Breastfeeding

MSPI moms

I have been suspecting my baby has a milk protein intolerance or sensitivity to milk since she was born. She had green mucusy poops and I cut way down on dairy and the green went away but still has mucus. I know I need to cut milk out completely. For a few days now she has been really congested. I took her to the doctor and said she doesn't have a cold. She has a cough but I think it is because of the congestion. I've tried saline and a bulb syringe and I can't get anything out. I believe this may be related. Can a baby be tested for a milk allergy?
Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: MSPI moms

• They can be tested for a milk allergy, but not for a milk intolerance. The symptoms you mention are of a milk intolerance and the only real way to diagnose it would be to cut out dairy completely and see if the symptoms resolve. Since you noticed an improvement limiting dairy I'd cut it completely and see if that makes everything go away. Just know it can take up to 8 weeks for everything to clear both yours and your daughter's systems. I've been on the diet since August and it was tough at first but now I'm so used to it it's not really difficult anymore. And on the plus side I'm down 20 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight.

If you need some guidance check out godairyfree.org or mspimama.com

• image staceyb76:
    They can be tested for a milk allergy, but not for a milk intolerance. The symptoms you mention are of a milk intolerance and the only real way to diagnose it would be to cut out dairy completely and see if the symptoms resolve. Since you noticed an improvement limiting dairy I'd cut it completely and see if that makes everything go away. Just know it can take up to 8 weeks for everything to clear both yours and your daughter's systems. I've been on the diet since August and it was tough at first but now I'm so used to it it's not really difficult anymore. And on the plus side I'm down 20 lbs from my prepregnancy weight.If you need some guidance check out godairyfree.org or mspimama.com

Ok great thanks for the links! Is congestion a symptom of intolerance?
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I know it can be a symptom of reflux. Once I quit all dairy, LO's reflux went away.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

imageimageimage
  • Yes it can be. Be sure to check labels for hidden dairy, it can be in things you wouldn't think of, like breads, but also might not be in things you would assume contain milk, like oreos for example. Most people will see an improvement in a couple of weeks and all symptoms should be gone in 8 weeks, assuming you are indeed dealing with a dairy intolerance. Good luck!