Parenting

What would you do?

We were at a splash playground yesterday(a closed place, sort of a small water park, commercial place), where there's obviously a lot of water and exciting kids. Most of the kids were young, including toddlers, pre schoolers, and elementary school aged kids, etc and parents. Some kids were running (most were not). Then a 5 year old boy and an 11 year old girl bumped to each other and the boy fell down on his back and bumped the back of his head to the hard floor (concrete). He cried. His parents came to check on him and calmed him down. The girl went away without saying anything and her parents didn't show up either (the girl looked a lot bigger and older than a typical 11 year old). But then about half an hour later, the boy and the same girl obviously bumped together again. This time, the boy fell on his face and hurt his forehead, and mouth (lips and tongue, etc). The parents got upset and started talking to the park staff, to ask for first aid and talk about the event. Then the girl's parents came up and said she's the mom and asked the boy's parents to talk to her, not the staff. Then she said her daughter was sorry (in a polite, yet not a very  apologetic tone) and she was only an 11 year old kid, etc. The boy's parents then went on checking the boy and decided they wanted the girl's parents' contact information.  The girl's parents refused to give it and tried to leave the park. Then the boy's parents called the police.   

If you were the boy's parents, what would you do?

Re: What would you do?

• Without true knowledge of his injury extent...
    I wouldn't call the cops.

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• I'm kind of confused why the mom wanted the other family to come to her instead of the park staff for first aid.
    June 2014 July Siggy Challenge - Squish Pics

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Kryptic Mischief in the Making
  • I'm confused as to what the police would actually do in this situation? Is the 11 y/o supposed to be charged with assault or something? 

• The park isn't liable for the injury and neither is the 11 year old.
                                        Tessa: 10/28/10                    Nora 8/30/12                            Reid 8/6/14
  • Why were they upset at the 11 year old? Was she like, intentionally charging at the little boy with intent to knock him down? Like, targeting him?

I have been annoyed by kids picking on littler ones and by being reckless, but I would never have called the cops. If the girl was being reckless, I'd ask her (and my kid) to slow down. If she was targetting him, I'd do the same and perhaps mention it to her parents or leave.

Why the HECK were the cops called? Why did they need the girl's contact info? I wouldn't have given it either. Kids bumped each other. What, are they going to sue or press charges? 

image image
  • image RondackHiker:

Why were they upset at the 11 year old? Was she like, intentionally charging at the little boy with intent to knock him down? Like, targeting him?

I have been annoyed by kids picking on littler ones and by being reckless, but I would never have called the cops. If the girl was being reckless, I'd ask her (and my kid) to slow down. If she was targetting him, I'd do the same and perhaps mention it to her parents or leave.

Why the HECK were the cops called? Why did they need the girl's contact info? I wouldn't have given it either. Kids bumped each other. What, are they going to sue or press charges? 

The only thing I can figure is maybe this was the "little kid" area, and they don't think she should have been in there due to size?

• image krptcmschfmkr128:
    image RondackHiker:

Why were they upset at the 11 year old? Was she like, intentionally charging at the little boy with intent to knock him down? Like, targeting him?

The only thing I can figure is maybe this was the "little kid" area, and they don't think she should have been in there due to size?

True, but even then. The cops? And isn't that up to the park to determine if you are too big or too little for certain areas? Ours have lifeguards every 10 feet or so.

Tessa: 10/28/10                    Nora 8/30/12                            Reid 8/6/14
  • That's absurd. It sounds like an accident or, worst cast scenario, the kid is getting picked on by an 11 year old giant. I'd get him the proper medical attention then leave.

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....
    MC#1- 12/2008, MC#2- 05/2009, MC#3 07/2009, MC#4 11/2009

Training to become an IBCLC. BF Questions? Just ask!

• Why the hell is anyone calling the police over two kids bumping while playing?

To sound like an old nut rocking on a rocking chair on my front porch, "this is what is wrong with society today"

I would have thought that boy's parents were effing lawsuit happy nuts and it would be a cold day in hell before I ever game them contact information.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    "I love when people believe in conspiracy theories. It immediately tells me I'm smarter than you"- Daniel Tosh.
  • I could see the kid's parents wanting to seek medical attention if the kid was bleeding from the face. But you don't turn it in as liability to the girl's parents or to the park.
  • image LoisLayn23:
    image krptcmschfmkr128:
    image RondackHiker:

True, but even then. The cops? And isn't that up to the park to determine if you are too big or too little for certain areas? Ours have lifeguards every 10 feet or so.

