Stay at Home Moms

Grammy at 37

A friend just become a Grandmother at 37 yo. That is my age and I can't imagine. My oldest is 6 hahaha
CJ :-)

Re: Grammy at 37

• kmc217kmc217
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Love Its Combo Breaker
    Insanity. 

DD1 7/10/08  DD2 8/11/10  DS 7/2/13

• ::blink:: so awkward.

Granted... my mom was 45 

Ella the Mermaid 06/13/12 * Wesley the Pirate 09/08/14

• "Babies having babies" seems to run in families. I've always been interested in this. There are certainly environmental factors, but there's more to it. There were 2 girls in my class in high school who had been given up by young moms and adopted who then ended up getting pregnant in high school themselves. I wonder about the psychological influence of knowing that about your past and your birth parents. Obviously I have a small sample size, so this might have been an unusual scenario.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I can't imagine either. A friend of mine had a son the June after we graduated HS, so he is now 12. My daughter just turned 2. I can't imagine this either.

What were the ages of the women when they became moms? 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Jlee03Jlee03
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Comments Combo Breaker
    My sister who is 6 years older than I am is a grandmother, I am only 33, I could not even imagine being called a grandmother at that age. 
    Jennifer (31) image
  • Jlee03Jlee03
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Comments Combo Breaker

image joirish:
    "Babies having babies" seems to run in families. I've always been interested in this. There are certainly environmental factors, but there's more to it. There were 2 girls in my class in high school who had been given up by young moms and adopted who then ended up getting pregnant in high school themselves. I wonder about the psychological influence of knowing that about your past and your birth parents. Obviously I have a small sample size, so this might have been an unusual scenario.

I have family experience with this phenomenon. My mother was young mother and 3 of my sisters had children before they were 18. One of my nieces also had a child before she was 18. I was the only one in my family to have been married and waited to have children.

Jennifer (31) image
  • I can top that. A girl in my class in high school had a baby when she was 16. Her mom had HER when she was 17. Her mom was a grandma at 33. Pretty crazy.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • My friend got pregnant when she was 15. She is my age, and DD is 7 months. Her kids are 10, 8, 6, and 4. It is totally possible that she could be a grandma by that age. The thought is just odd to me! But then I have old parents. My mom was in her mid 30s when she had me.
  • Great grandmother was 16 when she had grandma.  Gma was 16 when she had my mom.  My mom was 21 when she had me.  I was 26 when I had my first.  Slowly, but surely we're straying from that pattern.

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • image joirish:
    "Babies having babies" seems to run in families. I've always been interested in this. There are certainly environmental factors, but there's more to it. There were 2 girls in my class in high school who had been given up by young moms and adopted who then ended up getting pregnant in high school themselves. I wonder about the psychological influence of knowing that about your past and your birth parents. Obviously I have a small sample size, so this might have been an unusual scenario.

ITA, it's so interesting. I've always been more on the "nature" side of the nature v nurture debate, so I tend to think it has something to do with hormones and fertility more than being raised to think it's a good idea or acceptable.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• image Hav=Fath:

My mom was 16 when she had my sister so she was a grandma at 37. 

I can top that though, my aunt was 44 when she became a great grandma!! She was 16 when she had my cousin, my cousin was 15 and her daughter was 13... sad but very true. 

The most disturbing thing about my cousin having a baby at 13 was her baby shower... that was at the elementary school.  

That makes me so so sad. Like, when I was thirteen, I'd just stopped screaming every time Hanson came on the TV. 

Ella the Mermaid 06/13/12 * Wesley the Pirate 09/08/14

• id012id012
    250 Answers 1000 Comments 250 Love Its Second Anniversary
    My father in law became a grandfather at 39.
  • alakealake
    250 Answers 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 100 Love Its
    My grandma was 39. My mom has a good friend who is a great grandma, she is 53. I am friends with her grand daughter who's daughter is the same age as summer, seven.
  • My mom became a grandma at 46. I was 17. So it's entirely possible I could be a young grandma one day.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• CnAmomCnAmom
    10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary
    My dad bacame a grandpa at 40 when my sister had a baby at 15. He wasn't happy.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers, Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • la79alla79al
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Love Its Name Dropper
    My stepson is almost 17 and talking about having a kid.  I'm not sure that I am done so I could potentially have a child younger than my (step) grandchild.  That seems so bizarro to me.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers   Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • CnAmomCnAmom
    10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary
    image la79al:
    My stepson is almost 17 and talking about having a kid.  I'm not sure that I am done so I could potentially have a child younger than my (step) grandchild.  That seems so bizarro to me.
    Why is your stepson talking about having a baby at almost 17?
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers, Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • la79alla79al
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Love Its Name Dropper

image CnAmom:
    image la79al:

