Parenting

What is acceptable?

For those who have older kids, like 8 and up, how late do you allow them to stay outside playing and SCREAMING like crazy people?  I understand that school is almost over and the weather is finally nice, but good lord.  My neighbor's 2 kids are out in the backyard so far every night this week until 8:30/8:45pm yelling so loud that it wakes up DS1 because his room faces the back of the house.  Like ear piercing screeching.  I'm really good friends with this neighbor but DH says I can't complain to her.  What time do you bring your older LO's in from playing outside if they're being loud and it's getting late.  To me, 8:30/8:45 seems late, especially since our kids go to bed early.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What is acceptable?

• SpookoSpooko
    10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Combo Breaker
    Sorry, that sounds normal to me.

• I probably wouldn't be fond of the screaming, but I don't consider that quite late for kids that age. SD is 10, and our standard indoor time is 9. It may be later depending on the day. She is mindful of her noise level, though since she has a toddler for a sister.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• image Spooko:

Me too.

imageimageimageimage
  • Mos3Mos3
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Love Its Name Dropper
    image azzyberry:

image Spooko:

Me too.

Fair enough!  I don't hear the other kids in the neighborhood out at this hour and they just seemed exceptionally loud! 

• We let them stay out until it's dark.

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....
    MC#1- 12/2008, MC#2- 05/2009, MC#3 07/2009, MC#4 11/2009

Training to become an IBCLC. BF Questions? Just ask!

• The older kids stay out past dark when they are playing outside during summer break. However, our houses are far apart and we have no one beyond our backyard. DD will be back there after 9 playing basketball, but no one can hear her.

8:30 doesn't really seem late to me though.

• Annoying? Yes. Normal? Absolutely.

We didn't come in until the street lights came on at that age.
  • I can't imagine letting my kids play until after dark here that is around 10:20! But 8:45 seems normal to me.
  • Mos3Mos3
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Love Its Name Dropper
    I guess I'm the crotchety neighbor then!  Thanks for telling me what is normal! :)
  • That is probably really irritating and I know it would get on my nerves..

But then there is a side of me that is happy they are out playing instead of sitting in their room on some form of mind numbing technology.
  • I think it's totally acceptable for them to be playing outside at 8:30, as long as it's still light outside. However, I see no reason why you can't nicely mention to your neighbor that the screaming is waking up your LO. Or... just step outside, call the kids over to you and gently explain that you're happy to see them playing outside, but could they try not to scream since it's waking up the baby. As long as they're decent and respectful kids, I think they'll attempt to curb the screaming.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it's annoying, too. 
    "They tell me you were born premature, my child, but this is only partially true..
    for in my heart you were right on time." 
                                            OAD July Siggy Challenge
  • How are kids supposed to catch lightening bugs, blow glow in the dark bubbles or play flashlight tag if they don't stay outside past dark?

I miss being a kid. Fun times:)

• F'uck you mean I have to let my kid stay up past 7 pm at some point?!?!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "I love when people believe in conspiracy theories. It immediately tells me I'm smarter than you"- Daniel Tosh.
  • image KlondikeBar:
    How are kids supposed to catch lightening bugs, blow glow in the dark bubbles or play flashlight tag if they don't stay outside past dark?I miss being a kid. Fun times:
    Glow in the dark bubbles? Where can I get those?
  • image shanado:
    image KlondikeBar:
    How are kids supposed to catch lightening bugs, blow glow in the dark bubbles or play flashlight tag if they don't stay outside past dark?I miss being a kid. Fun times:
    Glow in the dark bubbles? Where can I get those?

I know Walmart has some in the seasonal toy area. I may have seen them at Target also. Amazon has a bunch too.

• image HilarityEnsued:
    F'uck you mean I have to let my kid stay up past 7 pm at some point?!?!

I was legit thinking this the whole time I'm reading this thread. Idk how ill let them play outside past 830 or 9 considering that's about my bedtime LOL. I'm typing this on mobile from bed

• Acceptable. My neighbor's little goofballs (brothers who are 6 and 4) are out playing with their glow in the dark Frisbees and Supersoakers most evenings. It's a gift to be almost done school and playing outside until it's dark out. Your kids' bedtimes don't enter into it. 

• image HilarityEnsued:

Yes. One of the highlights of motherhood is the night you climb the stairs to your cozy bed after a long day and tell your child to put himself to bed at a reasonable hour. 

• image Mos3:
    I guess I'm the crotchety neighbor then! nbsp;Thanks for telling me what is normal! :

I'm right there with you. I get so annoyed with the neighborhood kids playing out DS1 and DS2's widows at 8:30 and later.
  • My 35 year old neighborhood kids are out that late doing the same. It's annoying as sht.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • shakesshakes
    250 Answers 2500 Comments Sixth Anniversary 100 Love Its
    The time isn't an issue but the screaming would be. My Dad used to flip and I mean FLIP over me screaming and yelling outside people's houses. Park, sure! Field, absolutely. Backyard oh hell no! But again. I don't consider that late for that age and the time of year.

• image -auntie-:

image HilarityEnsued:

Yes. One of the highlights of motherhood is the night you climb the stairs to your cozy bed after a long day and tell your child to put himself to bed at a reasonable hour. 

this seems like candy land. I cannot imagine. I know it happens but it just feels like a fairy tale.  

"I love when people believe in conspiracy theories. It immediately tells me I'm smarter than you"- Daniel Tosh.
  • School is out here. DD has to be inside by the time the street lights come on.

When school was in, her bedtime was 8:30 so she was inside by then. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • image LaceFace14:
    My 35 year old neighborhood kids are out that late doing the same. It's annoying as sht.

lol. I assume mobile at the punctuation but still lol at "35 year old kid".  

• la79alla79al
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I'm currently being a mean mommy and trying to get my kiddos to bed by 8:30 but later in the summer, when other kids are out later, my girls and I will be out there with them, doing whatever, until it's too dark to see each other.  As far as the screaming, I also vote that you say something to the kids or the mom.  We have neighbor kids (14ish and 16ish) that would ride their dirtbikes through their yard at naptime.  We said something to them one time and it's never been a problem again.  Or at least get a white noise machine to try to help cover up the outside noise for your LOs. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • image HilarityEnsued:

image LaceFace14:
    My 35 year old neighborhood kids are out that late doing the same. It's annoying as sht.

lol. I assume mobile at the punctuation but still lol at "35 year old kid".  

It's a mobile glitch. That said, my neighbor's 35 year old kids had a garage band. I much prefer the little ones with their screachy voices. Ugh. This morning I awoke to the local cops practicing slow speed maneuvering on their shiny new motorcycles in the parking lot behind my house at 7am.  I liked them better on mountain bikes.