Oh, I agree, I wouldn't have called the cops. If you think the staff isn't doing their job, it's your responsibility as a mature adult to take your child out of the situation. 

• I really want to know which parent the OP is in the situation. The parent of the boy, the girl, or an observer. But would an observer be close enough to notice the tone the girl's parent used? And would the girl's parent note that her own tone wasn't apologetic? 

image image
  • image RondackHiker:

I really want to know which parent the OP is in the situation. The parent of the boy, the girl, or an observer. But would an observer be close enough to notice the tone the girl's parent used? And would the girl's parent note that her own tone wasn't apologetic? 

This is an excellent question.  I actually wondered that because I was wondering how she had so much first-hand knowledge simply by observing, specifically about the girl's age but how she didn't look her age.

"I love when people believe in conspiracy theories. It immediately tells me I'm smarter than you"- Daniel Tosh.
  • Um, I wouldn't be giving out my contact information to anyone, either in that case. (Trying to look at it from the girls' parents' situation).

I can't really say much more about the situation without knowing whether the girl was targeting the much younger boy on purpose and running into him / TRYING to push him down...and the actual extent of his injuries.

I mean, it obviously sucks big time to see your child get hurt - and something about having a much older and bigger child involved in whatever incident resulted in the injury seems to add to the suckage - but this isn't something I can see callin gthe Po Po over. What exactly are the cops going to do here?

If you don't want your child potentially having contact with other kids, then keep them at home and turn on the backyard sprinkler. Water parks, public playscapes, etc all carry a certain risk you assume when you take your child to use them.

Big Sister ~ Little Brother

• Who was running in this situation? If they were both running I would have not tolerated that from my child. If they had been warned about running, and running at a pool is a HUGE issue for me so my kids would have been, we would have left after the first collision if not before.

But let's just say that my kid wasn't running and the big kid was. I think I would have approached the girl myself if she just ran off, or her parents if I knew who they were after the first incident. I definitely understand talking to staff after the second, again if my kid were not running but the big kid was. She needs to be told in serious ways how unsafe that is, and if she didn't figure it out after the first time then maybe staff should tell her, make her sit out a while or leave for the day. Falling at a pool is no joke.

I would not expect anyone to pay money in this situation even if I had to take him to a doctor. I would not call the police.

Note: LO has an issue with not looking where she's going. We are working on it. If we're still working on it in 7 years, I'll be bald.

Hysterectomy after Stage IV Endometriosis
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Charlotte Rocks!

• I would be shocked if the cops came out for that.

Take boy to ER, make sure nothing is wrong, the end.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It's hard to say without being there and knowing more details about injuries and all.  I don't think I'd call the police, though, and would try working with the park staff instead.  If they thought they needed to call the police, I'd leave that up to them. 

O&D October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Halloween Candy

2 Bostons, 1 Preemie, & 65 Roses

• Unless a parent pushed a parent, there is no reason to call the police.
  • image EllaHella:
    image BostonKisses2:

It's hard to say without being there and knowing more details about injuries and all.  I don't think I'd call the police, though, and would try working with the park staff instead.  If they thought they needed to call the police, I'd leave that up to them. 

But why on god's green earth would there be even a question of police involvement? 

I'm having a very hard time thinking of anything that would be necessary of police involvement, so that's why I said I'd leave it up to the park if there was something they felt needed to be reported. 

O&D October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Halloween Candy

2 Bostons, 1 Preemie, & 65 Roses

• I don't understand why the parents would threaten to call the cops. The cops have more important things to deal with than kids bumping into other kids. Even if it was intentional on the girl's part, is the expectation that the cops will arrest her!?!?! That is so dumb. People love to call the cops for everything (their pizza wasn't delivered timely, someone was rude, etc.). People should start resolving their own problems; I just don't get it. DH is in LE and if someone said that to him he would laugh in their face and tell them to get a life. I am looking forward to sharing this with him later...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Did they want the parents' contact info in case it turned out to be serious, like to cover medical expenses or something?
    I'm not following any of this.
    SQUIRREL!!!

