January 2013 Moms

Replies

• No, I think that's a normal amount.  If I figure out what I pay full time at a center per hour, its like $4.
    William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We pay $3/hr. at an in-home daycare.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• b0710b0710
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Love Its Name Dropper
    I pay 27 a day to an in home provider. It depends on where you live, but I personally think that's a good rate for a family member.

ETA that is for an 8 hour day, so just over 3 an hour.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • When I return to work next month I will be paying $25 a day, which is a good deal for where I live (compared to the price of an actual daycare center).  A retired family friend will be watching her.  But, it seems like $25 is about average for a friend/family deal. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers imageimage image
  • I pay $25 a day to an in-home provider, but I'm also providing all of DS's food right now.  Licensed daycare providers in my state (MN) are also obligated to follow a federal/state food plan, so the daycare's food is planned and paid for once DS starts solids.

$25 is reasonable if she is providing all meals and snacks.  If your SIL is not going to provide those things, I think it's reasonable to ask for $30 to $35 depending on what groceries cost in your neck of the woods.  

Also, I would make it clear what hours you are "open," so your 8-9 hour day doesn't become a 10 hour day.  I could see it becoming really easy to "swing by the store for some groceries" when LO is with family than it is when LO is at a DC that will charge $1 for every minute you're late.  

You're obviously doing her a favor for cheaper than the DC, otherwise the LO would be there full time.  I'd venture to guess the grandparents aren't charging anything. 

Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
  • In Michigan, people I know get paid $10/hour to do this.  That seems like too much for a family member, but I think since you need the money, you could ask for more.  If you plan to treat them more like family--for instance, sometimes they baby-sit for you on the weekends, sometimes you cancel and ask grandma to do an extra day, etc. then I think that rate is fine.  If you plan to be more professional, you could say, I've considered doing this professionally, and I have researched this and know that most people who do get paid x.  I think this will be a pretty taxing job so even though I want to help, could I get y, which is less than x.
  • b0710b0710
    1000 Comments Third Anniversary 100 Love Its Name Dropper
    image brachysira:
    In Michigan, people I know get paid 10/hour to do this. nbsp;That seems like too much for a family member, but I think since you need the money, you could ask for more. nbsp;If you plan to treat them more like familyfor instance, sometimes they babysit for you on the weekends, sometimes you cancel and ask grandma to do an extra day, etc. then I think that rate is fine. nbsp;If you plan to be more professional, you could say, I've considered doing this professionally, and I have researched this and know that most people who do get paid x. nbsp;I think this will be a pretty taxing job so even though I want to help, could I get y, which is less than x.

Just thought I'd add that you are speaking of rates of nannies. I live in Michigan too and most definitely do not pay 10 dollars an hour, the in home provider does charge me roughly 3.25 an hour.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Wow...after looking at these rates... I live in the wrong state!
    Ugh, I am going to be working to pay for daycare!
  • Thank you everyone! The comments have been very helpful. I live in Mass. and after doing more research the $25 seems like a pretty good deal for my SIL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

• The one daycare I initially set up was 25 a day. The one I send LO now is 100 a week. It's an in home provider.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers