Breastfeeding

Replies

• You can't over feed at the breast. A directly breastfeeding baby can take what he needs and then comfort nurse without eating after that.
  • image tokenhoser:
    You can't over feed at the breast. A directly breastfeeding baby can take what he needs and then comfort nurse without eating after that.

This! 

Bradley Houston - 04.01.13
  • image tokenhoser:
    You can't over feed at the breast. A directly breastfeeding baby can take what he needs and then comfort nurse without eating after that.

Exactly this.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    ♥ BFP #3 2/7/14 - My BFP chart - EDD 10/20/14♥
    ♥ BFP #2 9/18/11 Nicole Evelyn born 5/17/12 at 38w3d ♥

♥ BFP #1 11/20/10 hb 12/14/10 natural m/c 12/25/10 at 8w3d ♥
     • Fateful appt. 2/11: Saline sono - polyp; thyroid nodule...it's cancer •  Hysteroscopy to remove polyp 3/17/11 •
    Total thyroidectomy (papillary carcinoma) 4/4/11
    RAI 5/9/11• Laparoscopic fibroid removal 11/2012
    ♦ Cancer free since May 2011 ♦

• image tokenhoser:

My pediatrician said that this is untrue, and that breast-fed babies actually can eat too much. If your baby drinks too much for his little belly, he will spit up. However, babies often spit up for other reasons, so it's hard to tell. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless his weight percentile jumps dramatically or your pedi says to worry. Also, the pp makes a good point that sometimes your baby may be doing nonnutritive sucking. If baby isn't swallowing very often, then he's not really eating much.

Amanda

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• My pediatrician said that you can't overfeed. My baby was 7lbs when we left the hospital and at 1 month he was 10lbs. The doctor said that because it's all breast milk he is happy.
  • AmyG*AmyG*
    10000 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary First Answer

At about 3 mos there is a growth spurt, where they are indeed always eating.

aside from that normal is every 2.5-3 hours usually by now, about 8-10 feedings a day.  if baby is sleeping longer than that at night it may make them want to eat more often during the day to make up the difference.

So how often do you think they are eating?

you can try making sure that baby fully finishes side #1 as the main meal, using breast compressions and massage to more fully empty the breast, to get more hindmilk into baby, which may help them to stay full longer.  offer side #2 only as dessert which baby may or may not need at every feeding.  be sure to burp well before side #2 dessert in case there is extra air fillin their stomach and then as soon as they burp they realize they really werent' full and then want to eat again sooner.

If you have oversupply, it is possible that baby may slightly overeat, because they are eating more than the normal amount of ounces, trying to get to the fuller fat hindmilk.  other than that, baby should be allowed to eat as often as they want to within reason of course. some babies will want to nurse whenever you are around cause it's more than just food, it's comfort and bonding time.

AmyG*

I don't type posts; I type novels.

I don't get tags, sorry.