April 2013 Moms

LOL.. I just can't today.

So a little about me, I am from California, the Bay Area. My husband is from West Virginia (Yeah huge leap in everything about us) well anyways, I am out here in West Virginia right now. I am one of the two or three 'colored' people out here within a 75 mile radius (everyone knows everyone's family out here). I am half black, half white with brown hair and green eyes.

Well here I am going into Walmart cause the nearest mall or store other than walmart is almost 50 miles away. This lady comes up to me and coos at my son and says:

Lady - "Aww he is so cute are you babysitting?"
Me- "What?.. No?" so I look at Connor and was like "This is my son"
Lady - "How is that your son? wow he is bright blond hair and bright blue eyes"
Me - "It isn't a far stray from my green"
Lady - "Just his skin is so light, I would have never known he was anything other than white."
Me (in a very mocking country tone)- "Well! I guess I grabbed the wrong baby. Shucks with all pickins' I did that day I was seeing brown all over! Excuse me while I take the colored exit out and go hand this wonderful baby to his rightful mother."

I know, it is bad, but this isn't the first time this has happened since I've had him. I usually find it more funny than anything, but today it was hot and humid... and I was sticky.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: LOL.. I just can't today.

• Kate_CKate_C member
    Wow... Just, wow.
  • KfavinKfavin member
    Ha ha that was a perfect response!!
    How did you go from the Bay Area to WV?? My husband is from San Francisco, it's beautiful there :
  • Loading the player...
  • I love your response!! She deserved it!
  • Good for u that's *** awesome!
  • imageKfavin:
    Ha ha that was a perfect response!! How did you go from the Bay Area to WV?? My husband is from San Francisco, it's beautiful there :

My husband was working on an oil rig out there when we met, he was in the process of moving back to his home here in WV. So I came out here. I do miss Cali, a lot. I am from Napa Valley.

• I'm in WV and I promise you, we aren't all like that. Lol at DDs last pedi appt DH went with me straight from work he's an underground coal miner and the receptionist called me up and asked if DD is mixed. I looked at DD and said nope doesn't look like it. She said is that your husband that her insurance is under? I replied, yupp. So now she knows DD is white, thinks DH is colored and I'm a whore! Great...gotta love WV
  • that's a perfect response! Some people have absolutely no filter! >.<
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imageLuckey4:
    I'm in WV and I promise you, we aren't all like that. Lol at DDs last pedi appt DH went with me straight from work he's an underground coal miner and the receptionist called me up and asked if DD is mixed. I looked at DD and said nope doesn't look like it. She said is that your husband that her insurance is under? I replied, yupp. So now she knows DD is white, thinks DH is colored and I'm a whore! Great...gotta love WV

I know! There are a lot of nice people out here, it took me a while to get used to the everyone waving at you thing... =)

And LOL. 

• Oh yeah lol. Waving is a biggie. Yesterday at WalMart an elderly lady was all over DD, then when I went to walk away she asked for a hug. So I gave her a hug and she hugged me for like ten seconds! Awkward! But I felt bad for her.
  • I live in WV too! Lots of us here apparently. I am guessing you must be a little further south? Like the PP said, we aren't all like that but there are a lot who give us that reputation. A huge difference from California no matter where you are, I'm sure.

Eta: lol at everyone waving. So true. I love it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm so sorry you've had to deal with this ignorance. My dad is very Irish looking (imagine JFK) & I'm obviously "colored". I've experienced these type of questions a lot growing up.  

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Some people just don't think before they open their mouths. I'm sorry you experienced this but kuddos to you on your response it was priceless.

I'm Hispanic tan / dark hair and my husband is of Irish and German descent blond / blue eyes. DD1 looks a lot like me but with fairer skin and light brown hair. DS2 however, was born with very fair skin and blond hair. He doesn't look like he's my child and I've already had a handful of strangers ask me if he is my child. I'm assuming they think I'm the nanny. Oy!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"