Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Eyepatch therapy for lazy eye?

LO was just prescribed eyepatch therapy to correct lazy eye.  He has to wear an adhesive patch over alternating eyes each morning for three hours, for a minimum of ten weeks, at which point, we may be done with the therapy, he may need more weeks of patch therapy, or he may need surgery if the doctor thinks it's not working at all.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I am worried about the emotional impact of this therapy; I've already read some things that state this process is very upsetting and confusing for the child.  We're supposed to start this weekend.  I was thinking that I would wear a patch, too, for the same amount of time, so that he sees that I'm doing it too and so that I can understand what he's going through.  Any experienced perspective with this? 
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Eyepatch therapy for lazy eye?

• fryratfryrat member

Upsetting and confusing only relates to the "hey, i can't see" aspect of it. You can do it too, if you want, but when my cousin had her therapy, it was only the first couple of times, then she got used to the routine, like anything else. It really depends on how your kiddo takes to things changing. If you have to brush your teeth with him to get him to brush, then maybe you will have to put a patch on, but check with the doc, you don't want to damage your vision!

I have not seen any ego/self esteem issues with this, it's usually with older kids when they are in school and kids don't have their filters for nice/not nice.

For my little man...I only knew you in my heart. D&C 3/1/11 EDD 9/8/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ilanatilanat member
    Thanks for your perspective.  It's helpful to know.  We start tomorrow morning. 

• Loading the player...
  • based on personal experience, all I can say is buck up and do it. You and your lo will get past this. If you don't correct it now it really could affect his future. Its not easy, lo may fight you. But I can not stress enough how important it is to correct it now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Also, they make some pretty kick patches! Let him pick out his own. Play pirates.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ilanatilanat member
    Thanks lynelise04. You're right and I know it's mandatory for his eyesight.  We will do it.  The doctor gave us cute patches. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"