February 2013 Moms

Re: (Untitled)

• I don't mean to be snarky, but eczema is not contagious and ringworm doesn't keep babies out of daycare.  I am all for keeping really sick kids away, but cannot agree with you on this. 

• imageJustinlove:
    I don't mean to be snarky, but eczema is not contagious and ringworm doesn't keep babies out of daycare. nbsp;I am all for keeping really sick kids away, but cannot agree with you on this.nbsp;

I had no idea ringworm didn't keep babies out of daycare, that's crazy
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Ringworm is basically just a fungal rash like athlete's foot and doesn't need a prescription to get rid of, usually. Just be aware and use proper handwashing and contact precautions and it's really NBD.
    Pregnancy Ticker image
  • Nope, no prescription needed unless it gets out of control.  It is also treated with the same topical cream as jock-itch LOL!  How do I know?  Funny story.  My first year teaching I got ringworm.  I had honestly never heard of ringworm before so I went to the pharmacy and asked what I needed to use to treat it.  I swear, it felt like he YELLED this, but I am sure it was just in my mind...

"You need to go over to the JOCK-ITCH section and pick up some Lotrimin AF.  Hang on...Hey Judy (the pharm tech), which aisle is the jock itch medicine on?  No, the JOCK-ITCH.  Ok!  The jock-itch section is on aisle 4."

I slunk out of there.  I was mortified.

But it cleared it right up!  Kids get ringworm a lot.  Pets are HUGE carriers of it.

• imageJustinlove:

Nope, no prescription needed unless it gets out of control.  It is also treated with the same topical cream as jock-itch LOL!  How do I know?  Funny story.  My first year teaching I got ringworm.  I had honestly never heard of ringworm before so I went to the pharmacy and asked what I needed to use to treat it.  I swear, it felt like he YELLED this, but I am sure it was just in my mind...

"You need to go over to the JOCK-ITCH section and pick up some Lotrimin AF.  Hang on...Hey Judy (the pharm tech), which aisle is the jock itch medicine on?  No, the JOCK-ITCH.  Ok!  The jock-itch section is on aisle 4."

But it cleared it right up!  Kids get ringworm a lot.  Pets are HUGE carriers of it.

This. My oldest likely got ringworm from his daycare, but not from another kid. The pedi told us it was likely in the sandbox or ANYWHERE really.It really is no big deal, you throw some lotrimin on there and it's fine.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagesararn2004:
    imageJustinlove:

Nope, no prescription needed unless it gets out of control.  It is also treated with the same topical cream as jock-itch LOL!  How do I know?  Funny story.  My first year teaching I got ringworm.  I had honestly never heard of ringworm before so I went to the pharmacy and asked what I needed to use to treat it.  I swear, it felt like he YELLED this, but I am sure it was just in my mind...

This. My oldest likely got ringworm from his daycare, but not from another kid. The pedi told us it was likely in the sandbox or ANYWHERE really.It really is no big deal, you throw some lotrimin on there and it's fine.

sandboxes are evil!  Seriously.  So many things are spread through sandboxes. 

• This is meant in a funny way, not a snarky.  My first reaction was to check your siggy to see if this was your first child Embarrassed  I get mad when people bring their really sick kids to day care, etc., but I didn't think eczema or ringworm was an issue. For me, its the vomit or the really bad colds/coughs/flu that drive me insane!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I remember getting ringworm as a kid and literally thinking there was a worm crawling around inside of me. Mom could have explained that one better ;)
    Married: August 2008
    DS born: February 2013
    TTC #2: Nov. 14
    Chemical pregnancy 09/16/15
    BFP: 12/25/15 EDD: 09/04/16
  • imagesingingsea:
    I remember getting ringworm as a kid and literally thinking there was a worm crawling around inside of me. Mom could have explained that one better ;)

Whereas my mom the nurse told my sister when she had it that the little circle was the bitemark from the worm inside her trying to get out. Sister was 12 at the time, but highly gullible. My mother is great for sarcastic scares.
    Pregnancy Ticker image
  • Hahaha yep - indeed this is my first child.  Eczema I don't mind because I know it's nt contagious, but ringworm will send my DH over the edge.  He's a germaphobe and if DS gets ringworm at the group, he might kick up a fuss about me going.  Um, I have news for you, DH:  kids pass stuff around.  DS is going to get sick.  In fact, I WANT him to pick up little bugs so that he builds some immunity!  DH is in for a wakeup call LOL

• Ringworm mostly spreads in hot, sweaty places too...like places with mats (wrestling) and indoor pools.  Yucky fungus. :)  Kids are germ-mobiles.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageNG2HD:
    This is meant in a funny way, not a snarky.  My first reaction was to check your siggy to see if this was your first child Embarrassed  I get mad when people bring their really sick kids to day care, etc., but I didn't think eczema or ringworm was an issue. For me, its the vomit or the really bad colds/coughs/flu that drive me insane!

This! A woman brought her toddler to playgroup, the kid hacked all over everything, and the mom said, "I'm not taking her to the doctor for her cough because there's nothing he can do for it anyway. [apparently she's never heard of bronchitis, pneumonia, or whooping cough] She's been coughing so hard at night that she throws up." Awesome. Thanks for bringing her to share even though you know there are also 3 newborn younger siblings in the group.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• I'll have to play devil's advocate on this one...a couple of years ago my DS got a spot of ringworm on his forehead from his cousins (they got it from some mats at the YMCA) and we treated it with tea tree oil and then lotrimin. It would not clear up and we finally had to get a prescription cream and that cleared it up in no time. I know it's not a dangerous thing, but it was so frustrating, so I understand your concerns. I would think the mom should've at least put something on to cover the spot just in case it was ringworm so that the child would not spread it!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ringworm is gross. 

That is all. 

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"