Working Moms

What would you do?

Currently we live 14 hours away from all family. I lost my job and have been looking. DH's job pays less and doesn't have insurance so I need a job. I was just offered a job in the area we currently live that pays less and only has insurance for me so I would still need to get insurance for DH and my LO. I also just found out I'm pregnant with baby #2.

I have sent out a bunch of applications to the area where our families currently live. The positions have just closed and I'm hoping to hear from them for interviews soon. I am a teacher, so should I accept this new job or wait and see if I get a different job closer to family that pays more and has insurance? TIA!

AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
image

Re: What would you do?

  • There is no guarantee about the other jobs you applied for.  I would accept the offer you have now.
  • I say accept the job. I know it's not the best and most professional thing to do, but people do accept jobs and then back out later for various reasons. You will burn a bridge if you do, but you would only back out if you had a different offer that was set.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree - accept the current job offer. For insurance, would your child qualify for SCHIP? If not, DH should look for a job that can cover your child. 

    Also, downsize whatever bills you can - replace phone plans with pay as you go basic phones, cancel cable, etc etc.  

    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Pips09Pips09
    2500 Comments 250 Answers Fifth Anniversary 500 Love Its
    member

    I would take the job offer you have. You don't know if another will materialize at all, and I would not risk your livelihood on it. (a bird in the hand, you know)

  • I was in this situation last year, offered a position that paid much less than I had been making. I almost took it, but realized I would have been worse off taking that and paying for 2 kids in daycare than staying on unemployment until I found a higher paying job. I did eventually find one that we could afford for me to take, so that would be my decider, take the job offered if you can afford to. GL!
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image JLS0320:
    I was in this situation last year, offered a position that paid much less than I had been making. I almost took it, but realized I would have been worse off taking that and paying for 2 kids in daycare than staying on unemployment until I found a higher paying job. I did eventually find one that we could afford for me to take, so that would be my decider, take the job offered if you can afford to. GL!


    Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought if you turned down a job you are no longer eligible for unemployment.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards