Baby Names

Question for Teachers, Day Care providers, etc

Question for Teachers, Day Care providers, etc...

What is the most common occurrence of a name you've ever seen in a given room, class, or grade level?

There's been a lot of talk here about how names aren't as repeated as they used to be and how you won't see 5 Jasons or Jennifers in a class anymore, but I was just wondering what your real life experience was like. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimageImage and video hosting by TinyPic    
            BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Question for Teachers, Day Care providers, etc

• I recently completed my student teaching semester. There were lots of Madison/Madelyn/Maddies. Another girl moved to a new district and came back to visit. She was bummed that there were 3 Pipers in her class before she got there, so now there were 4!
    For boys, I saw a "B" trend. In my class of 20, there were 5 boys who had names beginning with B.
  • I used to teach high school and middle school, and the only occurrence I can think of right off the top of my head was when I had a senior class with three students named Brittany. Actually, I think all three were spelled differently as well.  I don't mean just three in the entire senior class, I just mean in my 7th period.

I may have to get back with you with others.

Waiting on your BFP is like Charlie checking for his Golden Ticket

(Kudos to HisGirlFriday929 for finding this gif for me)

VOTE on my Name List

• image rachelstauf:
    I recently completed my student teaching semester. There were lots of Madison/Madelyn/Maddies. Another girl moved to a new district and came back to visit. She was bummed that there were 3 Pipers in her class before she got there, so now there were 4! For boys, I saw a "B" trend. In my class of 20, there were 5 boys who had names beginning with B.

4 Pipers is very surprising! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimageImage and video hosting by TinyPic    
                BabyFruit Ticker

• The past 2 years, I've had a lot of ayden names....in my class of 20 I had 3 Kaiden/kaden/Cadens and there was another kadin in the other class! Not to mention the Aidan, Hayden, Payden.
    Due October 29
  • image Pickle123:
    The past 2 years, I've had a lot of ayden names....in my class of 20 I had 3 Kaiden/kaden/Cadens and there was another kadin in the other class! Not to mention the Aidan, Hayden, Payden.

This!
  • I teach high school. I think the most I've ever had in one section of a class was three Katilyns but spelled different. Usually I only have one or two of even the most popular names in a section class period of a class.

Now if we are talking their entire graduating class then I've had dozens of Michaels, Jacobs, Ashleys, Kaitlyns, Ryan's etc in the same "year".
  • image Pickle123:
    The past 2 years, I've had a lot of ayden names....in my class of 20 I had 3 Kaiden/kaden/Cadens and there was another kadin in the other class! Not to mention the Aidan, Hayden, Payden.

this. Tons of Haydon, aiden, Kaiden, jayden, paydens!

• Funny, I just mentioned this in another thread. Last year I had Jaydon, Jayden, and Jaden. There were two others in other classes (Jadin and Jaiden) and we only have 4 classes in each grade. Thank goodness they all had different last initials. Pretty crazy huh!
    image image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH is a pre-K teacher and doesn't often have repeat names (and he usually has 36 kids a year in his room and 18 kids in the room next door). Although one year his entire class of girls in the afternoon (so like 10 of them) had names that ended in "a." That got to be a bit tricky because a lot of them rhymed.
  • Honestly over the last 10 years (and they keep coming) I always have several variations of Kaylynn, Kayla, Kaitlyn, etc...  It is getting old. I always have at least two in my class almost every year. 
  • SxiaSxia
    Ancient Membership 1000 Comments

Not this year and not a teacher, but when DD started preschool, there were 5 Samanthas. Sam, Sammie, Samantha, Samantha B. and Star (middle name.)

Since then both my kids classes have had multiple Eva/Avas. (long A sound.)

Samantha Skye - Aug 30, 2006 AND Maxwell Griffin - April 14, 2009
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • My mom does in-home daycare and lately she hasn't had any double names. For a while she had 3 Jacobs out of a group of 10 kids.

Lilypie - (HHa6)Lilypie - (PwPQ)

November siggy challenge: Baby picture - Christmas with my dashing grandpa

Untitled  

• I had several Ashley's and Austin's this year (high school). I also had multiple Dakota's

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • image XcrisscrossX:
    I had several Ashley's and Austin's this year (high school). I also had multiple Dakota's

DH has 6 Ashley's/2 Ashlee's/2 Ashlyn's this year and also teaches at a high school. Not sure of any others, I just know 2 of the Ashley's are a handful, so he mentions them often.

