C-sections

Umbilical Hernia repaired during C Section?

OK Wednesday I woke up with pain in my belly button. I went to the Dr. and he told me I might have a hernia and said to take a warm bath for pain and if it got worse call them. 2 hours later I was in so much pain I was crying just walking slowly. I called the Dr. and was told to Labor and Delivery. Get to L&D and they start checking the baby to make sure he is ok and when the Dr. comes in she says it is definitely a hernia and pushes it back in. Tells me it is an Umbilical hernia and shows me how to push it back in myself. The next morning my Dr calls and tells me that he wants me to see a surgeon in case I have to have an emergency operation if the hernia gets stuck and mentions that they will repair the hernia during childbirth, meaning a C section. I was planning on having a spontaneous natural birth so I am understandably upset. Everything I have read on Umbilical hernia's says that you can have a normal vaginal delivery and that it actually ma be better to repair the hernia after the baby is born and my uterus has gone back down. Please somebody that has had this let me know their experience and if they where able to deliver vaginally or how their repair of the hernia during a c section went. BTW I will be 30 weeks pregnant tomorrow. Thank you in advance I really need some help.

Re: Umbilical Hernia repaired during C Section?

• My OB apologized that he couldn't repair mine during my planned c-section. He said I would have to do it later.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageCougFan:
    My OB apologized that he couldn't repair mine during my planned csection. He said I would have to do it later.

Thank you for letting me know your experience.
  • Loading the player...
  • Lex703Lex703 member
    imageCougFan:
    My OB apologized that he couldn't repair mine during my planned csection. He said I would have to do it later.

Mine said something similar to this as well.
  • Where you having the planned c section due to the hernia? Where you told having a vaginal birth was not recommended due to the hernia?
  • I think you need a lot more info from your doctor. I have/had an umbilical hernia since my first pregnancy but my OB recommended doing nothing...and it doesn't bother me now although there is still a bump. She said when I was totally done having kids we should talk about it again, unless it was causing any problems. It was very sore for awhile in my second pregnancy but really didn't cause any problems at all during my third pregnancy.

ETA: I had vaginal births for the first two. The 3rd was a scheduled c-section for a breech baby. The umbilical hernia never played into things at all. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Thanks that makes me feel better. I talk to my ob and a surgeon tomorrow so I will know what they have to say.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"