Trying to Get Pregnant

PreBaby Reading

Many of you are probably like me and have been reading up on several books regarding fertility, pregnancy, and infants. If you have, what books have you read and what would you recommend [other than TCOYF of course!]?

Also, there are at least two different theories regarding infant parenting that I've read; Dr. Sears's cosleeping and ondemand feeding, versus Baby Wise's parent directed feeding. Have you researched these, and what are your thoughts and opinions?

Re: PreBaby Reading

• Have yet to read a parenting book. Don't really intend on reading any either.

Oh, and fuvck Baby Wise for a newborn. Denying food to a hungry infant is child abuse.

"People seem to couple an inordinate amount of stupidity with extreme laziness." ~ A wise interwebz friend.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Htle07Htle07
    100 Love Its 100 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I have the book What to Expect When You're Expecting. Haven't started reading it yet. Maybe I will when I actually am expecting.
  • image GhostMonkey:

Have yet to read a parenting book. Don't really intend on reading any either.

Oh, and fuvck Baby Wise for a newborn. Denying food to a hungry infant is child abuse.

Well that made me feel better. I was starting to feel weird about not reading baby or parenting books yet.

12/11: Lap surgery; Dx: Stage 2 Endo
    12/13: DH's SA, HSG, Hysterosonogram, CD3 and 7DPO blood work: Excellent!
    1/14: MOAR surgery!: NEW Dx: Stage 3 Endo/Kissing Ovaries. Let IF treatment begin!
    2/23/14: BFP!!! 

Lilypie - (VsHE)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I read a sleep training book, a how to make your own baby food book, a fearless parenting book, a creativity encouraging book, and a stories from motherhood book. They were all freebies from amazon for my kindle and were pretty light and easy reads. I really like the fearless parenting one because it gives real life examples of how to teach your children instead of doing things for them...which is more of the parenting style I think I'm planning to use. 
    imageimageimage
    Me: 28 DH: 33 TTC #1 Since 12/12 Follow Me on Pinterest
    Dx: infertility of unspecified origin - SA 10/29/13 (normal) - HSG 11/18/13 (tubes clear)
    IUI #1 - 1/22/14 - BFP!!! EDD 10/15/14 - It's a BOY!
  • I bought The Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy.  Other than that I haven't really bought anything and I only read the ttc chapters of that book so far.  I don't want to get so wrapped up in this process that I drive everyone else in my life crazy and reading all that stuff would have it on my mind even more.  I'll buy more books later if I feel so inclined but I'm not going to go ape when I have no reason to yet.

ETA: I'm open to suggestions if this thread has anything life altering that I just have to read. 

Lilypie - (dlNi)
  • image lindscfa:
    I read a sleep training book, a how to make your own baby food book, a fearless parenting book, a creativity encouraging book, and a stories from motherhood book. They were all freebies from amazon for my kindle and were pretty light and easy reads. I really like the fearless parenting one because it gives real life examples of how to teach your children instead of doing things for them...which is more of the parenting style I think I'm planning to use. 

Put food in blender, blend, transfer to bowl, transfer to baby mouth. That requires a book?

"People seem to couple an inordinate amount of stupidity with extreme laziness." ~ A wise interwebz friend.

• Aside from the FF tutorials, I haven't read anything. The only thing I might read, if and when I get pregnant, is a book that tells me when the normal baby milestones happen because I honestly have no idea when they should walk, talk, etc.
    /thread
    image imageView Full Size Image
    TTGP September Challenge: Teenage Crush -- Ryan Phillippe

Still one of your resident proudly God-hating, gay-loving, abortion-approving, liberal feminist boneheads. 

• image GhostMonkey:

image lindscfa:
    I read a sleep training book, a how to make your own baby food book, a fearless parenting book, a creativity encouraging book, and a stories from motherhood book. They were all freebies from amazon for my kindle and were pretty light and easy reads. I really like the fearless parenting one because it gives real life examples of how to teach your children instead of doing things for them...which is more of the parenting style I think I'm planning to use. 

Put food in blender, blend, transfer to bowl, transfer to baby mouth. That requires a book?

it was a lot of different recipes, how to make more than 1 serving at a time, and how to safely store it in portions. It wasn't anything spectacular, but I'd probably refer back to it for the different recipes.  

imageimageimage
    Dx: infertility of unspecified origin - SA 10/29/13 (normal) - HSG 11/18/13 (tubes clear)
  • I have several books on pregnancy, but I don't plan on reading them until I'm pregnant. I'll also probably read a book on the Bradly Method with DH, since we're interested in it, but again, not until I'm pregnant. I found a copy of What to Expect Before You're Expecting, but I've only browsed through it.
    Tyler& Amanda 7.7.07
  • image GhostMonkey:
    Have yet to read a parenting book. Don't really intend on reading any either. Oh, and fuvck Baby Wise for a newborn. Denying food to a hungry infant is child abuse.nbsp;

Yup. DD is 13 months and I never read anything before she was born. But I'll admit my sister sent me that DVD of the 5 Ss and they actually worked. But it was kind of common sense stuff that I hadn't thought about because having a colicky newborn frazzled my mind.

