Baby Names
Options

Friends baby

A food friend of mine just found out she is having a girl in November. They've decided to name her Madeline, pronounced line and not lynn. I know it's going to get mispronounced like crazy, but I love it.
imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker      

Re: Friends baby

• Options
    I always say lynn too, and I wanted our baby to have Madeline as her middle name, but that was scratched with DH said it was pronounced Line. 
  • Options
    My friend had a Madeline. She says it always gets pronounced Madelyn but she loves the name so it's just one of those things she knew she would have to deal with.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I always say Madeline with the ending "line" so I think they got it right.

Madeleine and Madelyn are pronounced with the lynn ending.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    +ASH++ASH+ member
    It's one of those names I always want to pronounce MadeLINE (Madelyn is what I consider the correct spelling for that pronunciation)  - line is not a Lynn pronunciation to me, so it's a name that bugs me.
    DS1 - 9; DS2 - 6; Angel - May 10, 2011; Baby Girl - Due May 19, 2013
  • Options
    I like it pronounced "line." It makes me think of the story book.
  • Options
    I love that name. It was actually on our list along with the Madalyn. In my head I pronounce it "line" which is why Madalyn was also considered since I love both.
    July 13 Siggy Challenge December'14: Christmas/Holiday Movie
    Bonus: Ugly Sweater

photo 89022d03-637e-4c13-aa0a-686e2c5d2bd8_zps58cec4a3.png
    Anniversary
  • Options

imagehoneysuckle2012:
    I like it pronounced "line." It makes me think of the story book.

Me, too! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I pronounce it 'line' as well.
  • Options
    I was in the same situation a few weeks ago before my daughter Madeline was born, was set on Madalynn until I did my own research
    Madeline is mostly pronounced Lynn..with the correct pronunciation "Len" e on the end is silent
    Madeline and Madeleine are considered the correct spellings ..either way it's a beautiful name.. Just the correct spelling was important to me :
  • Options
    imageBlondangel:

I always say Madeline with the ending "line" so I think they got it right.

Madeleine and Madelyn are pronounced with the lynn ending.

this.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Madelyn = MAD uh Lynn

Madeline = Mad uh line

Madeleine = Mad uh lan

Madeleine is the French pronunciation. It was the name I went by in French class in high school.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I would pronounce it "line." I think of the book and movie if the same name with the pronunciation. I do have a cousin named Madeline that pronounces it with "Lyn" though. Most of us just call her Maddie.
  • Options
    The"line" pronunciation started from the storybook series which is incorrect pronunciation... Lin is pronounced lyn with "e" silent for Madeline. But then if they like the "line"pronunciation those that are familiar with the book can relate. Everybody has their own opinions, I would suggest your friends research the spellings.. That's what I did!! Sometimes what they majority may think is not correct!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"