Breastfeeding

Re: (Untitled)

• You can't over feed at the breast. A directly breastfeeding baby can take what he needs and then comfort nurse without eating after that.
  • imagetokenhoser:
    You can't over feed at the breast. A directly breastfeeding baby can take what he needs and then comfort nurse without eating after that.

This! 

Bradley Houston - 04.01.13
  • Loading the player...
  • imagetokenhoser:
    You can't over feed at the breast. A directly breastfeeding baby can take what he needs and then comfort nurse without eating after that.

My pediatrician said that this is untrue, and that breast-fed babies actually can eat too much. If your baby drinks too much for his little belly, he will spit up. However, babies often spit up for other reasons, so it's hard to tell. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless his weight percentile jumps dramatically or your pedi says to worry. Also, the pp makes a good point that sometimes your baby may be doing nonnutritive sucking. If baby isn't swallowing very often, then he's not really eating much.

Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • My pediatrician said that you can't overfeed. My baby was 7lbs when we left the hospital and at 1 month he was 10lbs. The doctor said that because it's all breast milk he is happy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"