February 2013 Moms

This maybe a stupid question..

Hi everyone, 

I haven't been on here in a while, and when I do I usually don't post unless I have a question. Well this one might sound stupid, but has anyone read about EMFs and crib mattresses? I was just wondering because my DH was playing with his EMF detector (he can be a geek sometimes :p) and our LO's crib mattress read off the charts. We were actually going to start trying to get him to sleep in it this weekend, but now my DH says not until we get a new mattress because it's not good for him. I am okay with this because we've been co-sleeping since we came home from the hospital and I would miss my Lil man.

So is it bad? Has anyone read about it, or heard about it?

TIA 

Johna and Justin Married since 2011
                 Baby Jasper born 2.23.13 8lbs 15 oz. 

Re: This maybe a stupid question..

• So it is driving me insane, my huge typo... This may be a stupid question***
  • Is it an innerspring mattress? I've typically heard of emf's in an innerspring mattress due to the metal springs.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • yes it is.  I'm just kind of blown away I never thought about a mattress giving off EMFs. 

• https://ecodynamiclivingsolutions.com/sleep-without-metal/

From what I've seen in passing (truthfully haven't given it much thought) a new mattress should not magnetize in the timeframe baby will be using it.

"Metal bed frames can increase one's electric exposure if they come in close contact with electrical wiring. According to Building Biology guidelines, some mattresses with coil springs in them can alter Static Magnetic Fields (DC), as detectable with a compass. They might also re-radiate wireless radiation. Make sure to position beds away from electrical cables hidden behind the wall and below the floor. Distance from ethernet cables and phone cables should be considered in addition to regular power cables, since they sometimes carry intermediate frequencies and voltage.

Some distance can be gained with a wooden non-metallic bed frame and non-coil mattress. For chemical safety, choose wood with nontoxic varnishes/finishing, such as unfinished wood. Additionally, be wary of flame retardant chemicals such as BPDE's used in mattresses to meet recent flammability laws set for mattresses. An organic futon mattress (without flame-retardant chemicals), Tempurapedic mattress, or other metal-free mattresses made from natural materials, is recommended. Wool is said to have some natural flame-retardant properties"

Granted, all that applies to standard beds, not cribs, but stands to reason the same might be said about reducing risk in a crib.

You could look into Naturepedic brand, the bits and pieces I've seen about EMF relating to babies it's a brand that comes up often.

Pregnancy Ticker image
  • Okay, Thank you, I am going to look into it. Because my DH went on for about half an hour about what high EMFs can do if you are around them a lot.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"