Stay at Home Moms

Vacations and kids missing school

Do/will you let your kids miss school for family vacations? 

Forever blessed through adoption! 7-17-11

Re: Vacations and kids missing school

• Tough one and never say never and all that shiit, but I would say we will try to avaoid it if at all possible.

Family events happen, and unqiue opportunities present themselves. But in general I think pulling your kid out of school for a week to go to Disney World to save a few bucks and because you don't like the heat is dumb. 

Baby Numbers 11.8.10 The Sequel on or around 10.13.12
  • Highly unlikely, as DH is a teacher.

• pevilapevila
    250 Answers 1000 Comments Fifth Anniversary 100 Love Its
    I will. I don't think it's a big deal. But it depends on the school. If DD gets a spot in the German school I want, I won't be able to let her miss school to travel. Other schools are more relaxed. 
  • CnAmomCnAmom
    10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary
    Not if I can help it. But our schools have a really strict attendance policy and "well we wanted to beat the crowds at Disney" just won't fly as an excused absence.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers, Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Highly unlikely.  My parents were very strict about that growing up and I think I will continue that with my family.  When I was in 5th grade my dad let me take a half day so we could catch an earlier flight to Florida, just the two of us, to visit his parents.  I remember that being really special. 

I know a family that allowed their 18 year old to miss a whole week to go to Disney when they weren't sure if she was going to pass math, which would stop her from graduating.  I side eyed the crap out of that one.   

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

11/2010- Diagnosed with PCOS
    BFP #1 10/10/2011 EDD 6/19/2012;Natural M/C 10/31/2011 @ 8wks
    BFP #2 5/10/2012 EDD 1/14/2013: Baby Girl born 1/12/2013
  • I don't know if we will or not, I'd like to say never but I don't know that it'll never happen. What makes it harder is our schools schedule so many snow days in so we don't get any breaks that are any length during the year (meaning spring and fall breaks like some schools do). 

• image amy052006:

Tough one and never say never and all that shiit, but I would say we will try to avaoid it if at all possible.

Family events happen, and unqiue opportunities present themselves. But in general I think pulling your kid out of school for a week to go to Disney World to save a few bucks and because you don't like the heat is dumb

I would do this, but we plan to make Disney a one time trip. However I do think it should be done very sparingly. Every year is absurd IMO. It's unfair to the teacher and your child(ren). A couple days here or there...fine.

FTR: I do think it is different now a days than when I was little. Missing a week was nbd and easy to catch up. Now it is very different and missing a week can be very difficult on them.

ETA: I would not do a full week. I mispoke but I would do a couple days.

CJ :-)
  • My son has extended school year for his special needs.  This year he will be missing some of those days (4 days of 19 total) because we are going out of town.  I hate that he is missing school, but we won't put off visiting with family because of this summer program.

We don't go anywhere during the regular school year, so he doesn't miss other than sick days.

_____________________________________________________________________________

SAHM to 3+ kiddos... K (5/05), N (4/09), C (11/10) and Baby Annabelle (due 1/21/14, c-section 1/15)

J'14 January Siggy Challenge:
    As of Jan 15th (ie: Eviction date) ...

• Nope. Unless it's absolutely unavoidable my kids do not and will not miss school.
    image image Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • As a hgh school teacher, I hate that! Oh yeah, let me plan a bunch of stuff you can do on your own in addition to all the stuff I need to plan for everyone who is staying in school like they are supposed to! All because your parents didn't look at the school calendar before planning their trip. Fun stuff.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

• H has missed 3 days of kindergarten for trips (and another 2 where he was sick). TThey were all long weekends where we stayed an extra day. I wouldn't have him take a full week off unless it was a great opportunity for some reason, but a day here and there is ok at this age for me.
    Henry 4.23.2007 Elliot 3.30.2012

img width="300" src=""

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Absolutely, yes. We're 97% sure we'll be home schooling anyways, but if she was in public school I'd absolutely let her miss school for a vacation... I did all the time as a kid, and it wasn't much of a problem. Missing more than a week starts getting rough, though, so no more than a week. My family always did our 2 week vacations during one week of spring break and one week of school - Resorts/hotel cost less during the off season, so it was a great way to save money, and my brother and I would bring along some of our school work and spend an hour or two every day working on what we could. My teachers were always very understanding. 

Edit - I should say, I'm talking about missing one week of school for a vacation that happened every 2 years. I think it was completely worth it. But it definitely shouldn't be something that happens all the time.  

Married October 9th, 2010. DD born March 11th, 2012. Baby Joy #2, EDD April 28th '14!!! 
  • image joyfullyfound:
    Absolutely, yes. We're 97% sure we'll be home schooling anyways, but if she was in public school I'd absolutely let her miss school for a vacation... I did all the time as a kid, and it wasn't much of a problem. Missing more than a week starts getting rough, though, so no more than a week. My family always did our 2 week vacations during one week of spring break and one week of school - Resorts/hotel cost less during the off season, so it was a great way to save money, and my brother and I would bring along some of our school work and spend an hour or two every day working on what we could. My teachers were always very understanding. 

My mom was a teacher.  Her friends were all teachers.  Many of my friends are teachers.

I assure you they were not understanding -- they just weren't taking out their frustration/disapproval on you. 

Baby Numbers 11.8.10 The Sequel on or around 10.13.12
  • image amy052006:

image joyfullyfound:
    Absolutely, yes. We're 97% sure we'll be home schooling anyways, but if she was in public school I'd absolutely let her miss school for a vacation... I did all the time as a kid, and it wasn't much of a problem. Missing more than a week starts getting rough, though, so no more than a week. My family always did our 2 week vacations during one week of spring break and one week of school - Resorts/hotel cost less during the off season, so it was a great way to save money, and my brother and I would bring along some of our school work and spend an hour or two every day working on what we could. My teachers were always very understanding. 

My mom was a teacher.  Her friends were all teachers.  Many of my friends are teachers.

I assure you they were not understanding -- they just weren't taking out their frustration/disapproval on you. 

I agree! A student obviously had no say in when their family was going on vacation. However, there are many educational activities that just can't be recreated or done alone on vacation. I can assure you that whatever kids are assigned to take on vacation is not as rigorous or useful as whatever is going on in class.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Yes, but it's another reason we might homeschool. With DH's military career we'll take vacations when we can get them.
    holz

My little sidekick August 2010

Mr. Sunshine April 2012

• image amy052006:

image joyfullyfound:

I don't know, I really do think that things were different when we were kids. 

• CnAmomCnAmom
    10000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary
    image joyfullyfound:

Edit - I should say, I'm talking about missing one week of school for a vacation that happened every 2 years. I think it was completely worth it. But it definitely shouldn't be something that happens all the time.  

If you do public school you might want to rethink that. Ours allow 3 unexcused absences per year and family vacation falls under unexcused absence. You take a week off and you will find yourself in a truancy/expulsion hearing when you get back.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers, Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I always said no then became a hypocrite in DDs first year of kinder. My parents took our whole family on a Disney cruise this winter she missed three days of school for it and it was the only three days she missed all year. 

I don't plan to make a habit of it. I agree with Amy that it is eye roll worthy for teachers.

There really is no reason to go during school as there are a ton of built in breaks.  

Mom to Emma 9/4/06 and Jackson 11/24/08 M/C Dec 11 and M/C twins feb 2012. BFP Thanksgiving! EDD Aug 4, 2013 M/C at 5 weeks.
  • image Andrewsgal:

I always said no then became a hypocrite in DDs first year of kinder. My parents took our whole family on a Disney cruise this winter she missed three days of school for it and it was the only three days she missed all year. 

I don't plan to make a habit of it. I agree with Amy that it is eye roll worthy for teachers.

There really is no reason to go during school as there are a ton of built in breaks.  

Our schools don't have built in breaks. Well, they do at the beginning but they all get taken away as snow days are happening. I know people that will plan to travel during breaks and they get taken away, sometimes they still go though. 

• image CnAmom:
    image joyfullyfound:

If you do public school you might want to rethink that. Ours allow 3 unexcused absences per year and family vacation falls under unexcused absence. You take a week off and you will find yourself in a truancy/expulsion hearing when you get back.

I remember a classmate of mine, whose mother was a judge, ending up in trouble over family vacations during school days. Her mother had to answer to truant officers upon return over taking a week vacation. Our district does not mess around. That definitely set my mindset about missing school.

A once in a lifetime thing is different and our school board would listen to certain requests (such as when I went on a mission trip with my church, but it was the week after our spring break because it aligned with another town's break) and approved them very rarely. Generally, though, they treated it as if your boss had turned down your request for time off and you went anyway.

image image Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yep, I would.  Especially because the district we live in is not the district I work in so the breaks are all different.  Not ever year, but I wouldn't rule it out either.  
    Hallelujah, it's a miracle, I have children AND a signature!
    image image

TTC since February 2009
    MC 6/28/2010 @ 7w 5d
    Dx low progesterone October 2010, IUI success and then a total surprise!
  • We never did this as kids. So I didn't even think it was a thing.

Most likely we won't. But if something awesome came up I wouldn't be against it.
  • It wouldn't be my preference but if an opportunity presented itself that we couldn't pass up, I would. It would also depend on my child. Honors classes? Yeah, they can probably handle missing a week. If they're in danger of failing, then no, I would really really not want to pull them out if I could help it.

My niece and nephew's school won't allow the teachers to give homework ahead of time. There is a set assignment for missing school for a vacation (I think keeping a journal + reading) but they're responsible for making everything up when they return. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Considering my child missed 17 days because of MANY different sicknesses (the flu, countless fevers, colds with fevers, strep, throwing up- and the list goes on) it would be HIGHLY irresponsible of me to take her out for fun. The days she missed from being sick and not able to go made me go crazy (because I HATE when she misses ANY days) that taking her out to play just doesn't fly for me.

Also in the younger grades, keep in mind it's MUCH harder for them to stay on track when they're learning so many basic things together as a class, and it honestly puts the whole class behind.  This was a big issue in my daughters first grade class, the teacher actually sent a note home once about it.  When that child comes back, the teacher then has to track backwards and take time out to teach the ones who weren't there before she moves on.

I can understand (and would do- IF my kid weren't so sick the whole winter) taking like... a day.  (i.e. if you're planning on a vacation and want to leave Friday, so you take them out that day).. but I'm really against a week.  We use vacations and summers for that.

• My parents were so laid back when we were kids. We could miss 20 days unexcused growing up and I always explained to my mom that it was my duty to take them... that it would be like someone giving you $100 and you saying no thanks!! My dad also allowed us two "daddy's days" per year, days we could choose to spend the day with him (he worked 3rd shift) without explanation or planning. The best thing was we were always able to convince him that we hadn't taken our 2 yet... he always fell for it.

From a very early age they let us know that it was our job to pass the grade, that if we failed because we didn't do our work or missed too many days we'd be very sorry. My sister always excelled at school and missed very few days, but I was always one that needed to be pushed. I always skimmed by. 

• As long as grades are fine, sure. Everyone wants time off at work when school is out. Can't always get the days you want.

My dad owned his own business. If he didn't open, we didn't make money. So we vacationed in January or February when business was near dead anyway. School complained but oh well. If we went for a week in the summer or at holiday time, we'd have lost enough income that eating all winter would have been a stretch. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • image lexusolsen:
    image amy052006:

image joyfullyfound:

I agree! A student obviously had no say in when their family was going on vacation. However, there are many educational activities that just can't be recreated or done alone on vacation. I can assure you that whatever kids are assigned to take on vacation is not as rigorous or useful as whatever is going on in class.

Here we go...

I missed a month in 4th grade.  Yes, I said a month.  It was the most amazing month for me and those memories are priceless.  I went to my country of origin, met my cousins, embraced my culture and so forth.  I've not had the chance to go back..but I can "assure you" whatever I learned there could not be replicated in a classroom.  It is hands down one of the best experiences of my life.   

ETA:  Yes, I would allow my child to take time out of school if I thought the experience was worthwhile such as the above (but not likely for such an extended time frame).

Please note...as far as Disney is concerned  I don't get it personally. so no I would likely not let her miss school so we can go to Disney.... 

• hocushocus
    Ninth Anniversary 5000 Comments 25 Love Its Combo Breaker

In general no. We will plan vacations for school breaks. And in general I don't know that family vacations are some sort of critical part of people's lives. Yes you can take a mind blowing vacation that is probably profoundly educational however for the most part I don't think that is what most folks are talking about. I am a firm believer that attendance is a huge predictor of success at school in the early years. I also think that is sends a message to your child that school is not important which it is to to both me and DH.

Would I allow my kid to miss for some sort of major life event (a family wedding, funeral)? Yes I would.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image JellyBellyStar:
    image lexusolsen:
    image amy052006:

image joyfullyfound:

Here we go...

I missed a month in 4th grade.  Yes, I said a month.  It was the most amazing month for me and those memories are priceless.  I went to my country of origin, met my cousins, embraced my culture and so forth.  I've not had the chance to go back..but I can "assure you" whatever I learned there could not be replicated in a classroom.  It is hands down one of the best experiences of my life.   

I honestly think if you did that here, you would be held back.

• image CnAmom:
    image joyfullyfound:

No, I live fairly near to joyfully, so I imagine our school districts are similar. There are no such policies. Yes, it falls under absence, but it's relatively common at our elementary school. I have friends who are teachers in the area and they truly are understanding about good reasons (they have no reason to hide their feelings from me) UNLESS it's a child who is already struggling to keep up. Around here, they usually don't give make-up work for elementary school kids. You're expected to have your child keep a journal for writing practice and such, and that's about it...

We don't pull the kids out just because, but DH and I have to travel for business every 1-2 years and because we're self-employed, we're able to take the kids along. We will take them along as much as possible. If we have a child who is barely keeping up, then we'll definitely re-evaluate. DH gets very little holiday time and we're not able to schedule these business/family trip combos around school breaks.

Owen (March 2007), Caleb (July 2009), Eliza (July 2011) and August (September 2013)