May 2013 Moms
Options

Bit of umbilical cord left- anyone else?

Hi May Mamas! My LO is 12 days old, and she still has a bit of her umbilical cord in her belly button. The bulk of it fell off by day 5 or so, but there is still some stuck in there (it's dried, not infected or anything, looks like a scab) and it seems like it's not going to fall out any time soon. Has anyone else experienced this? I really want to give her a full-on bath, but don't want to mess up the rest of the stump. Thoughts?
She is here! 5-29-13

Re: Bit of umbilical cord left- anyone else?

• Options
    Ours just fell off Saturday, the scabby part anyways. It still has some stuff? in there like you described, but I've held off on a full bath also. We have a pedi appt in the morning where I was going to ask the same thing, but I've just continued cleaning it out with alcohol swabs. I figured 2 more days of sponge baths wouldn't hurt him, even though I'm pretty sure it's normal. At least according to my mother it is.
  • Options
    DD's did that. As long as its not still moist you can give full baths
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Most of my LO's cord fell off on day 4, but had a little bit left.  Had an appointment with pedi on day 6 and she said that last bit will fall off eventually too, but that I could start giving normal baths.

On day 9 it started to blead a little, I called, and they said that was normal.  At LO's 2 week checkup they looked at it and said it looked normal.

She's 19 days old now, and that little bit is still there.  I give normal baths 2 - 3 times a week, but I don't use soap on the belly button area.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Our little dude ripped his off around day 10. I freaked out but pedi said it was fine. It still bleeds from one little spot occasionally but it's healed great. We give baths no problem.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2:
    March - May 2014 - Natural cycles - no luck
    June 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    July 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    August 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    September 2014 - Clomid 50mg - Fingers crossed...

• Options
    kmcd23kmcd23 member
    G is 16 days old and still has his, just as much as he did when we left the hospital. We're seeing our new hopefully permanent pediatrician tomorrow, and I'm going to ask about it.
  • Options
    LO still had a little chunk left when we saw the pedi this morning and she peeled it off.  She said it was just dried blood that was stuck in there.  I'm excited to try a real bath now :)
  • Options
    S took 22 days to lose his. They don't worry until 4 weeks.
    TTC since 3/4/2010
    Me: PCOS, DH: normal
    Started seeing RE 11/10/2011
    8/31/2012 = BFP!!
    First Ultrasound... TRIPLETS! EDD 5/11/13
    Baby w/ no HB @ 10w4d - We love you angel baby.
    Baby A & B doing great. A/S 12/10/12 - Healthy BOYS!
    Sawyer & Silas born at 33+6 on 3/29/13
    imageimage
    imageView Raw Image" height="250" width="375">

image"Lilypie">image

• Options
    pnutgpnutg member
    My LO is almost 3 weeks and still has all his. I'm so ready for it to fall off
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My DDs fell off 2 days ago and she's 19 days old today.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My LOs stump accidentally came off the other night while I was changing her. It wasn't ready and I could tell because it was still a bit weepy in the middle.

I took her to the pedi today and they cauterized the small unhealed nub with silver nitrate. It should be fully healed in 2 to 3 days.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"