February 2013 Moms

Premature Baby Assumptions

Baby G is 4 m old now. She was born at 39 w and weighed in at 7 lbs 7oz so by no means early...at target today 5 different people stopped us to say how cute she was, ask how old and then proceeded to say oh so she must be a pre me !!!

It annoys me so much. She is about 11 lbs and 25 inches long now. So I know she is smaller .. Anyone else getting comments that there baby was premature even if they weren't ?? I hope this doesn't offend anyone! I am just annoyed with strangers making comments on her growth!

Re: Premature Baby Assumptions

• That's weird. I'm actually experiencing the complete opposite. My DD is in the 50th percentile for weight and 25th percentile for height, but people keep telling me she's big for her age. Someone today asked me if she was 8 months! I was just like uh...no. Haha. I think people really just have no idea.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• image lbonga1:
    That's weird. I'm actually experiencing the complete opposite. My DD is in the 50th percentile for weight and 25th percentile for height, but people keep telling me she's big for her age. Someone today asked me if she was 8 months! I was just like uh...no. Haha. I think people really just have no idea.

Yeah they I am sure they have no clue. It is just annoying .. Babies are all different sizes just like adults! I guess I will ignore them!
  • I will get one person tell me she is so small (at 4 month 12lbs and 24 inches) and then two minutes later another person will say she is so big!  I think that unless you have a child under the age of 1 you forget what they look like!  Don't stress, I'm sure baby G is doing great and right on track for HER!
  • I get the opposite too, LO is 17 lbs and 26 in at 4 months, so I get the crazy looks when I say he's only 4 months. He's a big boy, I get it, but he's proportionate and not overweight (yes I've had people tell me that!). I just try to go on with my day, but it's definitely an annoyance!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image ByeByeBooze:

image amandagen:
    I get the opposite too, LO is 17 lbs and 26 in at 4 months, so I get the crazy looks when I say he's only 4 months. He's a big boy, I get it, but he's proportionate and not overweight (yes I've had people tell me that!). I just try to go on with my day, but it's definitely an annoyance!

My neighbor saw DD today and told me, "you've got to stop feeding that kid". She's a baby, she has rolls - they're supposed to be there, dummy! She's 4 months, 26 inches, and 16 pounds. 80th percentile for both. 

Right what is wrong with people? I got a comment at a grad party the other day about how fat she is. I know she's chubby she's SUPPOSED to be. And she's getting BM so it's not like I can over feed her really. There was a 7 month old there that was one pound heavier than my DD. That mom had a preme baby and called  my term baby fat.... How the heck do you handle that one? Something tells me saying this is what a healthy baby looks like wouldn't have been to nice but it was very tempting. (She's 80% for weight and 30% for height so I think I may have a Hobbit just like mommy on my hands)

• You just have to get used to the fact that people in general have no concept of how big an average child of age x is.

DD1 was a preemie and her whole life has been in about the 3rd percentile for height/weight. She is 2 years, 2 months old, and I know 9 month olds who weigh more than her. I'm guessing DD2 will catch up to her clothes size by the end of the summer. And yet, when she was about 1 year old and already walking, a man at church asked how old she was, I said "she just turned one." And he said "Wow! She's big for her age!" Um... not even close, but whatever.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• image kelly321:

You just have to get used to the fact that people in general have no concept of how big an average child of age x is.

DD1 was a preemie and her whole life has been in about the 3rd percentile for height/weight. She is 2 years, 2 months old, and I know 9 month olds who weigh more than her. I'm guessing DD2 will catch up to her clothes size by the end of the summer. And yet, when she was about 1 year old and already walking, a man at church asked how old she was, I said "she just turned one." And he said "Wow! She's big for her age!" Um... not even close, but whatever.

My oldest is also tiny (she just moved up to 6th percentile in weight and is 15th in height) so people always think she is younger than she is.  It doesn't bother me--after all, she is the size of many 2-3 year olds.  My youngest is cruising along at 60th weight and 75th height, so I know she will catch my oldest in clothes despite their age difference. 

• I have a friend who's 2.5 year old is only 19 lbs 27 inches tall. People always think she is an advanced 12 month old because she can talk but she is so tiny. There is nothing abnormal about her, she's just tiny. She doesn't even place on the average growth charts, lol. Its really funny to see her holding my 14 lbs, 4 month old!
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Nope, but they comment on how tiny she is.  She's over 4 months old and is ten lbs even.  Doesnt bother me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not us, totallly other way.  hes 18 weeks today and hes a big boy.  People think hes close to a year. Little do they know hes only 4.5 months
    April 10 IUI BFN Sept 10 IUI BRN Feb 11 IVF hoping for a BFP! Feb 27 ER 28 eggs Mar 4 8 health eggs, 2 ET Mar 17 - Beta 180!! BFP!!! Mar 21 - Beta 1295!! holy cow what a jump Coming soon 1st Sono March 30!!! Crossing fingers for healthy stick bean(s) Mar 29 miscarry :( 6w 3d 2nd IVF July 2011 BFP July 2011 M/C 11/11/11 hate to say good bye again! Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 3rd IVF 4/3/12 ER 46 eggs (holly cow batman) 40 mature, 36 fertilized 4/8/12 ET 2 AB put back 4/10/12 15 make it to FREEZE 4/22/12 Beta BFN 1st FET 6/7/12 Day we are going to put back 2. 6/21/12 BFP 1285 6/25/12 4780 I hope this time they stick!! Deaglan William welcome. My rainbow is finally here February 7, 2013
  • image Kristie330:
    I will get one person tell me she is so small (at 4 month 12lbs and 24 inches) and then two minutes later another person will say she is so big!  I think that unless you have a child under the age of 1 you forget what they look like!  Don't stress, I'm sure baby G is doing great and right on track for HER!

i get the same thing.. Ash is 25 inches and 14 pounds, long and lean! Some people think he is small and others think he is huge!,  depends what baby they compare to. He is longer than most babies but not chubby... I just ignore the comments cause he is perfectly happy and healthy! 

imageimg]