Breastfeeding

Loosing weight and BFing

I would really like to get this weight off but I am worried if I start cutting my calories back my milk supply will drop or suffer. I am wondering what you others are doing for weight loss? I am a month PP and really wanting to get out of sweat pants, and into my jeans again. Any advice on how to do this without hurting my milk supply?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Loosing weight and BFing

• One of MH's friends is a nutritionist and just happened to post a video on this.

https://mikeroussell.com

Sorry it's not clicky I'm on mobile. And I can't link directly to the video because mobile eats the dashes in the address. But it's the second posting on the page. I didn't watch the video yet because I am only on my phone. Haven't hauled out the computer but most if his stuff is good. Good luck.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Exercising! I think I thought the lbs would fall off after LO's birth and a few did, but I had to work at the rest.

I'm also eating healthier food choices. The biggest change for me was my snacking options as my meals were prettygood. Instead of snacking on cookies and brownies ad chips like I did in the beginning I'm now snacking mostly on fruits and veggies. If I crave sweets I might dip my fruit in a LITTLE choc. Pitas and hummus or a crackers with a little meat and cheese if I need a "heartier" snack.

I downloaded sparkpeople to my phone and track what I eat. It really helps to SEE the damage I have done for the day. I was eating a lot of junk and not even realizing the fat and calories I was taking in.

• Loading the player...
  • I watched pp video link, he gives great advice. He basically said to focus on exercise and not restricting diet, and gives you an idea of how much to eat a day calorie wise
  • TJ1979TJ1979 member
    For me it was focusing on what I eat, not how much. I cut out all packaged foods, dairy and soy for LO, and gluten for me. I eat a ton of food now but it's all real food, meat, eggs, fruit, veg, seeds, and nuts.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • imageNicoleSB80:
    Exercising! I think I thought the lbs would fall off after LO's birth and a few did, but I had to work at the rest. I'm also eating healthier food choices. The biggest change for me was my snacking options as my meals were prettygood. Instead of snacking on cookies and brownies ad chips like I did in the beginning I'm now snacking mostly on fruits and veggies.

I completely agree.  I thought the weight would just melt right off.  Not the case.  I lost half of the weight I gained right away but then plateaued.  I decided that my milk supply was more important than  losing all the rest of the weight right away.  I did moderate exercise and ate healthier.  The weight slowly came off and around 8 months postpartum I was back to my pre-preg weight.  Give it a little time and increase your exercise.  You will lose the weight. GL!

• I'm not yet PP. But my mom has said to me many times it takes 9 months to put the weight on so it will prob take 9 months to take the weight off. So don't stress over it. 
    Wife to Michael 5/25/02 
    Mom to Reilly 3/13/03 
    Mom to Ryder 7/26/13
    BFP 12/10/12
    Beta 12/12/12: 351 @16 dpo 
    Beta 12/17/12: 2999 @21 dpo 
    Beta 12/20/12: 7539 @24 dpo 

• I'm counting calories. I started out not restricting to find out how much I was eating. (~2,500) Then I added 300 calories to my BMR. (~1,800) I started trying to just keep my calories under 2,000. Most days I eat about 1,800 calories, though some days are more or less. I'm not strict about going over if I really need to (and its not just boredom or whatever) and I listen to hunger and fullness. I drink 3 liters of water a day or more. I eat the same oatmeal breakfast every day. I have had no supply issues doing this. I am losing weight. I haven't added walks yet but when I do, I'll eat a little more on walking days.

I think the most important thing for my BM supply and my Weight loss is WATER. ETA: WATER and feeding on demand.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagetheresat858:

I attempted to limit my calories to 2400/day when LO was 5 months old, and my supply suffered - I lost 2 pounds.  When I allowed myself to eat as desired (only eating healthy foods, but ~2700 cals/day or more) and gain those 2 lbs back, my supply came back up.

My personal decision was that BF was more important to me than weight loss. I'm now trying to actually lose the weight as we are working on weaning.

This was my experience as well. I can lose about 1/2 a lb a week without it affecting my supply. I eat about 2500 calories a day. If I drop lower than that, my supply drops. Calorie wise, it is based on your own size and shape. I am a large woman (just over 6') so I get more calories than the average woman. GL! 

Kid #1 - 09/03/12
    Kid #2 - maybe???
    Diagnosed with Severe Ashermans 
    Hysteroscopy #10 - scar tissue grew back reblocking my right tube
    #11 or IVF with scarring still inside?
    1 lone embryo from September 2016 retreival, dx with Trisomy 16, starting fresh
  • I think it really is different for everyone-- I've had friends lose the weight instantly with no ill effects on supply.  I have not instantly lost the weight, but I have slowly gone down over time by walking 5 days a week, and at 3 months PP I started jogging twice a week.  I also eat very little white flour and processed food.  I still have some weight to lose, but it has consistently headed in the right directly.  My supply hasn't suffered at all.

Depending on how close you are to your PP size, I found it less worrisome just to buy a few pairs of pants in larger sizes and not worry about getting back into PP clothes until it is time to wean LO. 

• Join Weight Watchers -- they have an excellent program for lactating mothers. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • MomtoHMomtoH member

I lost 70lbs after DD was born (40 of which I gained while pregnant). I started out at 2400 cals and slowly dropped down to 1700 (like over months). My daughter is 16 months now and I eat around 1600 cals a day and am still losing weight. 

ETA: I was 200lbs when I gave birth. That is probably why I could consume so many cals at first and still lose weight, 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"