June 2013 Moms
Options

C section

Anybody have advice on c section vs induction? My doctor said the baby was measuring big today and I'm a couple days overdue One of the doctors said he thinks I would have a hard time having him. Also my cervix is still closed up tight Would u schedule c section ?

Re: C section

• Options
    Well I have no advice. But my baby is measuring large and my induction is scheduled for tomorrow. My cervix is thick and long and not at all favourable. Fingers crossed. I could understand picking a c section but remember to consider recovery!
  • Options
    There's no way of knowing exactly how big or small the baby truly is, so I wouldn't get induced OR opt for major surgery. Unless you have medical issues, there's no reason you shouldn't at least try to labor. A "big" baby could always be a perfectly normal baby that can come vaginally on its own.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    skioskio member

No, I would not schedule major abdominal surgery based on a doctor's assumption that 1) baby is big, and 2) my body is in adequately built to deliver him. Those are both bold assumptions, and I'd take offense to the latter unless he gave me medical proof that my pelvis was somehow unfit for delivery. Eff that. C-sections suck, and a woman's size has nothing to do with the ability of her pelvic inlet to pass a baby. 

What is he basing the size measurement on? I hope it's at least an ultrasound, but be aware that even those can be off by up to two whole pounds. And FWIW, most doctors let women go to 41 or 42w before talking induction; yours shouldn't be pressuring you yet. I'm trying for a VBAC with a baby who has measured big at several ultrasounds (and a history of big babies), and my doc has not bugged me about scheduling anything yet. He said we'll talk at 41w.  

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had a scheduled c section due to baby's size. He was measuring in the 97th percentile for abdomen which they said indicated large shoulders. I am only 4'11'' so they recommended it for me. My water ended up breaking 2 days before I was scheduled so I just went to the hospital and they did a section after I fasted long enough. My sweet boy ended up being 21.25 inches and 8 pounds 10 ounces. I'm glad I did the section. I am already back to feeling pretty normal and I only had him on the 10th. I really didnt want to labor for hours and hours trying to do something that probably wasn't going to happen. So I had a good experience with the csection! Good luck!
  • Options

I think you and your Dr. should come up with a plan. I personally feel that Dr.'s have your best interest in mind with your health and your LO's health. If they feel you may have a difficult time laboring a big baby I would opt to have a C-section. Even though ultrasound estimates on the weight of your baby can be off, it can also be pretty darn accurate as well. If your baby is bigger there could be complications with delivery, and you may end up in an emergency C-section anyway.

If it were me, I would really discuss this further with your OB and ask all the questions before scheduling, but I would trust my Dr. judgment, even if your LO comes out a "normal" size it's better safe then sorry IMHO to follow the advice of your OB.

GL!!  

• Options
    My baby is not measuring "large" but I am being induced on Sunday due to a non-favorable cervix. He said my chances of having a c-section are going to be higher since my cervix is not cooperating.
  • Options
    BC&LMBC&LM member
    Without medical training, I can't give you advice on your specific situation, but having had a C section two weeks and two days ago, I can tell you that it was a very painful recovery. If I have the chance to do a VBAC in the future, I would definitely choose that over a C section because I do NOT want to experience that pain again! Also, there is more risk of complications with C sections. Overall, if it were me, and there were a chance a vaginal birth would work, I would take that chance and only give in to a C section as a last resort.
  • Options
    Measuring big wouldn't be a good reason for me. Did your doctor mention shoulder dystocia at all to you?
  • Options

I recommend having an ultrasound to view position of the baby.  In a favorable position, you will be surprised what our body is capable of. With that said, I had polyhydramnios, DD was estimated at 11lbs. and her head and shoulder were stuck in my pelvis creating a threatening vaginal delivery scenario.  We opted for the c-section. The estimation of size was dead on as she was born 11.4lbs.  

I am sure there are women who have given birth vaginally to large babies, but my thoughts would be to make sure your LO is in the proper position to come out vaginally with no medical issues.  Also, large is a relative term. Large to me is over 10lbs!

• Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    MW and I were discussing this when she said DD was probably bigger than estimated. Bigger babies aren't always harder to deliver. In her experience, bigger babies tend to work with moms body better than little ones. So don't let size scare you.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    photo its20a20girl_zpsy8rztyxtjpg
  • Options
    jefkjefk member
    imagebrandilc84:

I think you and your Dr. should come up with a plan. I personally feel that Dr.'s have your best interest in mind with your health and your LO's health. If they feel you may have a difficult time laboring a big baby I would opt to have a C-section. Even though ultrasound estimates on the weight of your baby can be off, it can also be pretty darn accurate as well. If your baby is bigger there could be complications with delivery, and you may end up in an emergency C-section anyway.

If it were me, I would really discuss this further with your OB and ask all the questions before scheduling, but I would trust my Dr. judgment, even if your LO comes out a "normal" size it's better safe then sorry IMHO to follow the advice of your OB.

GL!!  

This, all the way.  I had a c/s due to large estimated size (9-11, she came out at 9-2).  My attitude was - whatever's best for the baby.  I trusted that my docs were making medically necessary decisions, and I'm glad I had it done.  I would have rather had a scheduled c/s than an unsuccessful labor and an emergency c/s (a friend did and her recovery was awful).  

• Options
    I would never have a c section unless it was medically necessary . I was induced with my son when I went overdue by over a week and he was estimated to be about 10 lbs 5 oz. My doctor offered me a c section due I possible high birthweight and I said no thanks. I had a quick, easy labor and delivery and my son ended up weighing 8 lbs 9 oz. I did tear but I was up and moving within a hour of delivery and felt fine after a few days. My mkm had 4 c sections and she said they were awful. I also have a few friends who had them who said it is a hard recovery, you can't lift much for awhile and you're sore. A c section is major surgery and shouldn't be taken lightly. I have a friend who got a staph nfection after her c section and ended up losing part of her breast when it spread. A year later she still has problems including c diff as she's been on so many different antibiotics to battle the staph infection. I know her case is probably rare but I would never want to take that gamble.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageTabbiC:
    There's no way of knowing exactly how big or small the baby truly is, so I wouldn't get induced OR opt for major surgery. Unless you have medical issues, there's no reason you shouldn't at least try to labor. A "big" baby could always be a perfectly normal baby that can come vaginally on its own.

ITA - I'd wait it out a bit and go for an induction before scheduling a c-section. 

DS born 10/25/11 **  DD born 6/24/13 **  DS born 4/20/15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"