Baby Showers

Bring a Book Instead of a...Polite Way to Decline Hostess' "Great" Idea

I have three dear friends who are throwing my baby shower.  The shower itself is still a ways off (in the early, early planning stages currently), but I just found out, in passing, that they are seriously considering this "great idea" one saw on Pinterest:  bring a baby book in lieu of a card.  

For reasons I know need not be explained this makes me very, very uncomfortable (I've side-eyed similar invites in the past, and I'm uncomfortable thinking my own shower might incite a similar reaction).  

My question for you lovely ladies is how do I tactfully express this to the hostesses without accidentally implying they are tacky?   If I just need to butt out as the guest of honor, I can do that too, I just thought/hoped that since plans were in the early stages I might be able to side-step this one.  Thank you in advance!

DS1: Nov. 2013
DS2: Jan. 2016
DS3: Dec. 2017
Baby #4 on the way!

Re: Bring a Book Instead of a...Polite Way to Decline Hostess' "Great" Idea

• "That's so thoughtful of you to think of baby's library! I'm just worried that people might feel obligated to buy a book. I'd really love to have one special keepsake book that everyone signs. How about I provide a copy of Goodnight Moon?"
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Natural miscarriage @ 5w2d 5/25/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I went to a shower where they provided note cards and we wrote down our favorite books and gave the titles to the mother to be. It was kind of cheesy, but gave her good ideas for books to purchase.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you all for the feedback.  Of course, reading it now it seems so obvious (I really love the idea of one book as a guestbook!). I think I was just so blindsided by the whole thing that my brain just got stuck on the do-not-want aspect of it all.  Anyway, thanks again, I really appreciate the advice/perspective! :)
    DS1: Nov. 2013
    DS2: Jan. 2016
    DS3: Dec. 2017
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • I would try the polite but direct route, however, if you don't feel comfortable doing that I would maybe mention something about how you found some adorable thank you cards off the internet that you just love and can't wait to use, oh but darn they won't be in till a few days after the shower. 
  • eav2ceav2c member
    Just be honest. Let them know your not totally comfortable with it and that you think it's a sweet idea but you don't want to require it of guests.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • LuCloLuClo member
    I just had this conversation with my sister on Tuesday.  She's young, not on top of etiquette, and excited that she came across this "great idea".  I told her I loved the thought, but was worried that it would seem like people were being told they had to and that would be rude.  It was a lightbulb moment for her.  So she's going to mull it over.  It may still end up no the invites, it may not.  That part is out of my control, but at least I let her know.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • mmm50mmm50 member
    I agree with PP but would also maybe say that you already have tons of books (even if it is a fib) but you will register for some that you still need (if you even want books).  I would suggest to the hostesses that may be a better route so you don't have 10 of the same book that are written in so you can't return them.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"