probably piss a lot of people off, but I'm okay with that. And I don't care to debate any of those things and I'm not going to enumerate them here. What we do all get - that no one can take away - is the freedom to have an opinion. I respect your opinion about the bans, and I see your point. I happen to have a different opinion, and I think that's okay too.  Seriously, if it were up to me (and if I get flamed for this, that's fine), I'd ban smoking. It really pisses me off when I have to worry about my child inhaling second-hand smoke when we are out and about and trying to enjoy our day. I don't really care about anyone's right to choose at the point that it endangers my baby.

I actually agree with you entirely on that.  I was always taught that one person's rights go exactly as far as they can without infringing on the rights of others.  If I can't walk into Target with my child without him  having to inhale your secondhand smoke, that means you are infringing on his right and my right to health and safety.  When they invent a smokeless cigarette, maybe I'll change my position.  Smoking is disgusting, dangerous, and an addiction perpetuated by the industry it supports.   

Jack 04/29/10 dairy peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder, Autism

"We are in Buckingham Palace, the very heart of the British nation.  Sherlock Holmes, put your trousers ON!"

• image Sterling13:
    My issue is what happens when something I want and choose to do is banned. Caffeine is a drug, should we ban that for pregnant or new mothers? Should we ban Advil because the effect on babies isn't known? Or what about Venezuela considering banning formula so more mothers breastfeed? There is no end and it becomes dictatorial and dangerous in a hurry. It's great if it's things we agree with, but what happens when it's not? I do not understand how anyone can assume your best interests are always being protected by anyone other than yourself. Call me cyclical, but I think it's realistic.

I don't use crib bumpers, but I DO bedshare.  Some people think that bedsharing, in any way, is unsafe.  What's to stop them from banning that?  So, while I don't think bumpers are safe, it's not up to me to make that decision for other moms.  Just like I am sure that there are women who don't think a person can safely bedshare, but they don't tell me not to do it.  I'll stay out of your nursery if you stay out of mine. 

• image DC2London:

image Sterling13:
    My issue is what happens when something I want and choose to do is banned. Caffeine is a drug, should we ban that for pregnant or new mothers? Should we ban Advil because the effect on babies isn't known? Or what about Venezuela considering banning formula so more mothers breastfeed? There is no end and it becomes dictatorial and dangerous in a hurry. It's great if it's things we agree with, but what happens when it's not? I do not understand how anyone can assume your best interests are always being protected by anyone other than yourself. Call me cyclical, but I think it's realistic.

I don't use crib bumpers, but I DO bedshare.  Some people think that bedsharing, in any way, is unsafe.  What's to stop them from banning that?  So, while I don't think bumpers are safe, it's not up to me to make that decision for other moms.  Just like I am sure that there are women who don't think a person can safely bedshare, but they don't tell me not to do it.  I'll stay out of your nursery if you stay out of mine. 

This is how I feel - the bolded. 100%. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • image DC2London:

image Sterling13:

Mobile thumbs up!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards