Baby Names

Calliope/Callie

I LOVE the nn Callie, but not so sure about Calliope (Kah-lye-ope). 

Is Callie an acceptable nn for Camille?

WDYT of Callie as her first name, not her nn?

Thanks! :) 

ETA: FWIW I have two older boys named Cooper and Chase.  

Re: Calliope/Callie

• My husband and I have decided to name our daughter Callie. No longer name. We haven't decided on a middle name. You'll probably get several comments about needing a longer name since I've seen that recently about the name callie.
    CafeMom Tickers
  • +ASH++ASH+
    1000 Comments 5 Love Its First Anniversary
    I think it sounds nice as a nickname for Camille. I think I've seen Calla mentioned before as a more formal name. Calliope is nice, but I don't know if I'd have the guts to use it :)
    DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • I pronounce it Kah-llee-oh-peh (-pee in English). Wouldn't pronounce it Kah-lye-etc.
  • image BulgariHeart:
    I pronounce it Kah-llee-oh-peh (-pee in English). Wouldn't pronounce it Kah-lye-etc.

This.  I know a little girl named Callie, not short for anything.   I think it is kind of a stretch for Camille, and Camille is so pretty I wouldn't want to shorten it.  I like PPs suggestion of Calla.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have never understood calliope. Honestly i think it's horrible. I think Callie is good on its own but how about Caroline, calista, calla, Camille, Camilla, calina
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image BlinkingLight1:

I LOVE the nn Callie, but not so sure about Calliope (Kah-lye-ope). 

Is Callie an acceptable nn for Camille?

WDYT of Callie as her first name, not her nn?

Thanks! :) 

ETA: FWIW I have two older boys named Cooper and Chase.  

I personally love Calliope. As for the pronunciation, I do believe its said Kuh-Lie-O-Pea. When I hear Camille, I think Cam, Cami, and Millie as NNs, not Callie.

If you love the name Camille along with Callie, I don't see why not. There is the possibility of Callie as a nickname for Camille not sticking through her schooling years and whatnot, so that is something to consider;  I know sometimes us mommies get upset when the nickname their child ends up with wasn't the one we originally "planned on". :P

I find Callie to be a perfectly acceptable first name all on its own.

gl & happy name hunting! 

TTC since 11/10 BFP 12/2/10-MC 12/30/10 BFP 6/12/12-MC 6/29/12 BFP 12/10/12-MC 12/26/12 BFN 1/20/13-Taking a Breather!
  • I would do Calista nn Callie or Camilla/Camille nn Cami. I don't think Callie makes sense for Camilla/Camille.
    image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I say Calliope as Kuh-Lie-O-Pea too.  I've never heard anyone say it with Lee in the middle as opposed to Lie/Lye sound!

Anyway... I don't really love Calliope.  I like Callie, and I think it's fine as a standalone name. I don't think it has to be a shortened version of a longer name. (Though I will say, I see a lot of people on this board say they really don't like Callie. I don't understand why, though!)

• My name is Kallie and I hardly have anyone ask me if it is short for something else. I really don't have a nickname from it either, other than a few close friends cal me Kall. My middle name is Jo.
  • There were a lot of opinions yesterday on the same name, linked just so you have it:

http://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/74807985.aspx

imageimage

PM me for blog
  • I also never really understood the hype of Calliope. Maybe, it's because I never really understood how to say and I was afraid others would mess it up too! haha! 

I think Callie is fine on it's own. I do like Camille, but on it's own. I think Calla is a beautiful name too. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker
  • It's pretty but I think she would end up correcting people ALL the time, as someone who had to do that, it's ANNOYING.

I like Callie, I have a friend who named her daughter Hallie, it's not short for anything.

• I really like Calliope.  It's a name from Greek mythology (one of the nine Muses) and my parents raised my geeky self on that stuff from a young age, so I've never really understood why people can't pronounce it or think it doesn't age well or whatever.  I would not use Callie by itself as a full name or as a nickname for Camille, personally, but I don't think either one is awful.
    image  image

DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015

• I know a girl named Callie.

Calliope makes me think of Cantaloupe or Antelope.  

Began TTC #1 in January 2011
    Confirmation and Removal of Endo - March 2012
    +#1 on 4/1/12 - m/c @ ~8w 5d
    +#2 Tx cycle 4 - 5 mg Letrozole + 75iu Follsitim & Ovidrel w/ IUI on 11/13/12 - EDD 7/23/13 
    7 week u/s revealed THREE babies, all with heartbeats.  153bpm, 148bpm, and 136bpm
    9 week u/s revealed loss of Baby B.  A and C are growing on track.  A measuring 9w1d with 172bpm and C measuring 9w0d with 179 bpm.  
    Elective sex determination u/s on 2/8 revealed... boy AND girl!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • I don't care for Calliope, but Callie is a cute NN.

I would use Calla.  Second choice would be Calista.

I do think Camille is a bit of a stretch (seems like Cami would be the NN for that). 

• Thanks for all the input! I'm starting to think about just using Callie. My name is Tavia, and no one ever says it right (which I have always hated) so I don't want to do that to my daughter. 
  • image megemoney:

I know a girl named Callie.

Right?!?! Calliope Is terrible. Am I missing something? Because it sounds like a version of Penelope. I thought I was pronouncing it wrong. In all honesty, she is going to hate you, her name. Some of you are off your flippin rockers with this one.

• I love Callie, it's my current fave! I would not make it short for anything--I don't like any of the longer options and I like it by itself. It means "beautiful" which I love, and actually, the name by itself was most popular back in the 1880s which I also think is cool. I think it is totally fine to choose a name that is normally a nn and leave it by itself!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I'm a fan of Calliope. (Kuh-LIE-uh-pee. Ends like the ending of Penelope.) And I think Callie is a cute nn.

I like Camille, but prefer Millie as the nn for that. 

I just want to give you a world as beautiful as you are to me.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • image lynelise04:
    image megemoney:

I know a girl named Callie.

Right?!?! Calliope Is terrible. Am I missing something? Because it sounds like a version of Penelope. I thought I was pronouncing it wrong. In all honesty, she is going to hate you, her name. Some of you are off your flippin rockers with this one.

I agree with these two. It's an awful name. I saw it seriously thought it said cantelope. Ugh. Callie is great.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have a friend whose daughter is Callie, short for Calista.

Photobucket image image

• 2Dash2Dash
    250 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Love Its Name Dropper

Calliope makes me think of the book Middlesex (really good book - really would not use that name ever after reading it...)

I like Callie and I love Camille.  I have a friend Camille who goes by Cam not sure if Callie would be a strech.

Have you consider Cayleigh.  I think Callie would be a good nickname for that name.

Lilypie - (a7Cy)

View Full Size Image