I agree about Baby Wise. Only ondemand feeding for us.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In terms of infant care I would suggest looking into RIE or anything by Magda Gerber.  We use it in the infant and toddler rooms where I work and I know I'll use it when raising my future kids. I really like the principles behind RIE- though I realize it's not for everyone.    

www.rie.org 

names    chart    blog
    BFP 6/10/14 - EDD 2/20/15 - MC 7/17/14
  • I've read the first 3 chapters of "What to Expect When You're Expecting" and "Show Dad How" that I ordered off of Think Geek for DH.
    September TTGP Siggy Challenge: Teenage Crush - Legolas (LOTR)
    image.
    Married: 7/30/2011 - TTC #1 since June 2013 - Met with RE 6/24/14
    Me: Initial ultrasound: normal. CD 3 bloodwork: normal. HSG: Normal.
    DH: SA = Average motility, Good count.
    DX: Unexplained, possible Endo.
    September 2014 - Cycle 15: Letrozole with TI = ?
    TTGP 2013 Award: Most Supportive
    image. image..
    Everyone Welcome
    New to TTGP? Read this

• The only sort of parenting book I've started is Bringing Up Bebe. I'm not really reading it for parenting purposes. I just find it interesting.
    Me(33): Dx PCOS w/IR 4/2008, stopped meds 11/2008 DH(34): low volume(#'s good), low T
    Back to RE in 4/2013 to get back on meds. PCOS confirmed, elevated DHEAs, low progesterone
    SHG 5/10/13: both tubes blocked; HSG 6/28 = Left tube cleared! Right blocked.
    BFP#1 7/20/13 EDD 3/30/14, m/c 8/19/13, D&E 8/21/13, Chromosomal results = normal, female
    Lap & hysteroscopy scheduled for 10/31, right tube cleared, no endo found! ...Happy Halloween!
    Cycle 14: Clomid 50mg + Ovidrel + IUI = BFP! EDD 9/16/14~ Rowan Elizabeth, born sleeping at 17w4d on 4/12/14 due to IC.
    ~There is no foot too small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world~
    New RE June 2014. RPL b/w - negative. SIS looking for uterine/cervical abnormalities & Asherman's 6/10/14 - ALL CLEAR! No signs of scar tissue! 
    Cycle 16: Natural IUI, HCG trigger = CP
    Cycle 17: Femara (2.5mg) + HCG + IUI = BFN
    Cycle 18 Femara (5mg) + HCG + IUI = BFFN
    Break cycle
    imageimageimage
  • image lindscfa:
    image GhostMonkey:

image lindscfa:

it was a lot of different recipes, how to make more than 1 serving at a time, and how to safely store it in portions. It wasn't anything spectacular, but I'd probably refer back to it for the different recipes.  

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/

• image bunnyfungo:
    image GhostMonkey:
    Have yet to read a parenting book. Don't really intend on reading any either. Oh, and fuvck Baby Wise for a newborn. Denying food to a hungry infant is child abuse.nbsp;
    Yup. DD is 13 months and I never read anything before she was born. But I'll admit my sister sent me that DVD of the 5 Ss and they actually worked. But it was kind of common sense stuff that I hadn't thought about because having a colicky newborn frazzled my mind. I agree about Baby Wise. Only ondemand feeding for us.

The 5 S's are magic. They went over those in our infant care class. 

And by all means, if you want to read 500 books, knock yourself out. We have been pretty fortunate that our go-to method of parenting (whatever the hell that is) has worked well for us and j. That doesn't always happen, and it's not anyone's fault. Sometimes you need outside inspiration on different approaches.

• image Clarinet35:
    Many of you are probably like me and have been reading up on several books reg fertility, pregnancy, and infants. If you have, what books have you read and what would you recommend [other than TCOYF of course!]? Also, there are at least two different theories regarding infant parenting that I've read; Dr. Sears's cosleeping and ondemand feeding, versus Baby Wise's parent directed feeding. Have you researched these, and what are your thoughts and opinions?

When I was 34 weeks pregnant with my LO I was hospitalized with pre-e. I knew the baby would probably come a little early but I was not ready and had read no parenting books. I panicked and ordered a variety of books off of Amazon.

What a waste of money. Several of the books left me shaking my head. They are mostly other people's opinions backed by anecdotal evidence. Some of it just seemed made up.

Me: 37--Thyroid Cancer survivor. H:38. DS born 6/22/2011; BFP#2--11/5/12--Missed miscarriage discovered 12/21/2012.  BFP#3--5/20/14--another MMC 6/16/14.
  • I figure, when I get pregnant, I'll read a pregnancy book.  When I have a kid, I might read a parenting book.  Right now I have to many gardening/decorating/fun books to read :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    New here? Check out the TTGP blog!

