August 2011 Moms

my dog frustrates me.

It's getting to the point where I don't know what to do any more. She has become a nasty b!tch lately, and DH wants to rehome her. In fact, he has wanted to 'get rid of her' for awhile now.
Which is why I am conflicted.. today I was out running some errands and he claims she snapped at Stella while she was eating. She has only ever snapped one other time, and it was at me, when she was on the bed and I booted her off.
She has had fleas this season, despite being an inside dog with monthly treatments, frequent baths, etc. DH found one on himself and I found one on myself, and we are both concerned about them being on Stella. obviously we are treating the dog for them, but she still has some in the process.

She constantly waits until we are out oftthe room or gone to use the bathroom in the house, usually in Stella's play room or peeing on the same electrical cord, or you know, just a dump in the floor while we eat dinner.WWe take her out frequently, and she always has some home exceptwwhen we go out together rare, maybe 2x/ week for 3 hours. We have tried everything we know to get the behavior to stop, only allowing her food at set times, walks, longer walks, free time in the yard, puppy pads, carting but it is getting worse.
She was a rescue dog, 2 when we got her, and we have had her for almost a year. When we first got her she was very attached to me, and was essentially my dog my idea attachedto me. Now she will not come if I call her, and multiple times she has specifically scrapped on my clothes, on my purse once too.

I'm wondering if it is a separation anxiety issue, so I asked the vet. He says it is probably breed and age related. He offered medication, but saidit may not help and may cause worse behaviors, and diarrhea, itching, etc, so I didn't opt to try it.

I am beginning to regret ever getting her, and it hurts my heart because I do love her, but she is just not the family companion we thought she would be, and if she is going to continue the issues then I don't know what to do. Especially the snapping, which made Stella cry.

Sorry so long and for any typos, I am mobile, and really upset about this.

image photo wereallmad_zps579d81c0.jpg
  Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Maternity tickers

Re: my dog frustrates me.

• Sorry to hear this news about your pup. Has your vet checked her hearing/sight? If it's small toy dog they need tons of attention.

I guess if your option would be to find a home. You could always check rescue centers for her breed.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I'm really sorry :(  I rehomed a cat when pregnant because he wasn't going to work being a family pet. You get no flames from me for considering!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am so sorry. I had a similar post last week. If you go back you can read Crashs advice which was great.

My dogs both had tons of accidents when we had the kids. I switched to using BioKleen to clean it up. It has a very strong lemon lime smell and the dogs stopped potting in the same places when I started using it. Also, I had to re house train them. Go outside with your dog and give treats and attention when she potties in the yard. One of our dogs isn't food motivated at all so when he potties in the yard I make him happy by clapping and telling him he's a good boy. Also, instead of flushing their poop, which I used to do, if they go in the house I take the poop outside and tell them "go outside!!"

With the fleas, they most likely are in your carpets. Go to the store and get the largest container of salt out there. Sprinkle everything in your house with salt and let it sit a day. Vacuum it up and then repeat that process one to two more times. The fleas can't breed or live with salt. It doesn't even have to be a thick layer, just sprinkle if everywhere. You'll probably have to vacuum everyday for a few days to get all of the salt up, but it works, it's natural, and you don't have to spray anything.

Good luck, keep us posted, and I'm not judging, I'm just trying to help.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I don't have carpets, but I'm worried about keeping the fleas out of the beds/ couches/ stuffed toys. Would salt work? I'm thinking of bombing again, we just did in April as a preventative. Crash,, I love Dawn soap. I've washed her in it as much as I can at this point, and they die but within 3 hours she is itching again. I'm pretty sure the issue is in our yard, because the previous tenants had something like 9 outside dogs and over 20 cats animal hoarders.

I will try some of the potty tips, thanks guys. I'm at home with her constantly, and she gets what I thought was plenty of attention, time outside, etc. but maybe I have been wrong.

She is not very playful. she is extremely tolerant of Stella, seriously. Stella could and has accidentally be too rough or be in her face, and Nova just lays there. So I think she is a great family pet, in tolerance of our own ways. We just need to adjust learn to tolerate her.

Also, the vet has ruled out a UTI and other health issues. she has been 6 times this year, 3 this month for the fleas, and twice before because I was sure she had a UTI, to be peeing in the house so.much. the other was routine.

• I agree with crash, spray the yard. My dogs have gotten fleas from outside at my parents farm before.

You can put salt on the couch, pillows, area rugs, etc. you'll want to wash anything the dog lays on or with. You can throw all sheets, towels, blankets, etc in the washer... Wash on hot. You can use BioKleen in your washer which will for sure kill them.

Like Crash said, vacuum like a fool. Get around the edges of the rooms, on chairs, in nooks and crannies. They could be lurking in any fabric. Mark your calendar the start of daily vacuuming and give yourself a month. We had them really bad last summer. You can also give your dog the flea treatments every two weeks instead of once a month. And, try changing brands. We switched from Frontline to a different brand because I heard some fleas won't be killed by Frontline.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks ladies. she has been bathed again today, and unfortunately for her she is being isolated until her treatment dries. But at least she is in our room, which is her favorite place to be. I treated our bed with the salt and brought our air mattress out for me DH to let it sit as long as I can. My couch is a vinyl POS that I would throw away at the first chance for a new one, so I'm assuming I should just get it with the vacuum as much as possible?

I'm on my way to WalMart to get more vacuum bags now, and cedar. Apparently they hate cedar?

• image Crash Into Me:
    They actually need to be poisoned to death.

Agreed.
    I skipped it, got a yard spray and sevin dust, an indoor spray, and picked up something vet approved as an addition to her medicine. And 27 vacuum bags. Die, bastards.

Also, I took her for 2 long walks today and she loved it, and has been happily sleeping by my feet like old times.
    I'm hopeful that some changes on our part will help her mood, because she has always been a great dog prior to about 3 months ago. I'm not sure why she changed, but hopefully we can get back to how it was.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards