Stay at Home Moms

Let's talk about strollers.

Jack will be 3.5 when his sister arrives, and I want something for trips to the zoo and other local amusement parks, and long walks. He's pretty good on foot, but kids get tired and no one wants to carry a sweaty preschooler around the zoo. It really won't be for every day stroller use, just for the occasional "in case of tired kid" use.

What kind of stroller would you get? And please don't say a BOB/Phil & Ted because I don't want to spend their college funds on a stroller. I found a MacLaren Twin Traveller for $45, but I can't find any new info on that stroller so I don't even know if it was made in the last five years. 

J 1.15.10 | A 9.15.13

Re: Let's talk about strollers.

• AA0417AA0417
    250 Answers Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Love Its
    I would likely get whatever I could used that seemed to fit my needs and was in good condition because it wouldn't get a lot of use. Otherwise, I would look for a great deal on a new one. I wouldn't be as picky in my selection as I would for a regularly used stroller.
  • I know you don't want to hear pricey, but I love my City Select. If for no other reason than that you'd still get lots of use out of it as a single.
    Baby Numbers 11.8.10 The Sequel on or around 10.13.12
  • ETA: NVM, I didn't see you wanted a double. Ignore me.

How much do you want to spend?

I love my city mini, the regular one is 250$, though. We have the GT, but I also use it every single day.  Could you just get an umbrella stroller? Older kids fit in those, don't they?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• My thinking is just that I don't know how long we'd need the double- so I don't want to spend a buttload on a double. KWIM? 

Amy you can use the city as a double or a single? 

Oh and also, I don't know if I want a regular umbrella, because they don't recline and I can't put a newb in one. Anyone know of any good reclining umbrella style?

J 1.15.10 | A 9.15.13

• image scatteredtrees:

My thinking is just that I don't know how long we'd need the double- so I don't want to spend a buttload on a double. KWIM? 

Yup, the City Select comes as a single. You then buy the second seat. So it does add up :(

But I used it as a single for DS1, then as a double, first with the car seat and now with two seats. 

• image amy052006:
    image scatteredtrees:

My thinking is just that I don't know how long we'd need the double- so I don't want to spend a buttload on a double. KWIM? 

Yup, the City Select comes as a single. You then buy the second seat. So it does add up :(

But I used it as a single for DS1, then as a double, first with the car seat and now with two seats. 

Maybe it depends on the kid, but I test drove a city select and I felt that at almost 3, DD1 was too big to really make it work for us as a double. If DD1 was 2 when DD2 was born, I likely would have got it, I do like it a lot. 

We went w/ the city mini double b/c I wanted something that would fold up easily & quickly for traveling, too. I also wanted a stroller they could both sleep in.  

E 9.08, V 8.11, J 4.14
  • get some kind of sit n stand for sure.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I really like my Britax Double B-Agile.  It's very similar to the City Mini, but cheaper.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • image scatteredtrees:

Oh and also, I don't know if I want a regular umbrella, because they don't recline and I can't put a newb in one. Anyone know of any good reclining umbrella style?

http://www.amazon.com/Contours-ZL014-TLO1-Lite-Stroller-Tangerine/dp/B0030EH8OO/ref=br_it_dp_o_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=6LRSSQ42MBZP&coliid=IZJWAB8KW4FFO

Is this what you mean? Not a double but it's a reasonably priced umbrella stroller that reclines. I love mine! 

BFP 11/29/11 MC 12/29/11
  • Have you checked Craig's List? In our area there a lot of "nice" strollers for not very much money. Heck, if you were in our area, I'd give you our P&T for $50. I'd love to get rid of it.

• Do you have a single stroller now?  If the baby was riding in the single stroller and your older one got tired, you could wear the baby and put the older one in the stroller.

Checking craigslist for used doubles/sit n stands/nicer singles can be a good way to go.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • image scatteredtrees:

I have a combi cosmo ex (not a double) it fully reclines so a newborn can use.  Its basically a souped up umbrella stroller. I love it.  It was around $80 bucks, but I had 20% off of that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• image Mrs.Hizzo:
    Have you checked Craig's List? In our area there a lot of "nice" strollers for not very much money. Heck, if you were in our area, I'd give you our P&T for $50. I'd love to get rid of it.

Yeah I actually found that Maclaren I mentioned on CL. It's only $45 so maybe I should go for it. I just want some kind of simple double stroller that I won't regret buying three months later, KWIM? Though I could always sell.... 

J 1.15.10 | A 9.15.13

• If you don't mind buying used, I'd keep my eye out on your local buy & sell website. We got our Phil & Teds for $100, and it's in great condition :) 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• image NavyPilotWife:

Do you have a single stroller now?  If the baby was riding in the single stroller and your older one got tired, you could wear the baby and put the older one in the stroller.

Checking craigslist for used doubles/sit n stands/nicer singles can be a good way to go.

The bolded is what I did.  I had a Baby Trend Sit & Stand I bought used and had a 4 yo & a 2 yo.  I would wear DD3 (this was after she could sit up) so that DD1 could sit in the stroller.

