Parenting

Organizing your life...

Does anyone have any organizing projects they have done and are proud of? Wanna share?

Anything you know needs to be done but you have been putting off?

For me - I am proud of how organized I have the children's clothes. It has been easy for them and me to keep up. I am also able to keep my kitchen up.

I am most ashamed of our bedroom. It goes from neat to all hell broke loose in days. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Organizing your life...

• I've been on an organizing kick lately. I've done the laundry room, both bathrooms, and A's closet. I'm really pleased with the guest bath. We added a locked cabinet above the toilet for A's medication, shampoo, and a first aid kit, which freed up the area under the sink for my 6 month supply of toilet paper and the bathroom cleaning products.

The bedroom is more or less organized but could use more work. I'd really like to come up with a creative way to store gift wrap. Also, my kitchen is a mess. I'm saving it for last because I'm scared of it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image chardonnay24:

I'd really like to come up with a creative way to store gift wrap.

I saw recently using a kitchen type trash can. I think I can handle that then some of the other fancier set ups. 

I am horrible with gift wrap too.  

• image mbenit4:
    image chardonnay24:

I'd really like to come up with a creative way to store gift wrap.

I saw recently using a kitchen type trash can. I think I can handle that then some of the other fancier set ups. 

I am horrible with gift wrap too.  

I have one of those vertical gift wrap holders and then several large Tupperware containers for bags, ribbon, bows, gift tags, tissue, and boxes. It's insane and takes up about half my walk in closet. I saw an idea on Pinterest for using a hanging pantry organizer, but I'd have to really consolidate everything to make that work.

• I'm slowly working on my whole house because we are moving eventually. Last night I cleaned out the walkin closet in our office and have organized all the shelves with everything I plan to list on eBay. It's all sorted so I can find things easily. Used cloth diapers and maternity clothes are big bucks, man.

I also cleaned and reorganized my girls' room today. I put away five baskets of laundry in there which was really excessive. I refuse to let it build up like that again.

• Last winter I did a total reorg of our kitchen cabinets. I was sick of opening them to a chaotic mess multiple times a day.

I took every single food item out and checked due dates. Tossed a ton of expired stuff. Then I organized like items. Now, all my soups and stocks are together. Beans and pastas and tomato sauces are together. Bread items are together. I have one cabinet that is solely devoted to various snacks for DD, which is helpful since I need to pack a daily daycare lunch. That's where I keep things like graham crackers, Goldfish, Fig Newtons, fruit cups, Chex mix, bags of dehydrated fruit, etc.

It's made a real difference since I access those cabinets multiple times a day. Also makes grocery list making easier since I can quickly see what we have on hand and what we need to buy.

Big Sister ~ Little Brother

• Also, I did the same thing I described above with our hall toiletry closet.

I took out all expired items...old medicines, sunscreens, almost empty containers of lotions that I was not interested in finishing up, etc. I organized the remaining items by category.

First aid items, shampoos, shaving stuff, soaps, lotions, nail care supplies, and then devoted a section entirely to the kids' supplies...toddler and baby medicine, diaper creams, etc.

Big Sister ~ Little Brother

• image eddy321:

The bathrooms are old and gross (clean, but dingy), and we don't have a good system for organizing any of the junk that should be in them.

I just did the bathrooms this weekend. We went to IKEA and got a bunch of stuff - some pretty fabric containers for the visible part of my medicine cabinet and some plain plastic containers for the inside. I was pretty ruthless with throwing away things. Old, expired medicine got tossed. Old cleaning products and health and beauty items got tossed.

It really didn't take very long or cost much money. I'm very pleased with the results.

• I organized the gift wrap a few years ago; bought a hanging gift wrap organizer, which holds most of the rolls of paper with exception of three super heavy Costco rolls which I velcroed together and stand on end. Have two bags of gift bags grouped by size. Tissue paper had been in a disorganized drawer but is now folded and grouped by color in a paper bag.

Sewing area got organized at Spring Break but is back to being a mess again.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • image eddy321:

I am really pleased with the organization systems in the kids' rooms - mostly clothes, blankets, and books.  I know it won't last once they're doing it themselves, but I'm hoping to teach them the system since it's pretty simple.

My kitchen cabinets (as in dish cabinets) are meticulously organized, but the pantries are a disaster.

I'm most ashamed of my bathrooms and my living room.  The bathrooms are old and gross (clean, but dingy), and we don't have a good system for organizing any of the junk that should be in them.  My living room is well organized, but different surfaces collect clutter, and I can't seem to keep up with the piles of paperwork on my desk or the stacks of toys that are out of rotation.

Paper piles are my Achilles heel. I keep telling myself it is not a problem because they are neat piles but they are.

• image CTGirl30:
    Last winter I did a total reorg of our kitchen cabinets. I was sick of opening them to a chaotic mess multiple times a day. I took every single food item out and checked due dates. Tossed a ton of expired stuff. Then I organized like items. Now, all my soups and stocks are together. Beans and pastas and tomato sauces are together. Bread items are together. I have one cabinet that is solely devoted to various snacks for DD, which is helpful since I need to pack a daily daycare lunch. That's where I keep things like graham crackers, Goldfish, Fig Newtons, fruit cups, Chex mix, bags of dehydrated fruit, etc. It's made a real difference since I access those cabinets multiple times a day. Also makes grocery list making easier since I can quickly see what we have on hand and what we need to buy.
    I did this too. I got the idea from the organizing blog I follow. I created a "lunch station" since I make DD's and SO's lunch and it has been great. 