Because no one can tell him that this is a bad idea.  He knows absolutely everything and has it all figured out.  His mom lets him have more freedom than I would but she won't do anything to inconvenience herself.  Only plus side is that his 'girlfriend' doesn't live near him and he doesn't even have his license yet. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers   Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I have a friend who was a gramma at 37.  She was 19 and daughter was 18.
  • NandaBNandaB
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary
    image Hav=Fath:
    image Mermaids&Magic:
    image Hav=Fath:

My mom was 16 when she had my sister so she was a grandma at 37. 

I can top that though, my aunt was 44 when she became a great grandma!! She was 16 when she had my cousin, my cousin was 15 and her daughter was 13... sad but very true. 

The most disturbing thing about my cousin having a baby at 13 was her baby shower... that was at the elementary school.  

That makes me so so sad. Like, when I was thirteen, I'd just stopped screaming every time Hanson came on the TV. 

I know. 13, I can't even imagine. The moms of both kids who had the baby fought for custody of the baby girl and ended up sharing custody, neither of the kids take care of her.

Of course not. I wouldn't even leave my kid with a 13 yr old babysitter
    G: 5/8/11
    N: 4/8/13
    having a baby on Christmas!

*suck it bump - siggies are hard
  • +ASH++ASH+
    1000 Comments 5 Love Its First Anniversary

image la79al:

My sister's nephew was this way. He had a baby before he finished high school, hates the baby mama, but now has her pregnant with baby #2 (and she's a piece of work too). This one will be a second boy and they want a girl. My almost-15 year old niece defends them when we say how stupid they are. I can see where this will lead. Sadly it's that side of the family - two years ago, we had her talking about colleges and goals. Now she told me recently that she wants to be married with a baby by the time she was 20. I (tactfully) called her out on that stupidity. I was married at 20 and had a baby at 21 and I don't romanticize it. We beat some insanely steep odds, but I make no secret of the fact that marriage is work and it's not some long romantic date where you have a cute little chubby baby as a prop or accessory. I'm hoping she listens.  

DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • My mother was 38 when she became a grandma. I was 18 when I had a baby that was adopted by a family member. At 20 I had my second daughter, so in theory if my daughter had a baby before 20 I too would be grandma by 40. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • 2-Step2-Step
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 25 Love Its Combo Breaker

image joirish:

I knew two families like this in high school. One of which had a grandmother, mother and daughter that all had babies at 15! So the great-grandmother was about 45!! Crazy!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My mom got pregnant at 19 and had me at 20.  I'm pretty sure her greatest fear in life was becoming a grandmother in her 30s.

On my 20th birthday I came home and found her singing on my answering machine:

Happy Birthday to you!

Happy Birthday to you!

Thank God you're not pregnant!

Happy Birthday to you!

She became a grandma just before her 50th birthday.  By that point she was begging for it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I work with a woman who is a 32 year old grandma. That's younger than dh. It's very sad. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You know? My mom was a grandma at 38 now that i think about it. She had my sister at 20 and my sis has her oldest at 18.
  • image CnAmom:
    image la79al:

Oh ** no.
  • image la79al:

image CnAmom:
    image la79al:

Because no one can tell him that this is a bad idea.  He knows absolutely everything and has it all figured out.  His mom lets him have more freedom than I would but she won't do anything to inconvenience herself.  Only plus side is that his 'girlfriend' doesn't live near him and he doesn't even have his license yet. 

He needs a dose of reality. That us when I get creative with my patenting and put him in the role of "parent" for a while.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards