February 2013 Moms

Poll: baby cues

I'm reading a sleep book right now, which has me thinking about sleep/hungry cues and some of the silly ones my kids have had.

When Jack was a baby, he would suck on his fist when he was sleepy.  When he wanted to nurse he would just divebomb at my chest or do this weird lamprey-like sucking thing along my collarbone.  Now, he's the master of the hundred-yard-stare.

I can tel how tired Rhys is by the strength of his bite.  He loves to nom on the knuckle of my finger (bent and turned sideways).  When he is awake and alert, he just kind of noms with enough pressure to soothe his gums.  When he is starting to get tired, he chomps a bit more forcefully.  When I am holding him, and he chomps on my shoulder or my finger with all of his might, I know I had better put him to bed NOW lol.  And, if he's lying down and is hungry he will roll onto his side and root toward the bed/blanket that he is laying on.  As if the mattress or floor has a boob.

So, tell me Feb2013, what funny or strange cues does your baby give? 

Missed m/c discovered 3/15/12 at 8w2d: "Henry."

imageView Full Size Image
Jack 04/29/10 dairy peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder, Autism
Rhys 01/25/13 Peanut and tree nut allergy, MSPI
Lilypie - (cF7R) Lilypie - (Phka)

"We are in Buckingham Palace, the very heart of the British nation.  Sherlock Holmes, put your trousers ON!"

Re: Poll: baby cues

• She does the rubbing eyes thing most times so we know she's sleepy.

But she also does this "trap door" thing if she gets sleepy when she's eating. It's like her mouth clamps shut and then you know that her eyes will close shortly after. She won't even take a pacifier, which she loves, at that point. It's like "Nope!" The she promptly passes out. It's really funny to watch.

Lilypie - (KNqh)
  • When Rory is hungry he will bite my shoulder if I am carrying him. He also tends to bark. I guess that's really the only way to describe it! When he is getting tired (or bored sometimes) he will throw his arms up, rake his nails down his head and give an arch/twist of his back. He doesn't do normal things like yawn very often. :P

ETA: When he goes down at night, before he falls asleep he raises his legs as high as he can and body slams them down onto his crib rapidly. You can even hear it across the hall- it's hilarious! 

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• Jackson gets fussy and wants no part of anything but his bottle when he's hungry, which is pretty straight forward. When he's getting tired though, he's pretty hilarious. Besides the standard rubbing of the eyes, when he's tired he starts talking incessantly. Cooing, moaning, sighing, nonstop. It's almost like he's actually trying to speak and say, "Yo, Mama! Put me to bed pronto!" He does it when you lie him down, too, which is much preferred to the overtired fussing we get if we miss his little window of sleep opportunity.

View Full Size Imageimage

• I know when Boden is really tired when he is fussing, but his arms are completely stationary by his sides. It's like the swaddle had an adverse effect on his limbs. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • image DC2London:

And, if he's lying down and is hungry he will roll onto his side and root toward the bed/blanket that he is laying on.  As if the mattress or floor has a boob.

DD does this. I figured its b/c at night my boob is right there and that's the motion she does to get it.

She also will "Ack. Ack. Ack! ACK!" at me sometimes if she has a dirty diaper.It turns into crying if I don't get to her fast enough.

She'll start this cranky, grumbly, whiny or angry baby babble when she is sleepy. This also dissolves into crying if I don't catch on right away.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • tdmd09tdmd09
    Eighth Anniversary 250 Answers 1000 Comments Combo Breaker
    L has started rubbing his eyes when he's tired. His funniest cue is when he's tired or hungry or generally stressed out he puts his hands on his head and rubs his head. And when he's laying down and starts to get hungry, he'll kick one leg. Once he's really hungry, it's both legs.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Congrats to both my TTC buddies, Amberley18 and sb2006 on their beautiful babies!
  • JRomeHJRomeH
    Ninth Anniversary 250 Answers 2500 Comments 500 Love Its
    C's laughs start to sound like coughs,  which is a prelude to crying.  Also he tries to nurse on everything he comes into contact with when tired.

Surprise!  BFP 12/1/13...EDD 7/29/14
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

M/C 6/17/07
    M/C 10/31/11
  • Henry has a full head of hair, so when he's tired he just starts holding onto it. His latest hunger cues is to smack his lips at me and smile until the bottle starts shake!!
  • image Drea926:
    When Rory is hungry he will bite my shoulder if I am carrying him. He also tends to bark. I guess that's really the only way to describe it! When he is getting tired or bored sometimes he will throw his arms up, rake his nails down his head and give an arch/twist of his back. He doesn't do normal things like yawn very often. :PETA: When he goes down at night, before he falls asleep he raises his legs as high as he can and body slams them down onto his crib rapidly. You can even hear it across the hall it's hilarious!nbsp;

Henry has started the leg banging recently. Glad my child isn't the only one!
  • image Drea926:
    ETA: When he goes down at night, before he falls asleep he raises his legs as high as he can and body slams them down onto his crib rapidly. You can even hear it across the hall- it's hilarious! 

DD1 did this all the time from the get-go! On the changing table, in her playpen, in her crib, everywhere. She still does it from time to time, actually, and when we had her in the PnP on vacation a few weeks ago, she did it and it made a huge noise. It startled both of us, and then we started laughing, which I tried to control because I was trying to be strict and convince her it was time for a nap. It was really funny, though, and I heard her doing it over and over for the next few minutes before she fell asleep.

DD2 does it sometimes in bed, but only occasionally. Nothing like what DD1 did!

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• The only thing DD does when she's tired or hungry is cry, haha. But she does growl a lot and I can't figure out what it means. Like, she literally makes a growling sound in her throat dozens of times a day. I think she just likes how it sounds. DH thinks she's trying to sound like our dog Huh?
    PCOS with long, irregular cycles
    First round of Clomid in May 2012= BFP #1, DD born January 2013 :)
    BFP #2 on 1/3/14, EDD 9/13/14- Team Blue! 

• image kleigh926:
    The only thing DD does when she's tired or hungry is cry, haha. But she does growl a lot and I can't figure out what it means. Like, she literally makes a growling sound in her throat dozens of times a day. I think she just likes how it sounds. DH thinks she's trying to sound like our dog Huh?

DD does this too! Mostly she growls while licking her fist, but she'll growl while/instead of talking baby babble. I love the show Bob's Burgers and the growling always reminds me of Tina's angsty moan.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • SagenSagen
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    All my babies get red eyebrows when they are tired :)

Mom to 4 cute kids! 9 yo girl 7 yo boy 5 yo boy and new baby boy!
  • image Sagen:
    All my babies get red eyebrows when they are tired :)

Mine too!! 

Missed m/c discovered 3/15/12 at 8w2d: "Henry."

imageView Full Size Image
    Jack 04/29/10 dairy peanut and seasonal allergies; Sensory Processing Disorder, Autism
    Rhys 01/25/13 Peanut and tree nut allergy, MSPI
    Lilypie - (cF7R) Lilypie - (Phka)

"We are in Buckingham Palace, the very heart of the British nation.  Sherlock Holmes, put your trousers ON!"

• Lol, DC, E does the same thing, rooting around the bed, floor, or his own shoulder when he is tired.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)