• Oh, I hate that I don't have a linen closet.

• I've also been on an organizing/de-hoarding kick lately.  I purged the entire house before DS arrived and I felt good about it.  Now I feel like there is some clutter so I'm back on a mission.

Yesterday I organized the closet on our main floor.  It had a bunch of stuff in it but was really just a ton of dead space because we had no real shelves in there.  We bought shelves from Container Store and I got everything in order in there.  I literally feel like I can breathe easier.  I just finished my pantry in the kitchen before that so we're on a good track.

My next thing that I'm doing is attacking the kitchen cabinets (again).  I reorganized a few months ago when DS' stuff needed a bigger shelf (sippies, kid spoons/forks, his snacks).  I have two corner cabinets (one is a lazy susan) that need to be purged/re-organized. 

I've been less than awesome at organizing the clothes that DS grows out of.  At first I was trying to fold them and order them by age/size, but ain't nobody got time for that (or at least I don't).  So now I'm just washing them and throwing them in huge bins.  I figure I'll organize it before the next baby gets here.

I just pretend our closet doesn't exist.  It gives me agita.  I seriously wear maybe 30% of the clothes in there.  Some of it I keep for "when I get down to a better weight" but some of it is just destined for the garbage.  I'll get to it before the end of the year... I swear to myself.

tl;dr... I have an organizing obsession.

***Parenting Siggy Challenge***
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    "I love when people believe in conspiracy theories. It immediately tells me I'm smarter than you"- Daniel Tosh.
  • image mbenit4:
    Oh, I hate that I don't have a linen closet.

We have a "linen" closet (I don't own a single linen item so the name is used loosely) and I just cleaned that entire thing out a few weeks ago.  I chucked all the meds/pills/first-aid stuff that was expired, and we were seriously left with a bottle of Pepto and a half bottle of aspirin.  I couldn't believe how old some of that stuff was.  

"I love when people believe in conspiracy theories. It immediately tells me I'm smarter than you"- Daniel Tosh.
  • image mbenit4:
    Paper piles are my Achilles heel. I keep telling myself it is not a problem because they are neat piles but they are.

We have a basket that lives on the floor of the pantry.  I throw out junk mail, shred anything that has personal information (like the eleventy billion credit card applications or goddamn "pay off your credit balance using these checks" that we get) and then anything that needs to be dealt with (usually filed away, like IRA/401k statements, insurance info, etc.) goes into that basket.  Typically every other Sunday DH and I go through it, file away the important documents, and just deal with the rest.

• image HilarityEnsued:

I've been less than awesome at organizing the clothes that DS grows out of.  At first I was trying to fold them and order them by age/size, but ain't nobody got time for that (or at least I don't).  So now I'm just washing them and throwing them in huge bins.  I figure I'll organize it before the next baby gets here.

I just pretend our closet doesn't exist.  It gives me agita.  I seriously wear maybe 30% of the clothes in there.  Some of it I keep for "when I get down to a better weight" but some of it is just destined for the garbage.  I'll get to it before the end of the year... I swear to myself.

I wasn't good at the clothes thing either. I had to though because SO would act like he didn't know what size DS wore and then he would be in a too little shirt or something. Anyway, I put a large trash bag in his closet and as he grew out of clothes I would wash them and then drop them in there when I was putting away clothes.

Except mine were going to Goodwill.

Our closet is bad too. We have things in there we haven't worn in 3+ years. Who are we kidding? Seems like anything in our room is always at the bottom of the list.

• image HilarityEnsued:

image mbenit4:
    Oh, I hate that I don't have a linen closet.

We have a "linen" closet (I don't own a single linen item so the name is used loosely) and I just cleaned that entire thing out a few weeks ago.  I chucked all the meds/pills/first-aid stuff that was expired, and we were seriously left with a bottle of Pepto and a half bottle of aspirin.  I couldn't believe how old some of that stuff was.  

I moved all our medicines to a kitchen cabinet. I have 2 bins. Adult meds and children's meds. It has been helpful since we are usually in there when giving meds.

• image MollusksWrangler:
    The only time I have that's "spare" I'm pumping and it's not exactly feasible to pump and clean at the same time. I usually use pumping time to fold laundry, stuff diapers and bump/FB, do flash cards and games with Molly.
    I think having twins trumps organizing. I wish I could come over there and you can tell me what you want done.

You can sit there with your feet up eating bon bons or whatever it is you do while I'll take direction.

• I love organizing, when I have the time for it.

Our "linen closet" has those weird wire shelves, which everything falls through or gets stuck in.  So I got a ton of bins and sorted through all of the bathroom stuff.  There's a bin for first aid, hair stuff, travel size items, lotions and bodywashes... Then I have my stockpile in the bottom of that closet.  I'm super proud of my stockpile.

The kitchen cabinets all got bins, too.  And my pantry cabinets are now sorted by food items.  Since we're in a crazy small kitchen without an actual pantry, I got a set of plastic drawers to sit next to the cabinet that hold some extras.  One drawer is dry snacks for SD, one is ziploc bags/plastic wrap/aluminum foil, and one is drink mixes (we're Kool-Aid freaks).

The bookshelves are next.  We have so many books, and we buy new ones all the time at garage sales/thrift stores/library sales.  Plus we all get books as gifts for most occasions.  I think we just need one room as a dedicated library, with built-in shelving all the way around.  That's my dream, anyway.

Bonus Mom to the Bean: June '06
  • I'm a serial purger. I have two hard and fast rules about storage: nothing in the garage (except cars and tools) and nothing in the attic. We don't have basements here. When I find I don't have room for something, it's time to purge.

My whole house is organized except the office. It's a freaking disaster. 

H.P. Rubblestone 11.02.12
    image mbenit4:

image MollusksWrangler:
    The only time I have that's "spare" I'm pumping and it's not exactly feasible to pump and clean at the same time. I usually use pumping time to fold laundry, stuff diapers and bump/FB, do flash cards and games with Molly.
    I think having twins trumps organizing. I wish I could come over there and you can tell me what you want done.

You can sit there with your feet up eating bon bons or whatever it is you do while I'll take direction.

Lol I wish! I just hate having it so disorganized. Our kitchen is so small and I need a better system for it. I've moved a lot in my life and I've never had everything unpacked and organized. We will be here for a couple years at least. Every weekend we say THIS weekend we will do xy and z. Instead the kids lay down and we collapse and promise ourselves that we will just rest for 10 minutes and then someone wakes up or paints their crib with poop.
    We are moving again so I will have to reorganize a kitchen again. Just when I thought I had it together.

• image kiraliz2:

I'm a serial purger. I have two hard and fast rules about storage: nothing in the garage (except cars and tools) and nothing in the attic. We don't have basements here. When I find I don't have room for something, it's time to purge.

I couldn't live without being able to put things in the attic.  That is where we keep the luggage and all of the Christmas stuff, plus some stuff that we want to save (t-shirts from high school, our "sentimental" box) and I would go nuts if I had to see that stuff all year.

• image HilarityEnsued:
    image kiraliz2:

I'm a serial purger. I have two hard and fast rules about storage: nothing in the garage (except cars and tools) and nothing in the attic. We don't have basements here. When I find I don't have room for something, it's time to purge.

I couldn't live without being able to put things in the attic.  That is where we keep the luggage and all of the Christmas stuff, plus some stuff that we want to save (t-shirts from high school, our "sentimental" box) and I would go nuts if I had to see that stuff all year.

I just purged my tshirts from high school. I had been lugging it around. What did I really plan on doing with them? I don't know. I closed my eyes and tossed them.

• image mbenit4:
    image HilarityEnsued:
    image kiraliz2:

I just purged my tshirts from high school. I had been lugging it around. What did I really plan on doing with them? I don't know. I closed my eyes and tossed them.

I just remember going through that box in my attic growing up, and pulling some of my parents' shirts out and wearing them.  I loved it.  I want to let my kids do that too.  In fairness, it's seriously one plastic tub.  I've purged a lot of it.

• image HilarityEnsued:
    image kiraliz2:

I have all that stuff in a closets. Luggage in one of the guest closets and I don't have much xmas stuff, but it's in the office closet. I don't see it unless I go looking for it.

I just cannot stand "stuff". It's a quirk of mine.

H.P. Rubblestone 11.02.12
  • I've been backing up my important digital files on Dropbox. Free and simple for peace of mind.
    "To me, you are perfect."

• I've got a huge project in front of me.

We moved from a small apartment with no storage to a small townhouse with a basement. Half the basement will be a playroom, with a little fort or hideout under the stairs. The other half will be storage and bikes and strollers.

Our goal is no clutter or crowded closets in the living space and an organized storage system.

image image
  • image RondackHiker:
    Our goal is no clutter or crowded closets in the living space and an organized storage system.

This is a dream of mine.

• image kiraliz2:

I just cannot stand "stuff". It's a quirk of mine.

Me either.  I have the opposite of a hoarding problem.  With few exceptions, if I haven't touched it in 6 months, I'm throwing it out.  I HATE clutter and regularly just purge the house of nonsense.

• I recently organized our hall closet.  It looks amazing.  Previously, it was awful awful.

I'd say the most disorganized area of our home is the garage,  but in fairness,  that's DH's territory and he works and goes to school full-time.  Plus, it's a 1-car garage.   Can't wait to move into our new house with a 2-car garage next month!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers natural miscarriages- 12/18/07 & 2/18/13 (AKA:KRISTA555)
    I do need containers for our dry goods. I found bugs in our cornmeal this weekend. Any suggestions? I have a Tupperware for the flour but it was more than I wanted to pay.

Container Store (you'd think I have stock in that place with how much I pimp them out) has amazing storage options for all kinds of pantry stuff.

Or you could get that cheaper reusable tupperware from the grocery store.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards