January 2013 Moms

MRI Study: Breastfeeding boosts babies' brain growth

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/06/130606141048.htm  

"The research found that by age 2, babies who had been breastfed exclusively for at least three months had enhanced development in key parts of the brain compared to children who were fed formula exclusively or who were fed a combination of formula and breastmilk. The extra growth was most pronounced in parts of the brain associated with language, emotional function, and cognition, the research showed."

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
*My Blog*
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
10/50 Read

my read shelf:
Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)

Re: MRI Study: Breastfeeding boosts babies' brain growth

• DH sent me this last week. Said he was proud of me for BFing exclusively insert smiley

• Cue the mom guilt about not being able to breast feed all over again.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagehansonam446:
    Cue the mom guilt about not being able to breast feed all over again.

Ditto, I have had to do a combo because I have a low supply and cannot sustain DD. Try not to feel guilty, our babies will be just fine. It is not our fault that EBF was just not in the cards. Our babies are still happy and healthy.
  • DCKateDCKate member
    I beat myself up pretty badly for a month after DD was born because I physically could not produce enough milk to keep her thriving. She's hitting all of her milestones early and appears to be just fine on formula. I'm really happy for those of you who are able to breastfeed. Please don't make me feel badly for not being able to do it.
    Our little Samosa arrives in January!
  • All I could think was maybe this will balance out letting her watch TV to stop her crying.  So if you don't feel guilty about one thing, it's something else.
  • ta78ta78 member
    My kids are screwed.

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• I don't think this was meant to make FF moms feel bad. Breastmilk is an amazing food, I think that's universally known. I EBF but I didn't have breastmilk after 6 weeks myself and I'm a normal, daresay intelligent, person.

• imagebrachysira:
    All I could think was maybe this will balance out letting her watch TV to stop her crying.  So if you don't feel guilty about one thing, it's something else.

LMAO!  this exactly

William born 9/7/07
    Violet Mae born 1/15/13
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Yes, my kids are exclusively formula fed.  I'm not able to breastfeed. They both got partial BM as long as I could get them to latch which was only a couple of weeks each.  

FF mamas:  PLEASE don't let things like this make you feel guilty.  I know it's hard to read things like this.  I KNOW.  Trust me.  I would love more than anything to be able to breastfeed my babies.  

At the same time, we need to be supportive of BFing mamas.  It benefits everyone to know more about breastfeeding, why it's beneficial, normalize it, etc.  Just because we're sharing good info about breastfeeding doesn't mean that people on the other side of the equation need to feel bad about their situation.  I totally get that it's an emotionally charged issue all around, but it's an important issue.  That's my motivation for sharing things like this. :)

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Thank you for sharing, OP!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Please do not worry! My nephew was formula fed and he's an effing genius. I exaggerate.

I'm a HUGE breastfeeding fan, but formula is NOT the devil!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"