• krb03krb03
    500 Comments 100 Love Its Second Anniversary Name Dropper

I teach high school as well.

Boys this year: 2 Derek/Derrick's; 3 Nick/Nic's in the same class; and 3 Zach/Zak's

Girls this year: 2 Kennedy's; 3 Amanda's; 3 Emily's

Boy/Girl: Jalen/Jailynn

imageimage
  • I teach middle school in a suburban area of a major city, and I have never had more 2 of a name per year (so about 120 kids) except Madison.  That was a big one.  I really did have a class with 4 Maddies in it.  2 were Madeline and 2 were Madison.  

Also, I teach in an area where there is a high percentage of kids of Asian, Hispanic, etc, descent, so probably 50% of the names are more ethnic sounding (Siddhartha, Suma, Kayvon, Aakash...) so that might kind of skew the odds a bit.   

• I teach middle school so some of the most popular names right now haven't reach me yet.  Over the years I've seen a ton of Haileys, Katelyn/Kaitlyns etc, Mikayla/Makaylas etc., Tylers, Jacob/Jakes, Dakotas (boys).  I'm sure there are a lot more, but those are the first to pop into my head. 

Forgot about Zach.  I have taught a ton of them.

Lilypie - (F3i3)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Girls:  Emma, Lilly and Ava.

Boys: Benjamin, Ethan and William.

There have been multiples of these several times.

These not as popular names have been repeated in my area a lot: Sienna, Sebastian. 

My 2 girls, both born on a Friday the 13th, are exactly 2 years, 2 months, 2 hours and 2 minutes apart! And Baby Boy joined us October 11, 2013! image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • CoIvieCoIvie
    250 Answers 500 Comments 250 Love Its Name Dropper
    I work at a preschool. I'm in an infant room and the whole center has about 90 kids. Surpringly there's not too many of the same names. There's a couple Andrew's, Marlow's..and I think that's about it
  • Similar to the PP about teaching in a middle school (suburb) of Philadelphia.

This year of the 110 students on our team we have:

Kaylah, Kayla A, Kayla B, Kayla M, Kayla S  

• My mother once had 6 "Aprils" in an art section. They mostly had creative spellings- Apprille, Apryl, Aprelle, Aprylle, Abril and the more mundane April.

DS's kindie class (16 ids total) had 4 Tylers, a Taylor and a Tucker. DS scout troop had 8 Andrews for a time; only one went by Andy. 

• I had a prek class with 3 Samuels...all went by Sam and all 3 were very naughty...lol. ruined the name for me.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I teach kindergarten at a predominately African American school and I always have a lot of Jalynn's and Jayden's.
  • In the history of the home daycare I work in the owner has had about 50 kids and the only name that has ever been doubled is Kaydence/Cadenze. Not even sure of the real spelling of this name but these are the two we had.

Anniversary
  • I taught 4,5 and 6th grade for 13 years before leaving on maternity leave. We definitely saw a ton of Sophia, Isabella, Olivia, Emma. For boys we are now getting the Aidan, Ethan, jayden, jack names.
  • image katiewvb:
    image Pickle123:
    This!

Same here....this year  I had Jayden, Brayden, Braelyn, Raiden and Aidan.

I also usually have atleast 2 Jacobs.

<Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • ZimgerZimger
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 250 Love Its Second Anniversary

Mackenzie/Madison for girls

Caden/Jaden/Brayden/blah/blah/blah for boys

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The most repeat name I've had was Sara(h).  I had three in a class one year.

imageimageimage

Trying to get knocked up since June 2012 ~ Dx: PCOS

BFP 7.24.13 ~ EDD 4.2.14 ~ m/c  9.16.13 @ 11w4d

TTGP 2013 Best Blog ~ Keep On, Charting On

• I'm a daycare provider. You never can tell! In my center, one room has two Marlows! (ones a boy, ones a girl) The only other repeats are Zoe (they aren't actually in the same class, but we have four in a center of about 100 kids). There are five Andrews in the center, I think two of them share a classroom. 
  • Cameron/Kamryn
    Madilyn, Maddie, Madeline, etc.
    Addison
    Brooklyn
    Any girl name ending in ly sounds

Eli/ Elijah
    ayden trend
    Peyton/Payton
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers