High-Risk Pregnancy

Cholestasis anyone?

Ftm here and just got diagnosed with it at 33wks 3d.  Therefore this leaves me about 4 weeks before getting induced.  Any other moms out there that have dealt with this, I'm feeling very nervous and anxious since I was hoping to have a med free birth.  I don't really know what to expect with being induced as neither of my sil or any girlfriends have ever had to be.  Any insight on your experience with the cholestasis or induction would be greatly appreciated! Ty

Re: Cholestasis anyone?

• eav2ceav2c
    2500 Comments 250 Answers Third Anniversary 5 Love Its

Hi! 

Fellow ICP mama here. Try not to stress. Do they have you on urisdol? Make sure they are checking your bile acids every week at minimum. BA's can spike and more or less itching is not an idicator of where your BA's are at. Are you having twice weekly NST's and once a week u/s (this is recommended by leading doctors in the field)? Frequent appointments (about every 48 hours)? Sadly, doctors are very uneducated about ICP but it's great you've gotten the diagnosis. There is a great group on facebook called icp/itchy moms. I recommend joining it. You will find TONS of active ICP moms. It's a great support group. Feel free to reach out to me if you need someone to talk to. I've been through it once and have a happy and healthy 14 month old. I was induced at 37 weeks but ended up with a csection. My body really wasn't ready for labor and my DS wasn't tolerating labor well either. It will be OKAY! Hang in there.

Dx w/Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy @ 33w. Induction turned c-section @ 37w. Colin Alexander - Born 3/29/12 @ 3:50pm - 5lbs 8oz 18.5"
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Hi! I am glad I came across your post! Luckily for you they have diagnosed it early. Mine got diagnosed too late, not till 37 weeks, and since its not very common at all and I ended up with a CS at 37 weeks. But to me it sounds like your in great hands because nobody really knew what was wrong with me for 3 weeks and I got a couple wrong diagnosis. I know for the next baby there is things they can do to monitor you like PP said. But in my case they didn't clue on until my blood pressure spiked and my baby went into distress that this was something a lot more serious than they thought. But I highly doubt this will be your case as they already know!

Good luck!

• image eav2c:

Hi! 

Fellow ICP mama here. Try not to stress. Do they have you on urisdol? Make sure they are checking your bile acids every week at minimum. BA's can spike and more or less itching is not an idicator of where your BA's are at. Are you having twice weekly NST's and once a week u/s (this is recommended by leading doctors in the field)? Frequent appointments (about every 48 hours)? Sadly, doctors are very uneducated about ICP but it's great you've gotten the diagnosis. There is a great group on facebook called icp/itchy moms. I recommend joining it. You will find TONS of active ICP moms. It's a great support group. Feel free to reach out to me if you need someone to talk to. I've been through it once and have a happy and healthy 14 month old. I was induced at 37 weeks but ended up with a csection. My body really wasn't ready for labor and my DS wasn't tolerating labor well either. It will be OKAY! Hang in there.

they have put me ursodiol 300mg 3x/day.  They haven't said anything about checking my levels since that first test, but I amg going for a checkup, u/s and nst every week until 35 weeks then I go 2x/wk for u/s and checkups.  I will have to check out that Facebook group, it would be nice to talk with other moms that have gone through it or are currently.  Now it's just finishing all the last minute stuff a little earlier than planned!!!

• Another ICP Mama here!  I was also on ursidol, had appointments every 48 hours, and was induced at 37 weeks.  

I had also planned for a med-free birth.  I worked VERY hard to be ready for induction at 37 weeks and ended up not needing pitocin.  My water broke and contractions started after 1 dose of cervadil.  However, my contractions ended up coming very close together and I couldn't tolerate the pain.  I ended up having an epidural and delivered a healthy baby girl vaginally.  My suggestion would be to be totally flexible while in labor.

I was diagnosed at 28 weeks (very early by medical standards) and I had a long, hot summer to deal with itching (my DD was born August 9).  I took benadryl and zyrtec, alternating every between the two meds every two hours at night to help with the itching and spent a lot of time with my feet and hands in ice baths or very cold water.  The heat seemed to make the itching worse for me.   

Feel free to ask more questions!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic