Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Anyone tried pouches? My LO loves them, but has a fit when he is done.

So I was recently at a wedding and saw a relative giving something similar to this to her child straight out of the pouch:

http://www.gerber.com/AllStages/products/puree_baby_food/org_pouch_apple_pear_apricot_mixed_grains.aspx

I decided to try it with my DS because he really likes to feed himself, but isn't great with a spoon yet. I tried this and he loved it!!!   It was like baby crack! Only problem, as soon as he was done and there was no more left, he had a complete meltdown. My DH kept saying, "I think maybe he bit his tongue or something" because our little guy was carrying on so. However, we tried it again the next day and the next with the same result. LO appears to like it so much that when he is done and the food is all gone, he has a meltdown afterwards. And taking the empty pouch away from him really makes him upset. We even tried offering him a bottle afterwards, but it just continued on for quite some time. Honestly, I have never seen him cry like this before... Clearly, he likes the food and likes being able to feed himself, but how do I let him enjoy this *treat* without having to deal with the fall out from WWIII when he has completed the pouch?

Edit: typo

IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:

Re: Anyone tried pouches? My LO loves them, but has a fit when he is done.

• Nicb13Nicb13
    5000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers Second Anniversary
    Yes, DS loves them too...a little too much. I usually only give them when we are on the go or in a pinch. We buy the Sprout organic ones. When DS freaks out after finishing one then that tells me he's still hungry so I offer him something else to snack on or give him some milk. If your LO is just freaking out for more pouches then I'd probably just ignore the fit. He'll eventually have to stop crying right?!

image DS born 3/10/12

BabyFetus Ticker

• image Nicb13:
    Yes, DS loves them too...a little too much. I usually only give them when we are on the go or in a pinch. We buy the Sprout organic ones. When DS freaks out after finishing one then that tells me he's still hungry so I offer him something else to snack on or give him some milk. If your LO is just freaking out for more pouches then I'd probably just ignore the fit. He'll eventually have to stop crying right?!

Yeah, he does stop eventually...I don't think it is a hunger issue because he has refused the bottle.  It is like he just really wants that pouch.  He actually gets less upset if you give him the pouch back even if there isn't any food left in it.  Of course, he will keep sucking on like he thinks he can still get some food out of it.  He does something somewhat similar with baby food and the spoon.  He wants to hold on to the spoon and lick on it afterwards and gets upset if you try to take it away...but not to the same extent.  It is like he thinks the pouch or spoon is magical and eventually food will come back out of it again. 

IF DX: DOR & Fragile X pre-mutation carrier
    2011: FSH 13.3 & E 99; AMH 0.54 2nd FSH 6.2 E 40's AFC: 8
    BFP from Clomid/IUI ~ Pre-e and IUGR during pregnancy ~ DS born 9/4/12
    Feb./March 2013: AMH less than 0.16 (undectable) and AFC = 4;
    BFP from supps ~ DS#2 due May 2014

May 2014 January Siggy Challenge:
  • Nicb13Nicb13
    5000 Comments 500 Love Its 5 Answers Second Anniversary

I let DS hold on to the empty pouch for a while too. He just holds it there between his teeth. Eventually he drops it on the floor and forgets about it. He still holds onto a spoon when he's eating and hates giving it back. Same with his toothbrush. He throws a fit when I take his tooth brush away.

I TRY not to give him too many pouches but my thinking is that the kind I buy are straight fruit and veggies, nothing else added and it's better than other snacks he could be getting. If DS didn't want "real" food or only ate purees then that would be a problem but I see nothing wrong with pouches unless your child refuses any other type of food.

image DS born 3/10/12

BabyFetus Ticker

• We use the screw on spoons. Baby has not tried to eat from spout. Do you think because he ate so quick with it maybe he got a bellyache. 
  • I don't know that I have anything helpful to add, but my LO does the same thing when he's eating finger foods.  I'll give him tiny pieces of soft fruits and veggies, and as soon as he's finished what's on his tray, he starts screaming. 
    BFP #1: 2/14/11. EDD: 10/20/11. Missed m/c discovered in April at 12 weeks, d&c. BFP #2: 12/27/11. EDD: 9/9/2012.