• If it were an innocent accident of two kids playing and bumping into each other, I'd do nothing.

if an 11 year old kid intentionally injured my child I would notify park staff. I would not expect the park to release personal contact info-that is just insane.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image jorkz821:
    Did they want the parents' contact info in case it turned out to be serious, like to cover medical expenses or something?

This is what I figured from reading the story. Sounds like a Judge Judy case.

• image jorkz821:
    Did they want the parents' contact info in case it turned out to be serious, like to cover medical expenses or something?

Unless the older girl was intentionally hurting the kid, and from the OP she says some kids were "running" and never mentions if they were hurting on purpose, then even so I wouldn't expect the other parents to pay. My kid gets hurt playing around and it's called an accident.

Charlotte Rocks!

• image fredalina:
    image jorkz821:

Unless the older girl was internationally hurting the kid, and from the OP she says some kids were "running" and never mentions if they were hurting on purpose, then even so I wouldn't expect the other parents to pay. My kid gets hurt playing around and it's called an accident.

I am thinking that the same two kids colliding hard enough twice to cause injury to the younger child... the girl seems bery aggressive and potentially targeting the younger child.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image highlights:
    image fredalina:
    image jorkz821:

Unless the older girl was internationally hurting the kid, and from the OP she says some kids were "running" and never mentions if they were hurting on purpose, then even so I wouldn't expect the other parents to pay. My kid gets hurt playing around and it's called an accident.

I am thinking that the same two kids colliding hard enough twice to cause injury to the younger child... the girl seems bery aggressive and potentially targeting the younger child.

Or a bit careless. Or not paying attention. It doesn't take that much to get hurt while falling on concrete.

image image
  • image RondackHiker:
    image highlights:
    image fredalina:
    image jorkz821:

Or a bit careless. Or not paying attention. It doesn't take that much to get hurt while falling on concrete.
    Yup. And if you're watching, you can tell. I think OP would have said if it looked like the boy was being targeted or the girl was being malicious.

Charlotte Rocks!

• Omgsh.. calling the cops? Seriously? That wouldn't have even crossed my mind. Reporting to staff, yes. Talking to the parents, yes. But asking for contact info? No. That's insane. Noone is going give their contact info to an irrational stranger. They would probably end up harassing them.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • image ItsAllGravy7:
    If for some reason they tried to claim this was intentional the cops would respond and the 11 year old would probably be put through a juvenile hearing with a judge. It would be a huge stupid drama. I know because when I was 11 this 9 year old boy wouldn't leave my 7 year old sister alone. He kept throwing snow balls at her and being a general jackass and she was crying. Well I owned the little shiit and his Mom called the cops. I had to have a hearing in front of a judge who deemed the entire thing a ridiculous waste of time and money and threw the case out but yeah. Cops at my house, hours of questioning. Stupid. And this kid didn't even bleed like OP's son did.

We're soul sisters on this issue.

I punched a kid in the face and gave him a bloody nose in third grade because he was mercilessly teasing my little brother (who was in kindergarten) and made him cry in front of the entire cafeteria.

I should also mention that I was about 5 feet tall in 3rd grade... the kid didn't mess with my brother again.

Thankfully it was the 80s and no one sued anyone.

• I'm guessing the boy's parents thought the girl was doing it on purpose?  Or they thought the boy might need medical attention and want to be able to recoup costs from the parents?  I think it would be pretty crappy to file an assault complaint against the 11 yo unless she was doing it on purpose.  Unfortunately they are probably within their rights to do so.  

As far as the other parents, I think they should have taken it more seriously and it may have diffused the situation.  An 11 yo is old enough to be aware of and careful of little kids.  If it was the second time she had hurt a little kid by being reckless (accidental or not), the park should have asked her to leave or at least the parents should have sat her down for a while until she calmed down and realized she needed to be more aware of her surroundings.  She's old enough to be expected to be more careful of others, especially little kids.  1 time, unfortunate accident; 2 times, there's a problem that needs to be addressed.   

I give up trying to get a ticker.  I have a DD that is 2.5 years old and is awesome.  Maybe I'll add a quote to distinguish myself.  Hmmm.  How about...

"It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?" - A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards