Working Moms

Any LE moms?

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting to this board so hello! I was curious if anyone here works in law enforcement? I saw a post about this from a few years ago but nothing recent.

I am returning to work next week after 4 months of leave and am definitely having similar emotions to what I've read other newly returning to work moms are experiencing :[ I was wondering if anyone who works in LE [or any other type of job with similar obstacles] has any words of wisdom [or even just encouragement haha] for me?

I EBF right now and am concerned about finding time to pump, especially because I am out in the field so much at random times and never have the same schedule, plus I deal with nasty evidence and unhygienic people a lot and am anticipating becoming even more obsessive than I am now about decontaminating myself every time I pump not to mention before I come home to LO. I am also dreading going to the range to qualify because I know how gross I am after shooting all day plus it will be hard to take breaks to pump and clean myself up beforehand.

I know other folks may have similar situations even if not in LE [like maybe those in the medical field?], I guess I'm looking for success stories/ways you've made things work? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Re: Any LE moms?

• Hi!  I'm Federal LE but can't offer any advice yet, since I'm also going back to work next week after 3.5 months off.  My first 4 days are at the range, which is just a big sand pit.  I called and talked to my range supervisor, and he said that the day will be split into 2 parts, first at the range and then back at our building's mat room for DT.  He said that since I live near the range, DH could bring DS for me to feed if I didn't want to pump at the range, and then could run home at lunch before coming back for the mat room portion.  But I think I'm going to try to push through the first part, come home and pump, and then go back to work.  That way I can wash up.  Otherwise, I was thinking about getting some Gojo hand cleaner and hand wipes if I was going to pump in my car covered by my Hooter Hider at the range.  And at work, we do have a pumping room, but I dread all of the undressing; the vest, the uniform shirt...lol.   

I spend most of my regular days at an office until I get called to inspect a freight train.  The train schedule is never the same and I only get a half hour notice before hand, so it's going to be an interesting schedule. I occasionally work away from the train office, so that means I'm around some pretty gross people. I'm already in the habit of changing my clothes and washing my hands as soon as I'm home, but I know what you mean about adding that to being around your LO and wanting to keep germs away.

I'm feeling all of the emotions of leaving my LO for the first time like you said, but adding all of the other obstacles just seems to make it that much worse.  DH and I have been doing practice bottle feedings during the day while I pump, and I've been making lists of things I need to do before Monday, like making sure the uniform fits:)   So although I can't offer any great tips, I wish you luck next week when you go back to work. 

image                              image                                  

December PAL Siggy Challenge;

Meanwhile, In Canada 

• Can't help with the vest issue but my pump bag contains medela wipes, antibacterial wipes and extra stuff. I pump in my car in the field. Get the freezer packs and extra pump parts so u don't have to wash when in th field. I put mine in a grocery bag and wash when I get home. Also if you work crazy hours or may be gone longer some days I bring lanisoh bags as a backup storage if I'm late headers home. I also pump while driving sometimes. The truckers must wonder why I looks so weird and what the hell I'm doing. Hands free bra works great. 
  • image jroth33470:
    Can't help with the vest issue but my pump bag contains medela wipes, antibacterial wipes and extra stuff. I pump in my car in the field. Get the freezer packs and extra pump parts so u don't have to wash when in th field. I put mine in a grocery bag and wash when I get home. Also if you work crazy hours or may be gone longer some days I bring lanisoh bags as a backup storage if I'm late headers home. I also pump while driving sometimes. The truckers must wonder why I looks so weird and what the hell I'm doing. Hands free bra works great.nbsp;

Mind if I ask what kind of work you do? I wear a bullet proof vest and would never be able to pump in my car like that.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Milkergirl... Good luck to you too this week! At least it is small consolation to know that we are not alone.

I'm not sure how successful I will be with mobile pumping due to my ever changing schedule and the times when I have to wear my gear, but I ordered a car charger for my pump today just in case. I don't always have to wear a vest but the thought of that thing squishing my boobs is making me cringe.

I know this is ridiculous but I wish BF/pumping was a valid reason for some type of modified duty... I know it is not the same excuse as being pregnant, but some of the things we deal with just aren't conducive to ideal conditions for pumping or milk storage.
  • I'm not LE, but we have a lot of LE friends since my brother was LE and my husband represents LE unions. I know 2 Le women who pumped a year
    First I'd talk to your union rep to see if your mou has any accomdations, a lot do. If that fails talk to your sgt.
    The women I knew who were successful got modifications so they could pump at the station , heading out a few mins later than the rest of the shift and coming back a few minutes earlier. And then getting creative mid shift. Like pumping in her car at the jail or another secure area since they weren't allowed to take the vests off
  • image PrivacyWanted:
    I'm not LE, but we have a lot of LE friends since my brother was LE and my husband represents LE unions. I know 2 Le women who pumped a year First I'd talk to your union rep to see if your mou has any accomdations, a lot do. If that fails talk to your sgt. The women I knew who were successful got modifications so they could pump at the station , heading out a few mins later than the rest of the shift and coming back a few minutes earlier. And then getting creative mid shift. Like pumping in her car at the jail or another secure area since they weren't allowed to take the vests off

Dovetailing on this-could you maybe do a rotation in investigations/narcotics doing some of the desk work? Maybe be an SRO? My husband is in LE and I asked him what the new moms did and he said he did not know but that they probably worked the jail. I agree to talk to the rep about your MOU. Are there any other women you can talk to about their experiences?

Good luck!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • image caladpi02:

image PrivacyWanted:
    I'm not LE, but we have a lot of LE friends since my brother was LE and my husband represents LE unions. I know 2 Le women who pumped a year First I'd talk to your union rep to see if your mou has any accomdations, a lot do. If that fails talk to your sgt. The women I knew who were successful got modifications so they could pump at the station , heading out a few mins later than the rest of the shift and coming back a few minutes earlier. And then getting creative mid shift. Like pumping in her car at the jail or another secure area since they weren't allowed to take the vests off

Dovetailing on this-could you maybe do a rotation in investigations/narcotics doing some of the desk work? Maybe be an SRO? My husband is in LE and I asked him what the new moms did and he said he did not know but that they probably worked the jail. I agree to talk to the rep about your MOU. Are there any other women you can talk to about their experiences?

Good luck!

I'm not LEO, but DH is. Doing like something the posters above mentioned is the only way I can imagine it working. I would never discourage someone from BF'ing but if you're a patrol officer, I just can't imagine any way that would work without going modified duty or transferring to a desk/detective job.  Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards