Baby Showers

Thank You card etiquette question

Short version: Is it weird to send out an announcement and a thank you note in the same envelope? 

I had a small shower, but we ended up receiving a large number of gifts from not just shower guests but other family, friends, and co-workers also. I haven't gotten around to Thank You cards yet. 

Would it be weird to send out thank you notes after the baby arrives, and include a photo/announcement of the baby? Some of our out-of-state relatives in particular are older and not really email/Facebook types, and have asked us to mail a photo. I was thinking I could just have a bunch printed and include them with other cards too, and have the announcement/photo accompany the Thank You notes.  Should we limit the photo to just the few who requested one, or would it be ok to include for others as well?  Should I just send both things separately to everyone?

Thanks in advance. 

Re: Thank You card etiquette question

• Thank you notes should be sent out ASAP so unless your LO will be here like tomorrow, don't send them together.
  • image ordinary1:
    Thank you notes should be sent out ASAP so unless your LO will be here like tomorrow, don't send them together.

This might very well be the case (baby might be here tomorrow). I'm already term. 

• It isn't tacky to put them both together but I wouldn't wait. Thank you'd should go out 2 weeks after the event IMO. Also, with a new LO you most likely won't have the time or energy to get them done.
  • You need to send them out now. Don't wait any longer. Especially after the baby arrives you will not want to do them. It will take you a while to get announcements out waiting for pics, ordering them, etc. send thank yous tomorrow!
    Off BCP since 1/12
    TTC since 3/12
    High LH/FSH Ratio 8/12
    DX with PCOS 11/12
    Clomid 50mg - 19.5mm Follie - Trigger + TI = BFP! 11/12
    EDD August 11, 2013 
    DS Born August 14, 2013!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Don't send them together.  Thank you cards should be sent out ASAP, and I personally hate combo mail (like Christmas cards that include a "thanks for coming to our wedding note).  It just looks cheap to me.

4/12/10 - Began TTC 8/2012 - IFV #1 - 18 follicles retrieved, 11 usable, 10 fertilized, 9 continued to grow, 2 tranferred, BFN :( 9/2012 to 10/2012- Treated for uterine infection 11/12/12 - Began IVF #2 12/19/12 - 2 embryos tranferred 12/24/12 - Tested Christmas Eve morning - first ever BFP!!! with a due date of 9/6 :) 12/28/12 - Beta #1 - 193 12/31/12 - Beta #2 - 624 1/7/13 - Beta #3 - 7544 1/14/13 - Beta #4 - 31,067 1/16/13 - IT'S TWINS!!!! Two healthy heartbeats! 8/22/13 9:51 and 9:52pm- Our precious Ashley and Kayla arrived in perfect health.  (Ashley - 6lbs 0oz, 18.5 inches.  Kayla - 5lbs 2oz, 17 inches.)

Lilypie - (TZV1)image

• Ok, thanks guys. My shower was on the later side as far as showers go (I was 38 weeks), and gifts from non-shower guests are still trickling in. We even received one in the mail today. So I was putting off the thank you notes. But I'll get started on them in the morning. 

• I disagree with PPs. I have no problem with announcements sent along with the thank yous, with two caveats:

1) You have to really commit to getting them out very soon after LO is born, which may be a challenge. I would try to get all of the TYs written out now, and all of the envelopes addressed, so that all you have to do is add the announcement/picture and send them off. This also means that you have to get motivated to make sure announcements/pictures are printed and ready right after LO arrives. This is less urgent if you had your shower really late in your pregnancy, more urgent if the TYs are already way overdue.

2) There should still be a personalized, handwritten TY to each person who sent you a gift. It's definitely tacky if it's just a generic, thanks for the present, now look at my baby, KWIM?

But I see no reason not to save money on extra stamps/envelopes/etc (that stuff adds up, esp if you have a lot of TYs to send!) as long as people are still getting properly thanked!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image JilllyBean:
    You need to send them out now. Don't wait any longer. Especially after the baby arrives you will not want to do them. It will take you a while to get announcements out waiting for pics, ordering them, etc. send thank yous tomorrow!

This! Once baby arrives TYs will be the last thing on your mind so get them out ASAP.  

OaD July Siggy Challenge: DS on the 4th (2013, 2014)
    imageimage

• Grace, I'm disappointed that you didn't turn this into a poll like on the pgal board:)

Anyway, I mailed the last of my ty cards the day before my water broke, and I'm so glad I did.  Not only was it one less thing that I had to do, but we received a lot more gifts after DS was born, which meant even more ty cards!  And sometimes it takes a while to get your announcements done.  FWIW, I did send out some ty cards in the same envelope as the announcement for the gifts we received after the DS was born because my relatives are the type that would have found it odd for two pieces of mail arriving at the same time.  But the key was to have a separate ty card, and not just scribbling a ty on the announcement.   

image                             image                                  

July PAL Siggy Challenge; Cake Fails 

• Especially with how late your baby shower was, I wouldnt side eye you at all for sending a combo. If it was at 32wks, that would be different.

How are you doing the announcements? If they are going to be done very soon after the birth and not going through a few week wait for publishing, I'd say go for it. If you go with both, I'd do the thank you notes now so you can just pop an announcement and not put any of the little energy you'll have into it. 

• image GraceInCA:
    Ok, thanks guys. My shower was on the later side as far as showers go I was 38 weeks, and gifts from nonshower guests are still trickling in. We even received one in the mail today. So I was putting off the thank you notes. But I'll get started on them in the morning.nbsp;

It's easier to write them a few at a time, so having them all done and then writing another one when a gift arrives in the mail is totally fine and honestly easier.

Write them ASAP. If you're due tomorrow, what if you don't have the baby until 42 weeks. How long will you be a zombie before you feel settled enough to get pictures done and announcements printed? And THEN you have to find time to write notes... It could be two months from now before you get notes out. That's definitely too long.

For my wedding I sent pictures out with my TY notes, which means I waited way too long. Getting my pics was delayed because the photographer wasn't going to give us the finished product until we paid, makes sense, but my idiot dad was holding payment hostage until we got the pictures. I had to yell at him for that one lol.

So don't wait! Send TY notes ASAP!