• Oy, I haven't made it past books about trying to get pregnant. I probably won't read up on parenting until I'm actually pregnant. 
    ~~~~~~~ pregnancy/loss mentioned ~~~~~~~

TTC #1 since 5/12
    Me: 32 DH: 31 - Married 4/12
    BFP#1 6/12 - ectopic treated with mtx; benched 5 months
    HSG 12/12 - all clear!
    BFP#2 4/13 - c/p; BFP#3 2/14 - m/c @ 6.5wks
    Started with RE 5/14
    6/14 - 2.5 mg Femara + Ovidrel + TI  + progesterone = BFN
    7/14 - 2.5 mg Femara + Ovidrel + IUI + progesterone = BFN
    8/14 - 2.5 mg Femara ... super slow follie growth, O'd on my own on day 29 ... BFN
    9/14 - 5 mg Femara ... getting ready for IUI #2

~all welcome~
  • image beckynsean11:
    The only sort of parenting book I've started is Bringing Up Bebe. I'm not really reading it for parenting purposes. I just find it interesting.

Ditto! I just thought the cultural differences would be entertaining to read about.

I plan on reading the Mayo guide and prolly the Ina May Gaskin guide. Reading these books is something I'm looking forward to once I'm actually pregnant. I doubt I will be needing to read parenting guides the first year.

TTC #1 since Oct. 2012 | BFP Feb. 21, 2014!
    imageimage
  • image GhostMonkey:
    image lindscfa:
    image GhostMonkey:

image lindscfa:

http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/

thanks! I'll bookmark that for future reference too! 

imageimageimage
  • I read some pregnancy books while pregnant but have yet to read a single after the baby is born/parenting books. We just sort of wing it. Nearly three years in and so far so good. 
    photo 469e1cd6-748b-4b46-8341-e4ed60e2a4bd.jpg

BFP #1 11/28/09 ~ EDD 8/6/10 ~ DS Born 8/9/10

BFP #2 8/27/13 ~ EDD 5/8/14 ~ Natural MC 9/18/13 at 6 weeks, 6 days 
    BFP#3 3/28/14 ~ EDD 12/7/14 ~ It's a GIRL!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • image GhostMonkey:

image lindscfa:

I lurk all the time here, but I totally agree with this.

And yet it comes up all the time on other boards. How does it not make sense? I really want to know how that topic can fill up an entire book...

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • image jefa621:
    I figure, when I get pregnant, I'll read a pregnancy book. nbsp;When I have a kid, I might read a parenting book. nbsp;Right now I have to many gardening/decorating/fun books to read :

True....
    12/11: Lap surgery; Dx: Stage 2 Endo
    12/13: DH's SA, HSG, Hysterosonogram, CD3 and 7DPO blood work: Excellent!
    1/14: MOAR surgery!: NEW Dx: Stage 3 Endo/Kissing Ovaries. Let IF treatment begin!
    2/23/14: BFP!!! 

Lilypie - (VsHE)

• image rjeller32:
    image GhostMonkey:

image lindscfa:

I lurk all the time here, but I totally agree with this.

And yet it comes up all the time on other boards. How does it not make sense? I really want to know how that topic can fill up an entire book...

True story! I think part of it may be that some people have never actually steamed anything or have never operated a food processor. Although, I have to admit that I'm intrigued about the baby led weaning I've been reading about while lurking.

TTC #1 since Oct. 2012 | BFP Feb. 21, 2014!
    imageimage
  • I have read "What to Expect Before You're Expecting"
    DX: Hashimoto's - August 2012

Me:30 / DH: 31

BFP#1 after 15 cycles on 12/1/2013 EDD 8/7/2014

Anniversary

• image GhostMonkey:

image lindscfa:

Do you have a thing against people reading how to books? Or just books in general? People come on here to read advice, what is the difference of getting advice from a book?I only knew how to make sweet potatoes for my kids, a recipe book was a must IMO.
    Photobucket
  • image beckynsean11:
    The only sort of parenting book I've started is Bringing Up Bebe. I'm not really reading it for parenting purposes. I just find it interesting.

I've been reading that too. I don't agree with everything in the book but it is interesting.

I've read What To Expect When You're Expecting. It wasn't all that impressive although it was ok to start with. The format is weird. Topics kind of jump around.
  • I haven't read a lot of books yet, but I did read What to Expect Before You're Expecting and that was a total waste of time.  Unless you don't know how long your period is, but I'm thinking you have figured that out already.  The only shocking info I found in that book was that a pig ejacualtes a full cup of jizz every time.  So I recommend that you don't waste your time on this book.  My friend told me to read the Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy but I haven't gotten it out of the library yet.
    image image
    LO born 6/18/14!
  • image GhostMonkey:

This. 

Visit The Nest! Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers