Breastfeeding

Low supply

It will be two weeks going back to work. I have been struggling to make milk enough for DD. she is about 13 pds and I give to care taker 5 bottles of 4 oz with last feeding at 5 pm. I pump 4 times at wk and get only 2 oz each time that equates to only 8 oz. I am 12 oz short. I pump only 1/2 of what is given. What can I do to cover this shortage? I really want to breast milk exclusively and in desperate need of your help to increase supply. Any idea is appreciated. Thx

Re: Low supply

• Lots of water at least 2L. Add a pump session every night at bedtime. Mothers milk tea. Relax and look at cute pictures of lo while you pump. Power pump. You can do it! Also remember bf is not all or nothing, try not to get down on yourself.

"They can never have yesterday"
  • That seems like a lot of bm at daycare. DS eats four 3 to 3.5 ounce bottles. I nurse him right before drop off and I ask them to space the bottles at least 2 hours apart. I also ask them not to feed him for the last 1 to 2 hours before pickup and I nurse him as soon as we get home.

I'm barely making enough and I really think my water intake needs to increase. I have also noticed that when I'm stressed I don't pump enough. I just ordered some domperidone from a Canadian pharmacy and I'm going to see if that helps. GL!
  • Thank you for encouraging words and especially your tips. That seems a lot of milk but DD finish each feeding. However I notice DD belly is huge each time I see her at end of the day. Is it bad?
  • 1. Send less milk.  A baby her age only needs MAX 15 ounces while you are gone; most babies will be ok with 9-12 ounces (an ounce per hour mom is gone is average).  I would also not have a feeding at 5pm if you pick her up shortly after that.

2. Pump in the morning while you nurse one side (this always gave me the most milk), and/or add an evening pumping session.

3. Galactalogues: oatmeal, brewers yeast, lactation cookies (google the recipe; the peaceful parenting one is a good place to start), mother's milk tea, fenugreek, etc.

4. Power pump once a day - pump an hour total, 20min on, 10 off, 10 on, 10 off, 10 on. Do this for ~3 days to see a supply bump

5. While pumping: 1) use a tight fitting hands free pumping bra, 2) do breast compressions while pumping, 3) look at pictures/videos of your LO.

Consider renting a hospital grade pump. And make sure your pump flanges are the right size.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 Celsete Mae born 10/2/14 at 37w2d ♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦

• image Rochacha2013:
    Thank you for encouraging words and especially your tips. That seems a lot of milk but DD finish each feeding. However I notice DD belly is huge each time I see her at end of the day. Is it bad?

It is really easy to overfeed a BF baby with a bottle, particularly if a care provider is not used to dealing with BF babies.  Read the bottle feeding tips on kellymom and print it for your provider. And give less milk.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 Celsete Mae born 10/2/14 at 37w2d ♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦

• image Rochacha2013:
    It will be two weeks going back to work. I have been struggling to make milk enough for DD. she is about 13 pds and I give to care taker 5 bottles of 4 oz with last feeding at 5 pm. I pump 4 times at wk and get only 2 oz each time that equates to only 8 oz. I am 12 oz short. I pump only 1/2 of what is given. What can I do to cover this shortage? I really want to breast milk exclusively and in desperate need of your help to increase supply. Any idea is appreciated. Thx

I'm mobile so I can't see how old your LO is but that sounds like a lot of BM. Our pediatrician and lactation consultant both told me a BF baby should be getting an average of 25oz in a 24 hr period and it doesnt change much with babies age because our BM changes to rheir needs. It sounds like your LO is getting 20oz at daycare alone?