• I would think an inexpensive sit and stand type stroller would be what you want. By the time my DD was 4, she was really done using a stroller, even for outings that required a lot of walking.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love my Joovy caboose ultralight sit and stand.  I got it off craigslist searching specifically for that one for a while.  It can recline and has an attachment so you can use it with an infant seat (though it wasn't comfortable for ds to sit against a reclined back, standing was fine and he never complained).  I like it because ds can easily hop on/off himself, yet there are still straps for him so I can threaten to strap him in if he's misbehaving.  And when he's not on it, it's not much bigger than pushing a single stroller around. 

It's from several years ago, so I don't know if sit and stands have improved since then, but I still love it.

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • hocushocus
    Ninth Anniversary 5000 Comments 25 Love Its Combo Breaker

A used phil and teds would run about $150 and might be worth it to you.I've been looking for a good deal on a bob for a while since I think it will help make it easier to get to preschool in the mornings. 

I don't think you want a macalaren double if your older child is over 3. It would be too hard to push. I'd look into getting a board that hooks on to your older stroller OR getting a used double like the city mini, phil and teds, bob etc. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • hocushocus
    Ninth Anniversary 5000 Comments 25 Love Its Combo Breaker
    image LalaMama81:
    image amy052006:
    image scatteredtrees:

Maybe it depends on the kid, but I test drove a city select and I felt that at almost 3, DD1 was too big to really make it work for us as a double. If DD1 was 2 when DD2 was born, I likely would have got it, I do like it a lot. 

We went w/ the city mini double b/c I wanted something that would fold up easily & quickly for traveling, too. I also wanted a stroller they could both sleep in.  

I agree with you. We owned a city select and used it for a year or so. But by the time my older child hit 3 it was not ideal. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image hocus:
    image LalaMama81:
    image amy052006:
    image scatteredtrees:

I agree with you. We owned a city select and used it for a year or so. But by the time my older child hit 3 it was not ideal. 

Huh. I am going to guess my 2.5 year old is at least as big as the "average" three year old and we have had zero issues.

Although, there was a redesign on the seats last year, so maybe that is it. 

• image amy052006:

Huh. I am going to guess my 2.5 year old is at least as big as the "average" three year old and we have had zero issues.

Maybe that helped. Of course, I only checked it out in the store, didn't actually play with it in different scenarios. DD is tall, but super skinny, so it was really length I recall being worried about. I looked at them in early 2011, so it might have been a 2010.

It is crazy that strollers have years like cars do.  

E 9.08, V 8.11, J 4.14
  • image LalaMama81:
    image amy052006:

Maybe that helped. Of course, I only checked it out in the store, didn't actually play with it in different scenarios. DD is tall, but super skinny, so it was really length I recall being worried about. I looked at them in early 2011, so it might have been a 2010.

It is crazy that strollers have years like cars do.  

We got our in 2010, and that seat was definitely shorter.  I replaced both seats in late last year (my original color was discontinued) and they are larger.

OMG the Baby gear board. When I was pregnant they were all over this nonsense. 

• I would probably do a sit n stand deluxe. It has a second jump seat, but also a standing board to keep him contained for parking lots and such.

That sounds like a very low price for a used maclaren so I'd be wary honestly.

I will say, though, that by 3.5 my girls were both absolutely done with strollers in absolutely all settings (including long day trips), so you may do fine with a single stroller either kid could use and a wrap/sling for the baby when your son wants to ride.

image image Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I need to see some of these sit 'n stand strollers in person. I really like the Joovy online but haven't seen it in person yet. That does sound like a good way to go. Jack isn't a huge rider anymore, but I would love it for places like parking lots and crowded malls, etc... so something he could hop on and off would be ideal. 

Thanks girls!  

J 1.15.10 | A 9.15.13

• I bought a used Joovy caboose ultralight. I'm planning on also using my single stroller and an ergo a lot.

• Two of my friends have InStep jogging strollers that they like for zoo trips.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Do you have a stroller already? If you do, you could get one of those standing attachments for older kids - it fits at the back of the stroller, and flips up when they aren't using it.

How much are sit'n'stands? I would look for something used if you don't want to spend a lot of cash. 

FWIW, I love our P&T! 

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• NandaBNandaB
    5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its Third Anniversary
    What about a sit and stand? We got the tandem, which has an actual seat on the back, but its removable w/a bench seat underneath. I don't know if you want to use the seat part, but G is 38'' tall and won't fit comfortably much longer. The other problem is that not all infant seats fit on it well. We got ours used for 40 bucks, so I'm not sure how expensive they are new.
    G: 5/8/11
    N: 4/8/13
    having a baby on Christmas!

*suck it bump - siggies are hard
  • image NandaB:
    What about a sit and stand? We got the tandem, which has an actual seat on the back, but its removable w/a bench seat underneath. I don't know if you want to use the seat part, but G is 38'' tall and won't fit comfortably much longer. The other problem is that not all infant seats fit on it well. We got ours used for 40 bucks, so I'm not sure how expensive they are new.

Either your kid is tall or mine is short! He's a year older and just hit 38" he'd been hovering at 37" forEVA

• i would go with a joovy caboose...or the $2000 bugaboo donkey - haha!