February 2013 Moms

2nd Ear Infection

I think we may be heading towards tubes if this keeps up. My poor little man has the second ear infection of his short life, and if he gets another one we're being referred to an ENT to discuss tubes. It's obviously not the worst thing, especially if it would help him from getting sick, but I feel so bad! Any STMs have experience with tubes? I'm scared of the surgery aspect, even though I know it's very routine.
BFP#1: 12.27.11, EDD 9.6.12, M/C 1/6/12 at 5w
BFP#2: 5.26.12, EDD 2.7.13, DS Born 2.1.13

Re: 2nd Ear Infection

• SagenSagen
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    My third had tubes put in when he was a few weeks shy of two. He didn't have any problems at all. It was a really short procedure, he woke up just fine and happy.  He took a really long nap in the afternoon but other than that he acted the same as always. He had one ear infection after that after getting many, many ear infections. He also started talking a lot more. He didn't have many words, then suddenly a month or so after he was talking up a storm. Not that you have to worry about talking at this age, but nice to know that hearing issues did clear up.

Mom to 4 cute kids! 9 yo girl 7 yo boy 5 yo boy and new baby boy!
  • image Sagen:
    My third had tubes put in when he was a few weeks shy of two. He didn't have any problems at all. It was a really short procedure, he woke up just fine and happy.  He took a really long nap in the afternoon but other than that he acted the same as always. He had one ear infection after that after getting many, many ear infections. He also started talking a lot more. He didn't have many words, then suddenly a month or so after he was talking up a storm. Not that you have to worry about talking at this age, but nice to know that hearing issues did clear up.

That's great to know! I'm so glad it was a good experience for your LO. My little guys babbles up a storm, so if this makes him start talking more I'm pretty sure our house will never be quiet again! Wink

BFP#1: 12.27.11, EDD 9.6.12, M/C 1/6/12 at 5w
    BFP#2: 5.26.12, EDD 2.7.13, DS Born 2.1.13
  • We had tubes put in for DS1 about 4 months ago (he was just under 2.5.)  I wish we had done it sooner!!!  We dealt with so many EIs and then we were always at the point where we were talking with the ENT about doing it, and then we waited to see if the summer was better, or if it got better as he got older, etc.  

Right when DS2 was born (perfect timing) he had an EI that would not die -- we're talking full course rocephin shots and it still wouldn't go away.  It was awful.  After that, DH and I scheduled an appt promptly, and he hasn't had an EI since.

The surgery itself is more scary for us than them, I think.  Plus if your DS is really young, I would think that would be easier.  With DS1, he knew more about what was happening, they had to take him away from us to put him under, etc, so that part was scary for him (and sad for us!).

DH and I have already said that if DS2 starts to go down this road, we are getting tubes the first time it is ever presented to us an option.  I am not messing around with this again....

Good luck to you!  And hope your LO starts feeling better soon! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
                   Cole Henry                                 Quinn
  • We had the procedure done when our daughter was a year old. Surgery was quick and easy. After a long nap that afternoon, she was up and playing like nothing had ever happened. She had CONSTANT infections before surgery. After she didn't have one for 17 months. She recently had one, but it was in the ear the tube has fallen out of. I highly rec the surgery, so worth it!
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Tubes were the best thing we have ever done for DS1!!  I wish they'd just give DS2 tubes before he ever even gets infections! :) DS1 had 6 in one year and tubes it was.  It's a 10 min procedure and after that he had only 2 infections between 14 months olds and 30 months old!  They recently fell out, so fingers crossed he won't need a second set.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers