February 2013 Moms
Options

All-day trip and w/o baby...what should I do about milk?

This Tuesday I'm training for a summer program and will be away from my baby from 5:30 a.m. until about 8:30 p.m. at the latest. I'm soooooooo dreading not being able to feed! I don't know how breaks will present themelves but plan on trying to pump every 3 hours or so. I'm going to bring my electric and manual pump. I've been praying about this day that everything goes well for me and baby (but especially me!). I don't worry about my LO so much since he'll be with my DH and will be getting pumped milk and formula. I should be home just in time to spend an hour with him and them put him to bed.

My DH thinks that my milk will pretty much have to be thrown away (ahhhh!!) since it's really hard to keep it chilled and impossible to have it frozen. My plan is to freeze three ice packs, put them into my insulated lunch bag and stash the milk bags in there. I think milk can last for 10 hours at room temp. and these bags will be chilled for a good while.

What do you think? Will I be able to save all that precious milk?! I think I'd honestly cry if I had to throw them away after pumping.

I'm going to HAVE to pump or risk leaking all over with the hardest boobs ever.

PLUS, my supply (which I've worked through tears and stress to increase!) might severely dip if I can't get to pump every 2-3 hours. That another thing I'm really praying about.

Thanks!!!

Re: All-day trip and w/o baby...what should I do about milk?

• Options

Yep, it will be fine with ice packs and a cooler bag (get a good one made for bottles or a really well insulated lunch box.)  With a couple of ice packs it can stay cold for about 12 hours!  A lot of people are at work for those hours you mentioned.  ETA:  Make sure you sneak away to pump.  I'd let the presenter know ahead of time if it's a small group.  Also, make sure you don't forget to hydrate that day with lots of water!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

According to kellymom.com, an insulated cooler with ice packs will keep pumped breast milk for about 24 hours, so you will be fine.

Here is the link that I use often for reference:

https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/milkstorage/

Sorry, it's not clicky. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"